Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:39 PM

39 posts, read 118,589 times

Advertisements

I'm getting mixed results from a forum search of Crafton Heights. Is Obey Street in Crafton Heights far enough away from the Greenway projects to be safe? What about the area in general? Is it quite....safe? I'm looking at property close to the intersection of Arnold Street and Obey Street. Any insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 04:10 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Obey St. is certainly far enough from the Greenway projects.

Its across Steuben St. and up and down a fairly steep hill from Obey.

When the Greenway was built, it was deemed to be part of Crafton Heights. But in actuality, it could have just as easily to deemed to be part of Elliott as it is on an Elliot street (Crucible). When I lived over that way, I never considered it part of the heights.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:43 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,159 times
Obey seems safe to me. I've always seen it as a sleepy, quiet little street (a little rural actually). Its situated in a narrow valley that cuts from the top of the hill (Steuben) down to Noblestown Rd. Commuters sometimes use it as a cut through from Steuben to Noblestown but it is still a fairly quiet street. It is also very convenient to points east and south, along with downtown and the West End. There are a number of very nice older homes all along Obey. I've also heard that the dive-looking bar at the top of the street actually serves some good food.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:24 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
all this time i would have said "no, thats elliot" . from the google image, it looks like an aethetically pleasant place. good luck with your decision.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:32 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,052 times
Totally fine. I bought my house, which is technically in Crafton Heights in December 2012. There's a small plan of homes that was actually built in the mid 60s known as Crafton Heights Acres Plan. My cul-de-sac is so quiet, honestly I hear more air planes than I do cars. The location is great--super convenient to Downtown, Robinson, not even 2 miles off the Green Tree exit of the Parkway, etc.

The back exit to my little plan hits Arnold. If you're looking in that area, safety is my absolute least concern at my house honestly.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:35 AM

387 posts, read 470,740 times
I agree the area around Obey is good up along Steuben & around Arnold even better. Those little side streets down in that nook are good, some are run down, but not much problems there as far back as I can remember.

There are city steps that lead up to Schaeffer School & Dunbar field & sometimes teens party in the area, in the summer, but not big issues.

There's not a lot issues that come from the projects at Greenway for Crafton Heights, most of that trouble heads to the main drag through Elliott. And this wasnt a set of projects that much happened in to begin with, I walked through it for middle school daily, I think it was one of those 'test' housing projects where people had to buy in or something. Not sure if it is the same way now.

The issues in Crafton Heights were centered mostly around the intersection of Stratmore & Crafton Blvd.
There was a bar there right on Stratmore (the Stratmore) across from the pizza shop that ended up with a LOT of drug traffic & undesireables in that area all day long. To the best of my knowledge, it has been closed for a while & things have been getting back to normal.

*This is not to be confused with the bar around the corner right on Crafton Blvd, (heights Tavern) which is mostly just fine*
*Also not to be confused with the Obey House which is also fine. Both being safe to walk to/from as well. Obey house used to have good food, & some bar bowling leagues-not sure about if that still is going on.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:09 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Greenway doesnt spill into Crafton Heights, so essentially anywhere is fine. I heard of a few fights on Ringold back in the mid 2000's though. Though Elliott around Lorenz Avenue is no joke. Gang activity has been on the rise there ever since Broadhead/Westgate closed.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:22 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catia View Post

There's not a lot issues that come from the projects at Greenway for Crafton Heights, most of that trouble heads to the main drag through Elliott. And this wasnt a set of projects that much happened in to begin with, I walked through it for middle school daily, I think it was one of those 'test' housing projects where people had to buy in or something. Not sure if it is the same way now.

Exactly right, Greenway Park started off as a cooperative- similar to Allendale Circle and the townhomes across from St. Pete's on the North Side, just didn't turn out as successfully.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:11 PM

387 posts, read 470,740 times
AngryIrishman-are you inquiring for yourself or a friend or family member?

Aside from the HUD rent stuff--what are you looking for as far as things in the neighborhood?

Things you'd like to be near? What do you like to do?

For Crafton Heights, if you are not bus dependent, you'll be just fine.

You can make it if you are bus dependent, but grocery shopping would be a pain.
There is a bus at top of Obey, and one at the bottom. One at the bottom has limited service.

The Shop-n-Save is right over in Westwood on Noblestown Rd & also a bunch of other shops & restaurants, gas station & a couple of bars are right there at the + of Noblestown & Poplar--All is just fine.

There's a library & a park & nice places to eat/drink/socialize down in West end too.

Or you can go to Giant Eagle/Save-a-lot down in Crafton Ingram shopping center, & there are also other shops, restaurants & a few bars with good food as well.

You are only a few minutes from quite a few decent places with lots of stuff to do:
West End, Greentree, Carnegie, Crafton, Robinson--

Old 01-13-2014, 07:22 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Greenway got bad when East Sheraden got bad. You can directly link their demise to Fairywood's Westgate Village Apartments & Milt Washington and the Broadhead Manor Housing Projects & one big flood. By 2005 former residents of Westgate Village became the majority of the Greenway Park Apartment's population, but former Broadhead Manor residents weren't far behind. During the 90's Greenway was still relatively safe and gangfree. However, with the demolition and flooding of Broadhead & remolding of Westgate: gangs, drugs, riff-raff, and violence migrated into Greenway, Sheraden, and Elliott. Plus to a lesser extent, back in 1998-2004 Broadhead/Westgate people moved to: McKees Rocks, the West End, Carnegie Towers, Brett Manor, the East Mall Apartments, the Chauncey Drive Projects, and Northview Heights/Marshall-Shadeland and shook things up in those places. Luckily Broadhead's bloods moved into Chauncey Drive and McKees Rocks Terrace/Hays Manor. While Broadhead's main gang- the Westside Convictz, moved into gang free section 8 areeas and or got along with the newly formed Northview Heights Crips because they both didn't like Manchester. This was in during their short stay in Northview, Brett Manor, etc after Hurricane Ivan-before they moved into Sheraden, Elliott, and Greenway.

Last edited by Uptown kid; 01-13-2014 at 07:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh