Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 08:22 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times

Advertisements

The G-20 gave me and a lot of other people a 5 day weekend so I cant complain about it too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 08:41 AM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Out of rep, but this comment deserves it.

It's good to know that not all of us kiss the corporatist boot as it stomps our face. This forum really puts its love for the city to a bizarre level to where they don't care if students are tear gassed in their dorms because, "IT'S GOOD FOR DA CITY!!!!!111"
People from all sides behaved rather stupidly (though you are certainly correct in pointing out that a lot of innocent people--many of them students--were unjustly treated).

I remember when the roving band of out-of-town anarchists burst into Oakland and smashed storefront windows. The funny thing was that they ransacked Pamela's while leaving Starbucks alone.

I just stayed out of trouble. I think I played some golf/did some regional exploring. A lot of my fellow creative nonfiction majors did get caught in the fray and had some interesting stories to tell as a result.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:57 AM

273 posts, read 346,473 times
Quote:
Out of rep, but this comment deserves it.

It's good to know that not all of us kiss the corporatist boot as it stomps our face. This forum really puts its love for the city to a bizarre level to where they don't care if students are tear gassed in their dorms because, "IT'S GOOD FOR DA CITY!!!!!111"
Serious question: what happened to students and demonstrators?

Old 01-17-2014, 08:58 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,686,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I remember when the roving band of out-of-town anarchists burst into Oakland and smashed storefront windows. The funny thing was that they ransacked Pamela's while leaving Starbucks alone.
I too remember that. The "roving band of anarchists" were less than a dozen dumb kids and there is footage of agent provocateurs actually in their midst. That didn't stop the news from looping the same piece of footage over and over to pretend that the actions the government took were somehow justified.

I'm not singling you out personally, but it's sad to see how short people's memories are. Maybe we can ask Kyle Kramer who was forced to kneel down and take "trophy photo" with police forces how good it was for the city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD2zyrNVjFY

Old 01-17-2014, 09:11 AM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
I too remember that. The "roving band of anarchists" were less than a dozen dumb kids and there is footage of agent provocateurs actually in their midst. That didn't stop the news from looping the same piece of footage over and over to pretend that the actions the government took were somehow justified.

I'm not singling you out personally, but it's sad to see how short people's memories are. Maybe we can ask Kyle Kramer who was forced to kneel down and take "trophy photo" with police forces how good it was for the city.

Chicago Police Take Abu Ghraib-style Trophy Photo with Arrested Pitt Uni Student at G-20 - YouTube
Was that the same troop that threw bags of urine at people exiting banks?

I specifically said the police committed quite a few injustices against innocent civilians. I'm completely with you on the city handling things poorly (at best). Even though I made it a point to stay away from the chaos, I still lived in Oakland, so I saw a lot of nasty **** go down.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:31 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,798,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Why can't Pittsburgh just be Pittsburgh? Why does it need to be San Francisco, or Portland, or some other trendy place? The one thing I like about Pittsburgh is that it has a unique identity. It doesn't have to pretend to be something it's not. It's disctinctive on its own.
I also agree with you.

I'm thinking of that blog post from the British woman who visited a while back and liked the city. She commented that there is no tourist infrastructure to speak of, and so therefore it takes more effort for an outsider to find their way around and seek out the interesting parts. I think this lack of a touristy culture adds a significant amount of charm to the city and is perhaps one reason why I took to it so easily when I moved here. Pittsburgh's profile is growing, so perhaps one day Penn Ave in the Strip will be as packed as Pike Place Market or no local will set foot in Market Square because it is always packed full of tourists and elaborate gift shops much like Times Square. I doubt that will happen, especially the latter, but I like the fact that almost nothing in Pittsburgh was built for the sole purpose of entertaining visitors.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I also agree with you.

I'm thinking of that blog post from the British woman who visited a while back and liked the city. She commented that there is no tourist infrastructure to speak of, and so therefore it takes more effort for an outsider to find their way around and seek out the interesting parts. I think this lack of a touristy culture adds a significant amount of charm to the city and is perhaps one reason why I took to it so easily when I moved here. Pittsburgh's profile is growing, so perhaps one day Penn Ave in the Strip will be as packed as Pike Place Market or no local will set foot in Market Square because it is always packed full of tourists and elaborate gift shops much like Times Square. I doubt that will happen, especially the latter, but I like the fact that almost nothing in Pittsburgh was built for the sole purpose of entertaining visitors.
I agree with this, but I wish Pittsburgh put a little more thought into its tourist infrastructure. For example, you take the incline up to Mt. Washington and you're just sort of left there. I don't remember anything to encourage you to linger or explore the surrounding neighborhood, spend some money in shops and pubs, etc. Are there even gift shops up there? I just remember very expensive big restaurants that tourists in sneakers are not going to stop into for a quick bite. How about a walking map of Mt Washington or maybe some artists or street performers?

If I were an art student, I'd sit up on Mt. Washington painting scenes of the skyline and displaying them for tourists to buy, like they do along the Seine in Paris or on the Buda hills in Budapest.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:45 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Why can't Pittsburgh just be Pittsburgh? Why does it need to be San Francisco, or Portland, or some other trendy place? The one thing I like about Pittsburgh is that it has a unique identity. It doesn't have to pretend to be something it's not. It's disctinctive on its own.
I agree with this too. I think it's possibly a collective "inferiority complex" at work here that people are always comparing Pittsburgh to some other city. You don't see that on other city boards here on CD. Even though my fair city usually fares well on many of these "Top 10" lists, no one posts them there. Ditto some of the other city forums I visit.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
I agree with this, but I wish Pittsburgh put a little more thought into its tourist infrastructure. For example, you take the incline up to Mt. Washington and you're just sort of left there. I don't remember anything to encourage you to linger or explore the surrounding neighborhood, spend some money in shops and pubs, etc. Are there even gift shops up there? I just remember very expensive big restaurants that tourists in sneakers are not going to stop into for a quick bite. How about a walking map of Mt Washington or maybe some artists or street performers?.

They do sell souvenirs in the upper station of the Duquesne Incline. And on the other side, there is plenty of crap available for tourists at the bottom in Station Square across the street.

I don't think a walking map of MW for tourists is really needed. There is just one street, Grandview, that the out-of-towners need to concern themselves about. I doubt that many want to see the Mt. Washington Hollow or see the sights on Kingsboro or take a tour of South Hills Junction.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
They do sell souvenirs in the upper station of the Duquesne Incline. And on the other side, there is plenty of crap available for tourists at the bottom in Station Square across the street.

I don't think a walking map of MW for tourists is really needed. There is just one street, Grandview, that the out-of-towners need to concern themselves about. I doubt that many want to see the Mt. Washington Hollow or see the sights on Kingsboro or take a tour of South Hills Junction.
Ugh. 1980.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh