Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:05 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Glad to hear you young whippersnappers still study history.

So answer me this Grasshopper: What was his greatest achievement?
Building that observation tower on the Gettysburg battlefield that my buddy and I use to smoke p... never mind.

Take your pick: ending the Korean War, avoiding war with China over Taiwan, diffusing the Suez Canal crises, desegregating the military, building the interstate highway system, managing a broad economic consensus that solidified most of the New Deal policies, secretly undermining Joseph McCarthy, keeping Dick Nixon in his place... and of course, before he became President, leading the Allies to victory over Nazi Germany.

His greatest defeat? Losing to the Carlisle Indian School in 1911 as a starting halfback for Army. But hey, there was no shame in being defeated by Jim Thrope and company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 07:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I'm all in favor of letting the rest of the world fend for themselves.
We've tried that approach before with disastrous results. Neutrality doesn't necessarily breed peace.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:05 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
Should I rename this thread "Pittsburgh chat thread 2.0" ? Don't think I won't.
or
some of you could take their off topic discussions to the chat thread and I won't have to spoil your fun.
Yac.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:01 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Does Pittsburgh have a bunch of meditative/yogic retreats in the surrounding mountains and organic farms growing crops from all over the world nearby?

Old 04-08-2014, 05:29 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
I'm not proposing a gift shop.

I'm asking why there aren't small businesses (think pubs and art galleries and street vendors -- selling nice things) to give people who have ridden the incline something to do and buy once up there. You've brought a group of people to a particular point (which is a good thing), but there is no effort made to engage them or get them to spend money. That's one of the main points of tourism, and tourism is a good thing.

I think the experience as is feels cheap, partly because the top of Mt. Washington seems so dead and dated.
What does the top of the incline and the area around it look like now? Is it this? Anyway of getting rid of or developing on top of that parking lot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I went to Portland, OR for a few days last year and immediately thought "this is the Pittsburgh of the west coast." River running through downtown, major university downtown, incline down to river bank, cool balance of blue collar and intellectual sensibilities everywhere. I wouldn't think to compare Pittsburgh to SF right off the bat mostly due to one being on the ocean, but I do think Pittsburgh is more SF-like than eastern cities that are actually on the coast.
Portland seems like a better comparison. It'd be amazing if Pittsburgh could retroactively force an urban growth boundary so instead of spreading development out further and further into the suburbs and exurbs, the city and closer in older communities had to make do with just doing things better. Also would be great for Pittsburgh to have as good of a light rail system.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:52 PM

814 posts, read 1,149,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What does the top of the incline and the area around it look like now? Is it this? Anyway of getting rid of or developing on top of that parking lot?
I think people earlier were more referring more to the Mon Incline, which is at the other end of Grandview from what you linked. It has Shiloh St at the top, which is home to a plethora of restaurants and shops and bars if visitors could be bothered to walk a block off of Grandview to get to them (there are even little pedestrian wayfinding arrows pointing the way - the idea that there is "nothing at the top of the Mon Incline" is a joke).

The Duquesne Incline has that "restaurant row" at the top that you linked to. Something could perhaps be done with that parking lot, though I'd guess it might get pretty full on the weekends when those restaurants are a hot ticket. But anyway, that Incline is more off the beaten path, being at the far end of Station Square and not as immediately accessible to foot traffic from Downtown or the T.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
The Duquesne Incline has that "restaurant row" at the top that you linked to.
If only the restaurants offered more than just a view.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:17 AM

632 posts, read 853,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post

The Duquesne Incline has that "restaurant row" at the top that you linked to. Something could perhaps be done with that parking lot, though I'd guess it might get pretty full on the weekends when those restaurants are a hot ticket. But anyway, that Incline is more off the beaten path, being at the far end of Station Square and not as immediately accessible to foot traffic from Downtown or the T.
The area of Grandview Avenue near the Duquesne Incline was long referred to by locals as "Up Front".
It was a thriving little business district with bars, restaurants, banks, a grocery store, candy store, etc.
This was mostly demolished for the ill-fated Trimont development attempted by Christopher Passodelis in the 1980's. The luxury condo tower got built. The replacement shopping and business facilities never did. Primarily because the bank foreclosed on Passodelis when the condos would not sell at their original asking price.

Once again....do NOT let them start mass demolition until you are SURE what is going to replace it.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:42 AM

814 posts, read 1,149,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
The area of Grandview Avenue near the Duquesne Incline was long referred to by locals as "Up Front".
It was a thriving little business district with bars, restaurants, banks, a grocery store, candy store, etc.
I've seen old photos of "Up Front," very sad what happened.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:01 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Too funny! Look at the answer to "Do you think seasons are overrated?". FLOWCHART: Should You Move to SF? - The Bold Italic - San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh