Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:16 PM

387 posts, read 466,310 times

Advertisements

ok, so I am TRYING to figure out what you are talking about or asking--It is really hard to decipher what you are after.

Are you wanting some information on Duquesne PA--as in the city with the zipcode 15110?

The term 'Hunky' in Pittsburgh & surrounding local areas can go 1 of a few ways--yes, it is derived from 'mill hunky' mostly, & at some point many were Hungarian, & also Slovak, Polish, etc

Some people take large offense to the term, some people embrace it.

It was a derogatory term at it's inception, meaning a dirty mill worker, & (wealthy)people looked down up them.
Other Pittsburgher's embraced the term, both for it's ethnic & it's trade relationship.
Mill workers were hard working, & there's no shame in hard work. Dirty mill workers are as much a part of our heritage as pierogies & keilbasi

As for Duquesne the city--it's not a safe place. It is sadly a dank dark shadow of the place it once was, riffled with blight, drugs, gangs, shootings & crime, day or night-doesn't matter. There are edges which border West Mifflin which are still OK, & a few tiny pockets & nooks, but when the drive-bys & shootings occur, the bullets know not boundaries til they hit a target, which is a shame, because this was once a beautiful place. Many shootings go unsolved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 PM

4,692 posts, read 8,988,628 times
Duquesne is depressed and crime-ridden, but there are some nice neighborhoods. It's like any of Pittsburgh's depressed surrounding towns in that there are good and bad parts. Granted, it's in the Mon Valley, so has declined more than most, over many decades. The area north of the tracks (close to Kennywood) is pretty sweet. It's very walkable, and the houses are solidly built and well maintained.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:51 PM

preservationpioneer--what tracks are you referring to?

I am in Duquesne daily-unfortuneately.

There are very very few nice little pockets, & they border West Mifflin, but still not sure I'd deem them 'sweet' lol.

While looking at houses, I viewed a couple there, fell in love with one, on Maryland Ave, beautiful house-perfect condition-has everything-next day on the news there was a shooting 2 blocks over, no one caught. So basically, you've got little wiggle room when things erupt, & they do erupt many times per week there presently. It's sad, beautiful houses can't even be sold for 35k, fully loaded with garage & double landscaped lot in the 'good' parts due to the violence there.

If he's 78 & doesn't know the area, I'd certainly NOT want him getting lost, because that is a recipe for disaster.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:00 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Oh I don't know. Duquesne doesn't seem all that bad.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nsylvania.html

Old 01-16-2014, 01:24 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,988,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catia View Post
preservationpioneer--what tracks are you referring to?

I am in Duquesne daily-unfortuneately.

There are very very few nice little pockets, & they border West Mifflin, but still not sure I'd deem them 'sweet' lol.

While looking at houses, I viewed a couple there, fell in love with one, on Maryland Ave, beautiful house-perfect condition-has everything-next day on the news there was a shooting 2 blocks over, no one caught. So basically, you've got little wiggle room when things erupt, & they do erupt many times per week there presently. It's sad, beautiful houses can't even be sold for 35k, fully loaded with garage & double landscaped lot in the 'good' parts due to the violence there.

If he's 78 & doesn't know the area, I'd certainly NOT want him getting lost, because that is a recipe for disaster.
The neighborhood surrounding Commonwealth Avenue, above Thompson Run, and closer to Kennywood. This is generally considered the good part of Duquesne, although I don't think it's the only good part.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
So tell me about the place.
Maybe I should post in the Dayton forum:

"Hey, you guys really should come to Pittsburgh. Oh, and, I ran across this one dude from Dayton who posted something stupid in another forum. Man, you guys should really watch who represents your town."

Make any sense? No.

I reported it as advertising and/or harassment. Apparently the mods don't agree....

Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,686,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Oh I don't know. Duquesne doesn't seem all that bad.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nsylvania.html
What happened with the arson in 2010? Did someone just the whole town on fire?

I was in a Duquense in 2013, it's not a place you want to be. At all.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:16 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,736,994 times
Quote:

The term 'Hunky' in Pittsburgh & surrounding local areas can go 1 of a few ways--yes, it is derived from 'mill hunky' mostly, & at some point many were Hungarian, & also Slovak, Polish, etc

------

As for Duquesne the city--it's not a safe place. It is sadly a dank dark shadow of the place it once was, riffled with blight, drugs, gangs, shootings & crime, day or night-doesn't matter. There are edges which border West Mifflin which are still OK, & a few tiny pockets & nooks, but when the drive-bys & shootings occur, the bullets know not boundaries til they hit a target, which is a shame, because this was once a beautiful place. Many shootings go unsolved.
Thank you. That's about the kind of information I hoped would be posted.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:33 PM

Not a problem--
posted by a hunky who embraces the term
--but we spell it 'hunkie'--as in:
"hey are yinz guyz goin dahn to the hunkie club 'nat-tonight? itz ladies night & there's 10 cent perogies"

Old 01-17-2014, 06:49 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,736,994 times
Quote:
Not a problem--
posted by a hunky who embraces the term
--but we spell it 'hunkie'--as in:
"hey are yinz guyz goin dahn to the hunkie club 'nat-tonight? itz ladies night & there's 10 cent perogies"
And, in such lies the problem. Never had one in all my 78 years. At least not that I know of....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh