Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 09:19 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Seems that I stumbled into the Georgia forum.
It's on my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 09:26 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,776,309 times
This happens in Pittsburgh too, just to a much lesser degree. I remember a similar incident early last December, I think, where a winter storm started in the late morning and progressively got worse in the afternoon. So the employers sent everyone home early, causing big traffic jams and also prevented salt trucks from getting through resulting in 2 or 3 hour commutes for some people. I stayed at work until 6pm that day and all the roads were clear by then and I was home in 15 minutes.

I think this was the storm -- Drivers slosh through mess left by sleet and rain - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

I don't know why everyone feels the need to panic and leave early and hit the roads at the same time. Just wait it out and let the road crews do their jobs. Of course in Atlanta, they probably didn't have enough salt trucks anyway, so who knows if staggered departure times would have helped in that mess

Old 01-30-2014, 09:30 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lirefugee View Post
it's on my mind.
a++!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:50 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
To be fair, it'd be like throwing a novice boxer into the ring with a pro. When the novice gets his/her ass kicked, you can't wonder why, because the novice is clearly less experienced. I don't think Atlanta drivers are really at fault--they deal with this once a year if they're lucky. You can't expect them to act like it's "just another day" when in reality, down there, it's far from it.

I do not agree, however, that they didn't have enough warning, etc. Shame on them for not heeding the National Weather Service's early warnings. They should know they can't handle winter conditions like a northern city, so, at the threat of winter weather, be safe versus sorry. This time, Atlanta was clearly sorry.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:52 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
i get to hear from dc friends of how much snow they got.. i just silently laugh and said "i think we've been having snow every other day since mid November now. plus its been colder here than down there"then again... everything shutdown when it dropped to -10 for them (factoring in windchill)

Old 01-30-2014, 11:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
i get to hear from dc friends of how much snow they got.. i just silently laugh and said "i think we've been having snow every other day since mid November now. plus its been colder here than down there"then again... everything shutdown when it dropped to -10 for them (factoring in windchill)
LOL! OK, I'll bring it back to Pittsburgh. My brother (Moon Twp) was telling me about some day with a record low of -9 (or something like that). I had to laugh. We get days like that almost every winter, and they're not record lows, either. I thought, what a wuss!

Old 01-30-2014, 12:37 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,254 times
Who plows the streets of Pennsbury Village?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:00 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
There are various political, economic, regional, cultural and transportation reasons this happened and most likely will always happen in Atlanta. To simplify for people in the Burgh, here is something to read which will put it in "yinzer terms" (Copied and pasted from the ATL forum, post by red92s who gets the credit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Just some quick back of the napkin numbers for those lambasting GDOT for not having the highways in good shape.

285 is roughly a 60 mile loop, 6 lanes wide each direction. So we are talking something like 700 lane-miles that need to be maintained on 285 alone. A spreader truck can cover roughly 2 lane-miles before needing to reload. So you need something like 350 spreader truck loads to treat every lane on 285 one time. Even if there were 100 spreader trucks at GDOT's disposal (which there were not, by a long shot), you'd need every single one of them dedicated to 285 for most of the day just to keep that one highway passable.

Now throw 75, 85, 400, 20, 675, and 575 into the mix.

Philadelphia had over 350 pieces of snow removal equipment working during their last large storm, including over 100 that were private contractors. Their mayor caught heat for roads not being cleared fast enough.

Doubling, tripling, or quadrupling the amount of equipment out there wouldn't have solved anything. These trucks and equipment run about $100k each, so going from 100 to 200 isn't a trivial budget item. Pre-treating roads only does so much good. You have to be out there with the equipment as snow is accumulating to maximize it's effectiveness . . . which is damn near impossible when the entire hits the roads in a 90 minute stretch.

I totally sympathize and understand the need to vent after what some people went through. I'd want to scream and yell at anyone who would listen also. The need to blame someone is a bit out of control. News stations were already blame-baiting people yesterday AM at the news conferences. The gift of hindsight is a powerful thing. But, when you step back and look at the size and scale of the roads that need attention, the speed with which traffic deteriorated (making any equipment you've got useless), and the sheer volume of people on the roads at once, hopefully it's obvious that no amount of capital investment is going to prevent a occurrence.

Want an easy step to mitigate the next one? Make it a policy that when the NWS issues a winter storm adivsory, schools are cancelled. Not a recommendation, not a guideline, a policy. Take the guesswork out, which is what really hurt us this time around.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:29 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Not just snow removal. Road maintenance. Even if they rented the trucks and such from the city. The labor costs would be so much less and figure you could do the job with about 1/2 the crew, due to the massive waste factor. There can be collaborations. Just look at Rt. 28 construction. That is a massive job, but that crew actually works for a living.

Governments are just one big siphon of tax dollars. They are all the same from top to bottom. Aren't people tired of living like crap and paying tons in taxes? When does it end?
Nobody in their right mind is gonna bid on snow removal for 1 or 2 storms every couple years just like nobody is gonna rent out their equipment to people for that or other maintenance. You have plows to hook up, salt spreaders to install, loaders to put the salt in the trucks, etc..., and you think the city/government is just gonna let people use 100's of thousands of dollars worth of equipment. Not only is the risk huge but whose to say the people are gonna show up to actually do the job. You obviously have no idea of how much time and work is involved in getting the equipment ready and set up for the possibilty of a storm every year or 2. Again, no concept of reality.

Unfortunately, taxes are inevitable. Crying about them won't change them. Death and taxes are inevitable.

Last edited by erieguy; 01-30-2014 at 01:54 PM..

Old 01-30-2014, 01:54 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Who plows the streets of Pennsbury Village?
The Boro of Pennsbury Village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh