Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:04 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Detroit seems to be surging past pittsburgh
Only if you mean in terms of abandonment, crime, and financial problems:

Detroit on the edge - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 08:48 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Only if you mean in terms of abandonment, crime, and financial problems:

Detroit on the edge - YouTube
Those terms fit pittsburgh as well.... The mcdonalds in east liberty was selling heroin through its drive through to Pittsburgh Police.

I guess you chose not to read the articles? So when was the last time Pittsburgh grew by 11,000 jobs in it's downtown over 18 months?

Old 01-30-2014, 05:13 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
So is this still a Pittsburgh topic ? Or is it about Detroit ?

Old 01-30-2014, 05:24 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
When was the last time Pittsburgh added 11,000 employees to their downtown in 18 months?

"added", or "re-gained what was lost"? if you have nothing to start with, hiring ONE employee is a 100% gain. i dont think Detroit is in a renaissance, exactly, although im not one to pour salt water on the optimism the city has been seeing.

back in the 1990s, Pittsburgh was stellar in "job creation", when really, it (like the rest of the US) was just restarting a stalled economic engine that rebooted to get back to its previous point of activity.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:27 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Doesn't Detroit have $500 houses?

Which would naturally make it more affordable than Pittsburgh.

There are several houses for sale for $1 in Detroit on realtor.com . I think there were a lot more last summer but maybe they've been delisted in order to relist in the spring and try for $1.50.

Just more evidence to back up zman's "detroit is surging past pittsburgh" claim.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:28 AM

654 posts, read 944,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
A fact that can be lost on many Pittsburghers themselves..
I don't know if Pittsburgh is the most affordable city, but it's definitely amongst the most affordable. However, this may change in the course of the next few years to the next decade, because Pittsburgh is becoming very popular with people who live in other cities and regions of the country. Fewer neighborhoods will remain affordable, but some will probably always be so (e.g., Marshall-Shadeland, Elliott).

Of course, all of this depends on someone's definition of affordability, which is highly subjective.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:10 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfUm View Post
I don't know if Pittsburgh is the most affordable city, but it's definitely amongst the most affordable. However, this may change in the course of the next few years to the next decade, because Pittsburgh is becoming very popular with people who live in other cities and regions of the country. Fewer neighborhoods will remain affordable, but some will probably always be so (e.g., Marshall-Shadeland, Elliott).
Even this isn't really a given. For the short term I agree, but these are places where sub-$50K homes are common. If say there are 20 years of sustained growth in Pittsburgh (and yes, that's a big "if") I could hypothetically see $150K being the minimum needed for a livable home anywhere in Pittsburgh. Maybe more depending on inflation.

Quote:
Of course, all of this depends on someone's definition of affordability, which is highly subjective.
Very true. $150K is probably considered affordable to most people today, let alone in the future.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:53 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,510 times
Quote:
Those terms fit pittsburgh as well.... The mcdonalds in east liberty was selling heroin through its drive through to Pittsburgh Police.

I guess you chose not to read the articles? So when was the last time Pittsburgh grew by 11,000 jobs in it's downtown over 18 months?
As was the one in Murrysville, which is essentially Cranberry, Jr. But I suppose that stuff never happens in amazing cities like Columbus, Raleigh, Charlotte, and hell, now add Detroit to your list!

Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 AM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
"added", or "re-gained what was lost"? if you have nothing to start with, hiring ONE employee is a 100% gain. i dont think Detroit is in a renaissance, exactly, although im not one to pour salt water on the optimism the city has been seeing.
Not to nitpick, but since you're dividing by zero, the percent increase would actually be "infinite."

Old 01-30-2014, 11:09 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Not to nitpick, but since you're dividing by zero, the percent increase would actually be "infinite."
Even nitpickier, division by zero is not actually infinitude but is "undefined" for the set of real numbers. It is true that the division of a / b approaches infinity as b approaches zero, but the actual value of a / 0 is undefined and has no meaning. Some details on this wikipedia page.

(I've probably taken about 30 credit-hours of college level math but don't actually remember all that much by this time)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh