Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2014, 09:02 PM

53 posts, read 54,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
With the recent revelation that fracking is causing seismic activity to occur in Ohio, and given the Ohio River Valley's relative proximity to the New Madrid Fault, I've found another reason to dislike fracking. How would you all feel if fracking led to an earthquake that devestated Memphis?

If Shell wants to instead locate their regional HQ in Southpointe, then more power to them as far as I'm concerned, and let Oxford renovate that historically-significant building instead of tearing it down for another skyscraper when there are PLENTY of massive open lots left Downtown to develop.
Sorry but i just dont understand how someone can turn their nose up to an ENTIRE INDUSTRY that can take Pittsburgh to new heights. Sure there are some negative effects from fracking but Memphis is not gonna fall into an abyss tomorrow. The positives far outweight the negative and it aint even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 07:09 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I don't know if it Shell or not, but I do agree that Oxford is seemingly bent on going tall at this site. They have owned that property on 440 Smithfield for quite some time and announced the 350 Smithfield project nearly two years ago be it the renovation or the office tower. Tenants have been gone from the building for a while. Even if no new tenants had been lined up for a prospective renovation, Oxford most likely would marketed as it was being re-done. Oxford has the capital and reputation to do it this way. Oxford's website does promote the renovation and the tower to prospective tenants, but I still think renovation would have been well under way if they decided to surely go that route. They did not throw their hands up and scrap the office tower proposal when US Steel and later maybe Chevron decided on not being the anchor the tenant in the new tower. They more than likely would have renovated(or started) by now on that prime locale. Then again we shall see.
one oxford center is one gigantic downtown killer. i hope they fail to attract a new tenant for a tower. i did like what burns scalo (i think) added to the skyline and best of all, they were to build on a surface lot

Old 04-13-2014, 07:45 AM

706 posts, read 1,048,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
one oxford center is one gigantic downtown killer. i hope they fail to attract a new tenant for a tower. i did like what burns scalo (i think) added to the skyline and best of all, they were to build on a surface lot
Burns and Scalo still has yet to build their proposed "Monongahela Tower on Fort Pitt Boulevard. Their design competition has three designs to choose from to attract a prospective tenant.http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...start=3&ndsp=6http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...start=9&ndsp=6http://www.desmone.com/project/skyli...n-competition/
http://www.desmone.com/wp-content/up...very-small.jpg

Last edited by Gee Whiz; 04-13-2014 at 07:54 AM..

Old 04-13-2014, 11:46 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,137,361 times
The city will have nothing to do with where Shell goes. I don't see them going downtown. Why would they? They likely will have employees going to sites outside of the city, so it seems that they would want to be closer to those sites.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:37 AM

632 posts, read 852,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
The city will have nothing to do with where Shell goes. I don't see them going downtown. Why would they? They likely will have employees going to sites outside of the city, so it seems that they would want to be closer to those sites.
Ask anyone in the staffing biz, and they will tell you Downtown has become a tough sell to potential recruits. Even for low-level clerical temps. You can't park, and each time the Port Authority has a funding crisis the transit gets crappier and crappier. The majority now will say "no thank you" if you call them about a job Downtown. Not when they can park right in front of the building at Parkway Center or Foster Plaza.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:07 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
Ask anyone in the staffing biz, and they will tell you Downtown has become a tough sell to potential recruits. Even for low-level clerical temps. You can't park, and each time the Port Authority has a funding crisis the transit gets crappier and crappier. The majority now will say "no thank you" if you call them about a job Downtown. Not when they can park right in front of the building at Parkway Center or Foster Plaza.
Downtown is shifting. In my industry (marketing and advertising), everyone is moving *towards* downtown because the types of employees that work there want that atmosphere. They want to ride transit to work and bike there. They like the new restaurants and the buzz of it – that's worth it to this crowd. On top of that, the largest clients in the city have their headquarters there. It's an easy walk to meet with anyone.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:16 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Downtown is shifting. In my industry (marketing and advertising), everyone is moving *towards* downtown because the types of employees that work there want that atmosphere. They want to ride transit to work and bike there. They like the new restaurants and the buzz of it – that's worth it to this crowd. On top of that, the largest clients in the city have their headquarters there. It's an easy walk to meet with anyone.
I agree. I worked Downtown for several years. It is an exciting place to be. If you are offered a decent gig, you will be able to afford to live there. A lot of people are doing just that and the demand is massive given the waiting lists for apartments and certain condos. Different strokes for different folks. You cannot simply plug in a notion that was true twenty years ago and assume that today's job searchers and today's Downtown are the same. Granted, it is true that Downtown parking and commuting is a bit of a hassle for suburbanites with cars like it always was. However, if you live on the T, in the East End, or an adjacent neighborhood, you can be Downtown in a snap. Things do indeed change.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Worked in an office park and hated it. The commute was miserable, had to drive to get lunch, and wore out the brakes on my car sitting in traffic. I have been downtown for 7 years now, and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. Twenty min ride on the bus, and endless options for lunch and drinks after work. I also buy gas once a month, and put about 5000 miles on my car each year.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:14 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,953,939 times
The glass on the Tower @ PNC Plaza looks amazing. Its very transparent.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:34 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,971,575 times
I'd love to work downtown; my commute would be a twenty-five minute walk mostly through parks. Unfortunately, most of the tech companies seem to be either on the southside or east end so I have to commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh