Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:53 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Crazy Mocha has a really modest presence in the suburbs, they aren't in any of the major malls, they aren't near everything but they do have a fair number of locales in the city proper.
Then Niko's or Starbucks. Same difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 09:53 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Yeah, restaurant (and maybe a couple other tipped positions) have a much lower minimum hourly wage that's still under $3/hour. But there's tips. At Eat n Park, the prices are pretty low so the tips aren't much. But you have to start somewhere I guess. Better probably if you can get on at a casual restaurant that's a bit higher priced. More tips. Not sure which ones hire with no experience. Maybe lots of them.

Starbucks, Sheetz, any of that could work. Anything and everything is going to include some nights/weekends/etc.

One non-food, not-quite-retail entry job that works for some people (including, for about 6 months many years ago, me) is inventory taking. RGIS is the big name and the one I worked for. This is usually the right time of year for some hiring, maybe a little late even, although they go through people so they're pretty much hiring all the time I would think. Doesn't require experience but when I did it you got a couple months then had to pass a test for both speed and accuracy. If you failed that was it. If you passed, you got a raise and could stay. Some people wash out then, and I don't think too many make it a long-term career, LOL. Who knows if all that is even still the same but I'm not sure why not. But it always paid a decent amount over minimum. I'd bet around here these days they could be paying in the vicinity of $9-10/hour.

The schedules were all over the place. Many specialty stores are done when the store is closed, either nights, Sunday mornings, things like that. Larger stores are kept open but still typically done in evening or so it used to be. Convenience stores like Sheetz are done during the day and often like every couple months. Training is as you go really. At the time I had no other job so I got scheduled for more stuff. It was also in a smaller area though.

You have to learn how to use a machine hanging from your belt mostly without looking. To this day I can operate a 10-key calculator quickly without much looking.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:08 AM

310 posts, read 371,581 times
thanks everyone for your input! You wouldn't think someone would have difficult time finding a job in robinson but she wants a server job so she can finally have experience. We are familiar that server wage is under min wage at $2-$3, but you leave with money in your pocket each day. Of course, any job will do.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:10 AM

310 posts, read 371,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yeah, restaurant (and maybe a couple other tipped positions) have a much lower minimum hourly wage that's still under $3/hour. But there's tips. At Eat n Park, the prices are pretty low so the tips aren't much. But you have to start somewhere I guess. Better probably if you can get on at a casual restaurant that's a bit higher priced. More tips. Not sure which ones hire with no experience. Maybe lots of them.

Starbucks, Sheetz, any of that could work. Anything and everything is going to include some nights/weekends/etc.

One non-food, not-quite-retail entry job that works for some people (including, for about 6 months many years ago, me) is inventory taking. RGIS is the big name and the one I worked for. This is usually the right time of year for some hiring, maybe a little late even, although they go through people so they're pretty much hiring all the time I would think. Doesn't require experience but when I did it you got a couple months then had to pass a test for both speed and accuracy. If you failed that was it. If you passed, you got a raise and could stay. Some people wash out then, and I don't think too many make it a long-term career, LOL. Who knows if all that is even still the same but I'm not sure why not. But it always paid a decent amount over minimum. I'd bet around here these days they could be paying in the vicinity of $9-10/hour.

The schedules were all over the place. Many specialty stores are done when the store is closed, either nights, Sunday mornings, things like that. Larger stores are kept open but still typically done in evening or so it used to be. Convenience stores like Sheetz are done during the day and often like every couple months. Training is as you go really. At the time I had no other job so I got scheduled for more stuff. It was also in a smaller area though.

You have to learn how to use a machine hanging from your belt mostly without looking. To this day I can operate a 10-key calculator quickly without much looking.
thanks!!! I'll have her look into RGIS!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Dishwashers are paid over minimum, usually starting at $10/hour without experience (because nobody wants to be a dishwasher) and some places have policies that tips get split with dishwashers. My son made way too much money washing dishes as a high school student. LOL

Old 01-31-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crae09 View Post
thanks!!! I'll have her look into RGIS!
Check it, but try not to get your hopes up too much beforehand. I mean, I'm talking over 20 years ago so anything could have changed. But the basic premise I don't really think has. Even though there is probably a lot more automation in retail now vs then, they still do these types of counts from outside services as a guard against internal shrink, etc. What I don't know is if they'll be hiring at this moment or if they do a larger group intake every couple months or what. Also there was I think a small training on the machine before going out on a count, not sure. Left that out earlier. But there certainly wasn't anything large with a strict schedule.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Dishwashers are paid over minimum, usually starting at $10/hour without experience (because nobody wants to be a dishwasher) and some places have policies that tips get split with dishwashers. My son made way too much money washing dishes as a high school student. LOL
That's true. Nobody wants to wash dishes. That's a big high-pressure thing on a busy Saturday night too which is another reason why it pays like that.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:19 AM

When I was in college, I made good money (hourly rate plus commission) working for the symphony selling season tickets over the phone. There wasn't a two week training period. It might not be the right time of year for that right now, but it's something to consider in the future.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:24 AM

338 posts, read 446,983 times
Your littlse sister doesnt happen to sell heroine does she?

Old 01-31-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
Your littlse sister doesnt happen to sell heroine does she?
Why? Are you interested in buying a women of notable courage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh