Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 04:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummsantos View Post
Thank you again. It is Baker Hughes :-) It isn't 100% but very close to it.
Good luck to your husband. Let us know when you're ready. We'll be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 04:44 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Thank you for that important correction! I know/knew that!
I wasn't going to point it out, but you said it twice, so I wasn't sure you knew.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I wasn't going to point it out, but you said it twice, so I wasn't sure you knew.
Maybe I'm getting to the age where I think one thing and another thing comes out.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad you corrected me for the OP's sake.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:30 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummsantos View Post
Thanks Guys! I moved from San Jose to Houston and now off to Pittsburgh. My husband said that he will working on a rig so MT. Pleasant isn't where his office will be. I guess I am open to any area now. Thoughts on Cranberry area? South Fayette? Any neighborhood with newer homes? Some of these homes look really old :-(
This map show where Baker Hughes is drilling. Baker Hughes - Investor Relations

As you can see, there is a high probabality he will be working in West Virginia or Eastern Ohio. Easy access to both I-79 and I-70 will help his commute regardless of where he is working. I would look at living in the Peters Township, South Fayette or Canon-McMillan school districts.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

As you can see, there is a high probabality he will be working in West Virginia or Eastern Ohio. Easy access to both I-79 and I-70 will help his commute regardless of where he is working. I would look at living in the Peters Township, South Fayette or Canon-McMillan school districts.
Excellent sleuthing! Great school district suggestions too. If she can't find a home she likes that she can afford there, she can look at Bethel Park, Franklin Park, Cranberry, and Robinson (perhaps).

Old 01-31-2014, 09:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,643,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

I thought about this last night at one point (I lost a reply I was typing last night) and was thinking that south areas would probably be closer to wherever the rigs would most likely be anyway. But you've provided much better detail that confirms it.

Since someone had mentioned Cranberry I was going to post what I knew of a proposed mosque building up that way because I drive by the site so often. A few years ago when they started excavating I was curious and looked up planning info on the Marshall Township web site. This is the entity that owns the property: Welcome to Islamic Center of North Pittsburgh What I can't tell, because the web site seems out of date, is if they are merely in a holding pattern waiting for more funds or if the project has more or less been shelved.

And then I was going to suggest looking south anyway because it's probably closer to wherever they are drilling.

I found this list which may be of use: Greater Pittsburgh Masjids, Mosques, and Islamic Centers - Salatomatic The one in Carnegie I think is the only one that's south/west of the city, this place: Home Most of the places in the area including that one are Sunni according to that list. Can't vouch for its accuracy.

The bigger problem is probably finding a rental house. They tend to be few and far between, although if you can manage with only 3 bedrooms and can deal with it being older you'll have a few more choices. Because there are not a lot of available houses to rent, the ones that are available will have pretty high rental rates. You could find yourself looking at properties that are going to rent for $2000/month especially if you are trying to stick to newer ones. If you can fit into a townhouse for a while that might give you a few extra choices. The location pointers to such places as South Fayette, Peters, Canonsburg seem on target to me, just don't know what is out there for rental inventory right now. Keep digging and you will find something that fits though I think.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:32 AM

I'm mentioning Cranberry because it has more "newer" construction townhouses than anywhere else. She'll have the best chance of finding something she can tolerate in her price range there. Since it's close to all of the major interstates, I think it would be convenient for her husband. Not as convenient as the areas south of Carnegie though.

Does Robinson have a lot of newer townhouses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh