Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 08:16 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Only by 18 years. And SF has been bigger than Pittsburgh since about 1870.
That is incorrect. They didn't pass us in population until after WW2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:24 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
That is incorrect. They didn't pass us in population until after WW2.
Yeah, I misread the numbers.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:28 AM

352 posts, read 550,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
I'm not proposing a gift shop.

I'm asking why there aren't small businesses (think pubs and art galleries and street vendors -- selling nice things) to give people who have ridden the incline something to do and buy once up there. You've brought a group of people to a particular point (which is a good thing), but there is no effort made to engage them or get them to spend money. That's one of the main points of tourism, and tourism is a good thing.

I think the experience as is feels cheap, partly because the top of Mt. Washington seems so dead and dated.
I was also kind of confused about how there isn't much to speak of at the top of that hill. That view of the city is unparalleled/spectacular. If Pittsburgh keeps going on it's positive trajectory the housing costs on that hill with that view are going to be in the stratosphere. If I was living there I would definitely invest in real estate there. The only downside I can think of is maybe it's hard to commute from there? You guys have to tell me, because I don't know

Old 02-19-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
I was up there in Sept showing my friend from the Bay Area around. We walked around and looked at the view then took the incline down and ate at Station Square and took the Ducky Tour. Probably would have stayed on top of Mt. Washington if there were more to do up there. There certainly seems like retail shops and restaurants would do well. I think that businesses that catered to locals and tourists would do well.
A row of outdoor cafes, restaurants, and pubs up there would be amazing. That might be a reality in the future. Another possibility is that as the city becomes more popular, developers stuff the cliff with wall to wall hotels (yuck)

Old 02-19-2014, 08:35 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
I was also kind of confused about how there isn't much to speak of at the top of that hill. That view of the city is unparalleled/spectacular. If Pittsburgh keeps going on it's positive trajectory the housing costs on that hill with that view are going to be in the stratosphere. If I was living there I would definitely invest in real estate there. The only downside I can think of is maybe it's hard to commute from there? You guys have to tell me, because I don't know
Not at all, its literally an incline ride and a walk across the bridge from downtown. You could not live any closer to downtown in a detached single family home except for maybe Crawford-Roberts in the lower Hill District.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:43 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,769 times
Shiloh Street has some good pubs and bars and is right off of Grandview Ave. I'm not sure what more is expected up there? I guess some trendier stuff could be there than what currently exists. Or did you mean places right up front with an actual view?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:43 AM

295 posts, read 659,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
My two cents: After living on the West Coast (Portland) I've been looking for a city on the East Coast that is similar to Portland and/or Seattle to raise kids. We moved back because family is in the South and Northeast. I've been researching and visiting a lot of cities from New York State down to North Carolina. I had never considered Pittsburgh, but every time I went through it I was surprised that it reminded me of a West Coast city.Integrated into beautiful natural surroundings, lots of water, lots of bridges (like Portland), laid back polite/friendly people, fun, strong arts and music communities, safe, unique neighborhoods and housing, strong tech scene/industry, entrepreneurial spirit. I can see some of the similarities to San Fran as well. Two of the other top cities I was considering: Charlotte and Raleigh/Triangle are nice, but pretty bland and suburban. Raleigh area was my first pick, but I was always underwhelmed when visiting there (maybe because it's hyped so much). When I first moved to Portland it was cheap and a hidden gem. It was the last West Coast city that was cheap, but it had many great qualities, including the ones I've listed above. The cost of houses increased the entire time I lived there and beyond as people discovered it. I definitely think the same thing is going to happen to Pittsburgh. It appears to be on a very positive trajectory. It is now on the top of my list.
I have lived in Portland and San Francisco, am originally from the East Coast, and moved back, too. I thought the same thing when I visited Pittsburgh, that it reminded me of Portland. One saving grace for Pittsburgh to keep from gentrifying to point of being unaffordable may be its location. Portland being on the I-5 corridor is basically a straight line to other West Coast cities. It takes some effort to get to Pittsburgh from the East Coast cities--I know, I take the bus (pretty ride, though from D.C.). Another factor is the West Coast counter-culture that seems to permeate the air and water from Northern CA to Vancouver, B.C. There is a just a different feel to the West Coast that may not exist anywhere east of Mississippi, other than a few small college towns.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:53 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expdxer View Post
I have lived in Portland and San Francisco, am originally from the East Coast, and moved back, too. I thought the same thing when I visited Pittsburgh, that it reminded me of Portland. One saving grace for Pittsburgh to keep from gentrifying to point of being unaffordable may be its location. Portland being on the I-5 corridor is basically a straight line to other West Coast cities. It takes some effort to get to Pittsburgh from the East Coast cities--I know, I take the bus (pretty ride, though from D.C.). Another factor is the West Coast counter-culture that seems to permeate the air and water from Northern CA to Vancouver, B.C. There is a just a different feel to the West Coast that may not exist anywhere east of Mississippi, other than a few small college towns.
How does it take more effort to get to Pittsburgh from DC (4 hours) than San Francisco to Portland (10 hours)?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
How does it take more effort to get to Pittsburgh from DC (4 hours) than San Francisco to Portland (10 hours)?
Vancouver, Seattle and Portland are all in a straight line down the coast. As you go further south you hit some smaller cool cities (Salem, Bend, Eugene.. people who think Portland is too "big city" and REALLY want a laid back lifestyle settle in these little cities, towns) and just some of the world's most incredible geography before you hit San Fran.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:10 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Not to mention it's 5 hours from Pittsburgh to Toronto which is one of the most major cities in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh