Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 01:44 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times

Advertisements

7 passenger planes? I bet those are some expensive flights. One-Jet's website says you can book through Expedia, but I don't see any results when I search for the existing routes they have from PIT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 02:21 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
I looked up their round trip from PIT to IND. it's about $800.

I actually need to be in Hartford the morning of May 9 for work. I am trying to get on the first flight.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:36 PM

369 posts, read 462,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr56 View Post

I don't think anyone will debate that PIT was rebuilt because of USAir, and not just rebuilt, but literally built at USAir's demands and at an exorbitant cost.
Planning for the midfield terminal goes back as far as the 1960's and was pushed by Tom Foerster and Allegheny County for decades. USAir resisted the new terminal that entire time because it would have substantially driven up their operating costs at PIT. In fact, TWA pushed for a new terminal much more than USAir did at the time. It was not until 1985 USAir signed on to the new terminal after many years of reluctance. The reason they finally did so was because the old terminal was falling apart and no longer viable as major airport terminal.

Even if USAir did not exist, PIT would have needed a new terminal. One not as large, but still a large new one. Perhaps 50 gates instead of 75. But the cost to build would not have been much lower than what was paid because all the same site prep, utilities, parking, expressway, etc etc would still have to have been built. This is exactly what IND (a non hub airport) had to do, and they also spent approx $1 billion.

I agree the way US Airways abandoned their leases at literally the last minute of bankruptcy (technically they gave the County 7 more months to agree to new terms) was not done in good faith. Having said that, the endless US Airways bashing and the notion they somehow screwed Pittsburgh is baseless and really gets old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Hopefully it's not another Florida destination, I think we have enough of those as it is.
I expect VPS (Destin/Ft. Walton Beach) to be announced within the year. Allegiant is setting up shop there as a destination location. Pensacola and Panama are nearby. PIT actually never had service anywhere at all to the Florida Panhandle, even in the hub days.

Miami might be able to support one more flight as well. Right now there are only two daily 70 seaters operated by American, not including service to FLL.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:54 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Its time for someone to buy the Allegheny trademark, lease a few planes, small ones and restore the glory that was once ALLEGHENY AIRLINRS before someone got the stupid idea to call it USAir with flights serving the Iron Triangle (Ptt-Clev-Buf) , and the Appalachians and Pennsylvania. Add connecting flights to Philadelphia, Dulles, NY JFK Detroit, Atlanta,Miami and Chicago and one has a airline for Pittsburgh and Western PA.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:57 PM

404 posts, read 456,755 times
I know you guys are bummed about Pittsburgh losing its hub, at least you do have a decent (even if overbuilt) airport. Have any of you flown out of MCI (Kansas City)? Now that's a dumpy airport.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:32 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Its time for someone to buy the Allegheny trademark, lease a few planes, small ones and restore the glory that was once ALLEGHENY AIRLINRS before someone got the stupid idea to call it USAir with flights serving the Iron Triangle (Ptt-Clev-Buf) , and the Appalachians and Pennsylvania. Add connecting flights to Philadelphia, Dulles, NY JFK Detroit, Atlanta,Miami and Chicago and one has a airline for Pittsburgh and Western PA.
Also, LaGuardia. What I wouldn't give for frequent, cheap, nonstop flights to LaGuardia.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:47 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,696,843 times
The airport has been on a roll lately, and I have a feeling it's just getting started as Pittsburgh keeps adding tech. OneJet is an airline model to watch, globally. It'll be interesting to see how these types of airlines dent the legacies' corporate business (or don't).

Old 02-11-2016, 10:01 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
Also, LaGuardia. What I wouldn't give for frequent, cheap, nonstop flights to LaGuardia.
Agreed!!!!! Right now you can't get to NYC under $350 nonstop!

Old 02-11-2016, 10:19 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Agreed!!!!! Right now you can't get to NYC under $350 nonstop!
Beats driving 6+ hours. I'll take the flight and a taxi to the hotel everyday over losing 12+ hours driving round trip.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:31 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Beats driving 6+ hours. I'll take the flight and a taxi to the hotel everyday over losing 12+ hours driving round trip.
NYC is about 350 miles, you can take an UBER car there for 90 cents a mile at the current rate, and go door to door, save money on the cab trip from the airport.

Could be quicker than a flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh