Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:33 AM

733 posts, read 987,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Personally I'd love to have a movie theater at 6th. Since the Garden (sadly) isn't going to be a theater again, it would be the closest thing to having a movie theater on the North Side.
100% agree. Fingers crossed that this happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 11:38 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
I can't answer that, but I'm assuming this new place would be similar to the Manor in that it would show a curated selection of first-run films. The Harris is run by Filmmakers and as such is pretty much confined to local/independent/arthouse/documentary kind of stuff, so I wouldn't say the general "movie-goer" Downtown is even being catered to at the moment.
But I wonder if it will fall into the same trap as shopping downtown has. People aren't going to make a special trip into the Cultural District to see a movie they can see closer to home and have to worry about parking, etc. Even city dwellers may choose to hit up a suburban multiplex rather than go downtown. I want to believe, but I worry.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 01-29-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But I wonder if it will fall into the same trap as shopping downtown has. People aren't going to make a special trip into the Cultural District to see a movie they can see closer to home and have to worry about parking, etc. Even city dwellers may choose to hit up a suburban multiplex rather than go downtown.
I think you underestimate how many people stay downtown after work these days, or come downtown specifically for certain restaurants. The past two years I have found myself down here quite a bit for Il Pizzaiolo, Nicky's Thai, etc. Destination restaurants. Put a movie theater down here and these things start to snowball together into longer stays.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times
Quote:
But I wonder if it will fall into the same trap as shopping downtown has. People aren't going to make a special trip into the Cultural District to see a movie they can see closer to home and have to worry about parking, etc. Even city dwellers may choose to hit up a suburban multiplex rather than go downtown.
Those concerns seem exactly the same as those someone would have about the Southside Works theater, and that is (presumably) succeeding. Plus Downtown has massively better public transit access, a reliable base of ~150k workers, and would be closer than anything else to people in the Northside and "near" East End (Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, etc.).

Old 01-29-2014, 11:48 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Those concerns seem exactly the same as those someone would have about the Southside Works theater, and that is (presumably) succeeding. Plus Downtown has massively better public transit access, a reliable base of ~150k workers, and would be closer than anything else to people in the Northside and "near" East End (Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, etc.).
As a guy living in friendship, I'd jump on the east busway to downtown any day over driving to the SouthSide Works for a movie.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:52 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
We live in Polish Hill and would much prefer to head Downtown for dinner/movie than to the Waterfront.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:18 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
People aren't going to make a special trip into the Cultural District... to see a movie they can see closer to home and have to worry about parking, etc. Even city dwellers may choose to hit up a suburban multiplex rather than go downtown.
oooh...i totally disagree.

there are many college students living in downtown and at cricklewood hill apartments.

i think its understood that the population of downtown is at an all-time high post-1930s.

the nearby attractions make the area seem inviting - there is a dynamism that attracts people - sounds, smells, noise, other people...some people enjoy that.

im no expert, but somehow a place selling exclusively popcorn has somehow survived...a movie theater with no niche approach (a la the Harris, which is great, dont get me wrong) just sounds overdue, and elementary.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:41 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Someone told me that the old Bally's was a former movie theater. If your familiar with the interior setup, it sure looks like it. My wife and I are attending a birthday party @ Perle in Market Square this weekend. A movie before or after would have been perfect. DCs china town theater is great. I would love something similar.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:54 PM

273 posts, read 348,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I'm pretty sure that they're demolishing the auditorium area of the building to free up space for parking.
Oh no! And for parking!?!?!

I wish Pittsburgh would move away from being such a car-centric place.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:59 PM

273 posts, read 348,581 times
Quote:
But I wonder if it will fall into the same trap as shopping downtown has. People aren't going to make a special trip into the Cultural District to see a movie they can see closer to home and have to worry about parking, etc. Even city dwellers may choose to hit up a suburban multiplex rather than go downtown. I want to believe, but I worry.
I don't think it's wise to build a theater somewhere and hope they will come. Rather, in DC, they are building theaters in areas where density has reached a critical mass and is growing. The trick seems to be to make an area desirable and then add more and more amenities to keep increasing its desirability, drawing in more people.

I don't understand why Liberty Ave (and I was there last week) still seems so dead. Why aren't people living in those buildings? And why do so many of those buildings just seem empty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh