Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 09:32 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
Gotcha.

I also don't think the city should sponsor new businesses. I'm wondering why Pittsburghers don't see the opportunity or why I'm incorrect in the opportunity I think I'm seeing.

From what I saw online, a vendor license is about 400 bucks a year. It wouldn't take much time to recoup that, especially if you were selling higher end merchandise, like paintings. But maybe Pittsburgh doesn't get enough tourists or the kinds of tourists who will drop $400+ for a painting. I would spend that much if the painting were tasteful (like of the bridges) and good.
I was up there in Sept showing my friend from the Bay Area around. We walked around and looked at the view then took the incline down and ate at Station Square and took the Ducky Tour. Probably would have stayed on top of Mt. Washington if there were more to do up there. There certainly seems like retail shops and restaurants would do well. I think that businesses that catered to locals and tourists would do well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 09:37 AM

273 posts, read 348,531 times
There should be a thread dedicated to improving Pittsburgh's tourism infrastructure and/or ideas for businesses.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:39 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

I don't think a walking map of MW for tourists is really needed. There is just one street, Grandview, that the out-of-towners need to concern themselves about. I doubt that many want to see the Mt. Washington Hollow or see the sights on Kingsboro or take a tour of South Hills Junction.
They might want to see Chatham Village, though (but I'm not sure the residents of CV want people to be stomping around their bucolic planned community.) When I lived on Mt. W. and now when I have visitors we go up and down the Mon Incline, not the Duquesne. There's more on Shiloh St to look at (though not much) and Station Square, though a tourist trap in its own right is something to do.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
They might want to see Chatham Village, though (but I'm not sure the residents of CV want people to be stomping around their bucolic planned community.) When I lived on Mt. W. and now when I have visitors we go up and down the Mon Incline, not the Duquesne. There's more on Shiloh St to look at (though not much) and Station Square, though a tourist trap in its own right is something to do.
Station Square has a special place in my heart for some reason so I get defensive when people criticize it. Unfortnately, the last time I took visitors from Massachusetts there two years ago, they thought it was depressing, which irritated me, although I secretly sort of understood where they were coming from. It has a closed-off-1980s-mall vibe.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:53 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Is San Francisco the Pittsburgh of the West?

Old 01-17-2014, 02:37 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,051 times
Pittsburgh is the Pittsburgh of Atlanta.

Birmingham is the Pittsburgh of the South.

Hamilton is the Pittsburgh of Canada.

Sheffield is the Pittsburgh of the UK.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Pittsburgh is the Pittsburgh of Atlanta.

Birmingham is the Pittsburgh of the South.

Hamilton is the Pittsburgh of Canada.

Sheffield is the Pittsburgh of the UK.
Bratislava, Kosice and about 27 other places in Slovakia are the Pittsburghs of Slovakia.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
Bratislava, Kosice and about 27 other places in Slovakia are the Pittsburghs of Slovakia.
Only Košice. There were no steel mills in Bratislava from what I could remember. I'm sure 27 other towns cannot claim to be (or to have been) the center of the Slovak steel industry.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:08 PM

One more:

Kaunas is the Pittsburgh of Lithuania.

Kaunas shows one idea on how to deal with the economically downtrodden Monongahela valley: dam the river!

Old 01-17-2014, 03:15 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Only Košice. There were no steel mills in Bratislava from what I could remember. I'm sure 27 other towns cannot claim to be (or to have been) the center of the Slovak steel industry.

Kosice has a major US Steel mill, Pittsburgh hasn't had one for many years.

Kosice is more the Braddock of Slovakia if that's the criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh