Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:54 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,990,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Hilltop hoods were in rough shape, no surprise there.

In fact, I don't know why this stuff surprises anyone anymore.
What surprises me is the fact that we get less than an inch and some of the main roads are not touched. This snow was not a surprise. I was forecast. There is no reason why all of the Parkways in both directions should not be treated when we have a minor snow. There is no reason why they could not have the HOV lanes open with a minor snowfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:59 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Super Bowl-itis? I don't know why, the game was crap, but yeah. Does sound like they were sleeping this AM down here where it got snow.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:23 AM

458 posts, read 656,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
What surprises me is the fact that we get less than an inch and some of the main roads are not touched. This snow was not a surprise. I was forecast. There is no reason why all of the Parkways in both directions should not be treated when we have a minor snow. There is no reason why they could not have the HOV lanes open with a minor snowfall.
Here's what I think is happening:

We've all heard about how all the municipalities have gone through a majority of their salt. So, although it's not right, I think they are going conservative on what they are using. Also, the past two weekends now, we've got snowfall on a Sunday, into Monday. It's the end of the fiscal year, and they probably don't want to spend the money on overtime for people to plow on Sundays. Just a theory on my part.

I'm a seasoned Erie driver. As long as I can see where I'm going, and as long as I can get traction, I can get any automobile through the snow. Last weekend, we had a tax appointment in Westview. I couldn't even pull out on to Penn Ave. We could barely make it around our block to get back home. I was beyond frustrated, but as I watched Twitter, the accidents were adding up by the second.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:29 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
Winter Storm Watch posted for tomorrow night through Wednesday. Let's hope they have some salt left.

National Weather Service Watch Warning Advisory Summary

Old 02-03-2014, 12:28 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
just had a tweet from Bill Peduto https://twitter.com/billpeduto

"Still need a plow? Call 311 between now and 430 PM. We will be sending reports to DPW Divisions... and tracking what streets are missed."

Old 02-03-2014, 12:37 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
just had a tweet from Bill Peduto https://twitter.com/billpeduto

"Still need a plow? Call 311 between now and 430 PM. We will be sending reports to DPW Divisions... and tracking what streets are missed."
It's above freezing and the sun's out, so that will probably do more good than plowing at this point.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:02 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Wednesday should be fun. Perfect day for the unions to extort the taxpayers.

"Allegheny County’s 640 lane-miles of roads will continue to be salted and plowed, even if truck drivers in the county Public Works Department go on strike, county manager William McKain told reporters today. “We are going to respond and take care of public safety no matter what,” he said.
Mr. McKain made his remarks inside the Allegheny County Courthouse this afternoon, as outside about 15 members of the Teamsters Local 249 gathered to call for a contract with pay increases from the county.
Read more: Allegheny County says it is ready if road workers go on strike - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 02-03-2014, 04:39 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Winter Storm Watch posted for tomorrow night through Wednesday. Let's hope they have some salt left.

According to the evening news report they have plenty and plan to treat this like a bigger storm thatn it is forecast to be...

we shall see.

My drive this morning was a bit hairy. With the notable exception of Carnegie where streets were cleared salted and just wet.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:33 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post

It looks like more of an ice storm potential than snow. 6/10 inch of ice? No way. That would be awful.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:58 AM

458 posts, read 656,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
It looks like more of an ice storm potential than snow. 6/10 inch of ice? No way. That would be awful.
I'm also seeing 3-5 inches of snow to go along with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh