Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 PM

273 posts, read 348,581 times

Advertisements

My mother loves to shop in Robinson T. and I hate that place. I wish more folks would move to downtown Pittsburgh and more shopping would open up. How come that isn't happening? Or is it, and I don't know it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 12:37 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I don't think it's fair to rag on other cities for having "no character" because they have boring ass suburbs. Last time I checked, ours were filled with 50's ranch homes and places like Robinson too. Hell, even in Garfield in East Liberty you're starting to see this type of stuff pop up. People went bonkers when a Target opened up and celebrate when they get a new Chipotle.
Exactly. I would like to see them grow economically and population wise as these two cities. Plus if we were growing at that rate most of the construction would be be new. The new housing built in the hill district doesnt have much character. Even if these old buildings can be saved it is more economically feasable to start new.

Look at the produce terminal in the strip, it will get leveled and replaced by new boring construction.

Having character doesnt pay tax bills, employ people or grow a city.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:48 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
My mother loves to shop in Robinson T. and I hate that place. I wish more folks would move to downtown Pittsburgh and more shopping would open up. How come that isn't happening? Or is it, and I don't know it?
They are turning old vacant office buildings into apartments. This is exactly what the city needs. However the demand still isnt there in downtown to shop. Pittsburgh is mostly still a suburban focused city.

Btw.......

I hear forest city (owner of station square) is going to level the warehouse that had matrix and saddleridge in favor of an apartment bldg.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:04 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
I wish more folks would move to downtown Pittsburgh and more shopping would open up. How come that isn't happening? Or is it, and I don't know it?
//www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...2000-a-77.html

And yes, there is pretty much no doubt that Downtown has more, and a substantially higher quality, of a retail scene than it did in the 80s or 90s.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:10 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
Can't speak for Charlotte but where is this in Columbus? German Village is about the only "old" neighborhood I can even think of, and the rest of the "city" seems like mega-churches, shopping centers and housing developments.
Try Short North, Italian Village, and Victorian Village, as well as the east side.

Columbus Photo Gallery by step2me at pbase.com

Old 01-16-2014, 01:22 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
I still disagree with Columbus and Charlotte. I also disagree with saying that every city has neighborhoods. Not true at all. Charlotte may have 3 original and that goes for Columbus as well. There are numerous mini "main streets" throughout Pittsburgh. Heck, the neighborhoods are such a strong presence that politicians can't even get them to agree or consolidate. How many are there? I think 90. What separates Pittsburgh from other cities is that people self-identify with a neighborhood. They don't want it to change. Which is a good thing.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:28 PM

419 posts, read 551,839 times
Interesting comparing a city that leans far left, progressive, a gay mecca, and expensive to a city that leans left (union), conservative (socially), intolerant of gays, and cheap to live in. The hippies went to San Francisco for the Summer of Love and the white trash mullet wearing hillbillies went to Pittsburgh for a summer Kenny Cheney concert. Wear a flower in your hair on your way to San Francisco and wear a cut off muscle T over your beer belly on your way to Pittsburgh. "San Francisco of the East," "Paris of Appalachia." What's next? "Manhattan of the Golden Triangle?"

Old 01-16-2014, 01:39 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
"San Francisco of the East," "Paris of Appalachia." What's next? "Manhattan of the Golden Triangle?"
Funny you should say that, just at the time you posted it I was wondering why so many Pittsburghers make all these comparisons, anyway. You don't hear people in SF wondering if they're the Pittsburgh of the West or the Los Angeles of Northern California, etc. You know you gave arrived as a city when you don't need to be anything but just Pittsburgh, Beautiful Pittsburgh.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:48 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Funny you should say that, just at the time you posted it I was wondering why so many Pittsburghers make all these comparisons, anyway. You don't hear people in SF wondering if they're the Pittsburgh of the West or the Los Angeles of Northern California, etc. You know you gave arrived as a city when you don't need to be anything but just Pittsburgh, Beautiful Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh is the Pittsburgh of Pennsylvania.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Funny you should say that, just at the time you posted it I was wondering why so many Pittsburghers make all these comparisons, anyway. You don't hear people in SF wondering if they're the Pittsburgh of the West or the Los Angeles of Northern California, etc.
It's cause we want to pretend we are in that same league but in reality we're not. This is not a knock to the city or anything, I'd much rather live in my own city then the "___ of the ___".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh