Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:12 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,360,154 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...34.606,-83.318

Just thought this was a very interesting and fun map to play with. For me it's interesting--but not surprising--that the area shown as different team's areas correspond strongly with what I consider to be the legitimate "home regions" we have discussed in other threads here. I think it corresponds more strongly (at least locally) than an NFL one because some of these teams have been around for almost 150 years now. The Yankees/RedSox mix in the Carolinas just says to me that there aren't has never been a strong major-league presence there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 12:24 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,440 times
Sigh… I think I'm going to have to spring for the MLB package to see the Giants games. At best, I see one game broadcast locally for about every five that are played. I already spend a fortune for TV, but I miss watching my home team.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:34 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,360,154 times
Probably true . . . it's not even like you're in the same division as any of the local teams.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:15 PM

876 posts, read 1,145,127 times
I've seen similar maps before, but not as interactive. The county-by-county and zip code breakdowns are pretty impressive. Good find.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:24 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,159,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...34.606,-83.318

Just thought this was a very interesting and fun map to play with. For me it's interesting--but not surprising--that the area shown as different team's areas correspond strongly with what I consider to be the legitimate "home regions" we have discussed in other threads here. I think it corresponds more strongly (at least locally) than an NFL one because some of these teams have been around for almost 150 years now. The Yankees/RedSox mix in the Carolinas just says to me that there aren't has never been a strong major-league presence there.
There are also a ton of people moving and have moved from NY, NJ, and Massachusetts to the Carolinas.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
There are also a ton of people moving and have moved from NY, NJ, and Massachusetts to the Carolinas.

New York and Boston both also have a disproportionate number of nationally broadcasted games. If NY and Boston games are shown on superstations available on cable that would also help distant fans follow them.

WGN of Chicago is on the COMCAST, and they broadcast Cubs games, I'm sure that's part of the reason for their broader geographic appeal than the WS enjoy.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:39 PM

912 posts, read 1,733,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Sigh… I think I'm going to have to spring for the MLB package to see the Giants games. At best, I see one game broadcast locally for about every five that are played. I already spend a fortune for TV, but I miss watching my home team.
Get MLB.TV. Seriously. I've had it the past two seasons and it's amazing. I don't have cable and it's been a lifesaver. I can watch on TV via my AppleTV, on my laptop, iPad and phone.

I use it mainly to watch Pirates and Indians games, but I love turning on Dodgers game late night and listening to Vin Scully.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:37 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,859,855 times
This map is interesting, but I have to question some of the numbers because as a Pirates fan I often feel like I am in the minority in Erie. There are many Indian's fans in Erie and I did see they were mentioned as the second most popular team according to the map, but it seems like it is the other way around and the Indians are more popular than the Pirates in Erie.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:55 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,803,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
This map is interesting, but I have to question some of the numbers because as a Pirates fan I often feel like I am in the minority in Erie. There are many Indian's fans in Erie and I did see they were mentioned as the second most popular team according to the map, but it seems like it is the other way around and the Indians are more popular than the Pirates in Erie.
I would think that in Erie, Indians fans would skew younger than Pirates fans. This would be due to the fact that the Indians were pretty good during much of the Pirates' 20 year disaster, while conversely, the Pirates were very good for most of the period from 1958-1992, while the Indians were consistently one of baseball's worst teams.

That said, in places like Erie, or Youngstown, there are many people who are fans of both teams. Unlike the football teams, the Bucs and Indians don't even play in the same league, let alone the same division, so there is really no pressure to root for one, and hate the other, although one might be your favorite.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:56 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Probably true . . . it's not even like you're in the same division as any of the local teams.
I know. But for what I pay, you'd think I'd get everything! They really have you hostage when you want to watch a team from another part of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh