Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 PM

598 posts, read 748,153 times

Advertisements

Altoona is not Pittsburgh, but close enough and we have plenty of Sheetz pumps around here employing hundreds of people.

Sheetz - 8 Best Companies Newcomers - FORTUNE

Personally, I wouldn't care a for a free 2 day getaway at Seven Springs for my 5 year employment anniversary as long as the salary is adequate. But the stock ownership program at 1-3% of the salary plus 4% 401k match is very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
free shmuffins and shmagels!!!

Old 01-21-2014, 04:00 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
Those hot dogs give me the Sheetz

Old 01-21-2014, 04:17 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
I'd need to know more details about what makes them a good employer beyond that. What's the percentage of full time vs part time employees? Average pay for non-management?

This list seems a little wonky, considering what they wrote up about the Cheesecake Factory.

Quote:
The full-service restaurant chain prides itself on giving back to local communities. The company partners with Feeding America, the hunger-relief charity, to help support local food banks. Since 2008, the Cheesecake Factory has donated more than two million dollars through their "25 cents a slice" program. On National Cheesecake Day (July 30), for every slice of a featured cheesecake it sells, 25 cents is donated to the charity. Acts of kindness extend to eligible staff, who can request up to three paid days of bereavement leave and receive their full salary during any period of jury duty between one to five workdays every 12 months.
Most of that has nothing to do with being an employer. The best they can say about them is "up to three days" bereavement leave and up to five paid days for jury duty?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Wonder what their electricity bills are? Talk about a TON of lights! Goodness, but that is what America loves I guess. The more waste the better!

Old 01-21-2014, 09:07 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Yeah. How could people possibly want/need gasoline and food, especially if they're traveling or on the road. How crazy.

Sheetz employs lots of people that need jobs.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:40 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Most of that has nothing to do with being an employer. The best they can say about them is "up to three days" bereavement leave and up to five paid days for jury duty?
Welcome to the "new America" where perks that once came standard are now considered luxuries. I don't receive any paid time off, which is why we don't personally vacation, and that's standard throughout our industry. The human resources department of PNC, which is loved and adored by City-Data peeps, actually told me I was "lucky to be offered a lunch break since we don't legally need to give you one" when I complained about often feeling coerced to work through my unpaid half-hour lunches within my ten-hour shifts due to intentional cost-cutting staffing shortages. We're now getting to the point where companies like PNC, which don't think employees need to be offered an unpaid lunch break, are revered as being "ahead of the curve".

Where is this "recovery" everyone has been yammering on about for years now? I'm not seeing it. The vast majority of my peers also aren't seeing it. What we're seeing are the proliferation of jobs that pay less in terms of real wages and have more meager benefits than jobs that existed a generation ago, and we're supposed to be "happy" to have them.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Welcome to the "new America" where perks that once came standard are now considered luxuries. I don't receive any paid time off, which is why we don't personally vacation, and that's standard throughout our industry. The human resources department of PNC, which is loved and adored by City-Data peeps, actually told me I was "lucky to be offered a lunch break since we don't legally need to give you one" when I complained about often feeling coerced to work through my unpaid half-hour lunches within my ten-hour shifts due to intentional cost-cutting staffing shortages. We're now getting to the point where companies like PNC, which don't think employees need to be offered an unpaid lunch break, are revered as being "ahead of the curve".

Where is this "recovery" everyone has been yammering on about for years now? I'm not seeing it. The vast majority of my peers also aren't seeing it. What we're seeing are the proliferation of jobs that pay less in terms of real wages and have more meager benefits than jobs that existed a generation ago, and we're supposed to be "happy" to have them.
Everyone I know is doing great. Heck try and get a flight from here to NYC right now. It is about double the cost from last year. Things are great for those that have careers. Keep in mind, you are doing temp work. Pittsburgh is booming, not to mention the stock market is at record highs. These are great times! If you want bad times, head over to Bagdad or Egypt and report back to us how bad we have it.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

I don't think you can speak for your peers. You chose to be underemployed (considering your education and skills) by working in the service industry (which I don't think has ever offered much in the way of PTO...). Your peers who went the professional route are mostly doing just fine. At least own up to the fact that the choices you made affect your career trajectory.

If we are not in a period of "recovery" then who exactly is buying up all the real estate in the East End and surrounding areas, thereby raising prices and pricing you out? Who is moving downtown into the newly constructed/converted condos and apartments?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:55 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
I don't think you can speak for your peers. You chose to be underemployed (considering your education and skills) by working in the service industry (which I don't think has ever offered much in the way of PTO...). Your peers who went the professional route are mostly doing just fine. At least own up to the fact that the choices you made affect your career trajectory.

If we are not in a period of "recovery" then who exactly is buying up all the real estate in the East End and surrounding areas, thereby raising prices and pricing you out? Who is moving downtown into the newly constructed/converted condos and apartments?

Bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh