Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2017, 01:37 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by punctus_contra_punctum View Post
Yet another flight. Elite Airways will start twice a week, year-round service to Sarasota/Bradenton, FL. Elite had been primarily a sports charter airline, but they are now expanding to scheduled flights. (I assume the sports connection is part of what is driving this flight to the Pirates spring training location.) No ticket/change/baggage fees, so they seem to be a step up from your generic ultra-low cost carrier.
Things are really looking up! This is amazing news, thanks for posting it. Now we can all go down as a group from City Data including Yac and see the Pirates spring training! Love that area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 06:31 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,008,136 times
Quote:
Yet another flight. Elite Airways will start twice a week, year-round service to Sarasota/Bradenton, FL. Elite had been primarily a sports charter airline, but they are now expanding to scheduled flights. (I assume the sports connection is part of what is driving this flight to the Pirates spring training location.) No ticket/change/baggage fees, so they seem to be a step up from your generic ultra-low cost carrier.
Excellent news.

Not sure the reason for the destination, but there are more direct flights to Florida cities with Spirit and Allegiant also in the mix. I hope more destinations get into the mix as I’m looking to be a snowbird within the next 3 years and it will nice to easily fly back and forth every so often through the winter.

As to Spring Training, it doesn’t last but a few months and Pirates tickets are way down and viewership is down almost 30% in the last 2 years. The Pirates are barely significant right now.

Last edited by erieguy; 12-02-2017 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-02-2017, 11:58 PM

716 posts, read 759,930 times
Judging by the amount of direct flights to several Florida cities we have I feel like I must be the only one who lives here who is underwhelmed when visiting that state. I just don't get it.

I do love California though. I realize with LA being a 5 hour flight it does require a larger time investment but I was checking out flights this winter (Jan/Feb) and they are only around $90 each way direct to LAX on Spirit. Insanely cheap for the distance! Fying in to LA gives you access to a lot of cool places along the coast besides just LA from San Diego to Orange County to Malibu to Santa Barbara. Longer flight, yes, but not necessiarily even more expensive at all yet way better destination than FL IMO.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:05 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,900,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl-Cns View Post
Judging by the amount of direct flights to several Florida cities we have I feel like I must be the only one who lives here who is underwhelmed when visiting that state. I just don't get it.

I do love California though. I realize with LA being a 5 hour flight it does require a larger time investment but I was checking out flights this winter (Jan/Feb) and they are only around $90 each way direct to LAX on Spirit. Insanely cheap for the distance! Fying in to LA gives you access to a lot of cool places along the coast besides just LA from San Diego to Orange County to Malibu to Santa Barbara. Longer flight, yes, but not necessiarily even more expensive at all yet way better destination than FL IMO.
That $90 each way will be about $320 when it’s all said and done. Spirit is a horrible airline that nickle-and-dimes you for everything, including carry-on bags. Spirit also, by their own admission, has less legroom than other airlines. I can’t imagine anyone taller than 6 feet sitting in a regular seat on spirit for five hours, needing an average man would probably need to pay for extra legroom. Spirit airlines can be a good deal, but it really depends on what the other airlines are charging. If Spirit is with in $150 of a more traditional airline, it’s going to end up being more expensive, in reality, and it will be a worse experience. I was flown spirit once, and that is because the next cheapest direct flight was nearly $300 more, AFTER paying for Spirit’s bag fees and extra legroom.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:20 AM

716 posts, read 759,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
That $90 each way will be about $320 when it’s all said and done. Spirit is a horrible airline that nickle-and-dimes you for everything, including carry-on bags. Spirit also, by their own admission, has less legroom than other airlines. I can’t imagine anyone taller than 6 feet sitting in a regular seat on spirit for five hours, needing an average man would probably need to pay for extra legroom. Spirit airlines can be a good deal, but it really depends on what the other airlines are charging. If Spirit is with in $150 of a more traditional airline, it’s going to end up being more expensive, in reality, and it will be a worse experience. I was flown spirit once, and that is because the next cheapest direct flight was nearly $300 more, AFTER paying for Spirit’s bag fees and extra legroom.
Thanks for the review. I had never flown spirit before. Just checked out southwest as a point of comparison (it's our only othwr direct option to LAX) and it's in the 300 range round trip for the same time period and includes all baggage.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:07 PM

54 posts, read 50,426 times
I fly to the greater LA area weekly. If you're flexible, look at legacy carrier flights into SNA (Orange County). Can be had at very reasonable prices and SNA is a great airport for access ro Anaheim, South LA, San Diego, etc. LAX suuuuucks.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:55 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,101,134 times
Quote:

I don't get it either, there are so many places I would visit before Florida.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:56 PM

271 posts, read 329,845 times
Quote:
Thanks for the review. I had never flown spirit before. Just checked out southwest as a point of comparison (it's our only othwr direct option to LAX) and it's in the 300 range round trip for the same time period and includes all baggage.
Southwest also has no change fees, if you need to modify your flights at any point. You only pay the fare difference, or you receive a credit if the new flight costs less. They are my favorite budget airline.

Old 12-13-2017, 11:00 PM

93 posts, read 90,763 times
Yet more flights added. OneJet is adding flights to Memphis and Kansas City (both two flights a day) and Palm Beach, Fl (once daily). Memphis and Kansas City are 'new' routes; Southwest has a seasonal flight to Palm Beach. It's beginning to seem like we cannot go a week without getting a new flight.

Memphis, Kansas City to get OneJet flights from Pittsburgh | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 12-13-2017, 11:16 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Yet more flights added. OneJet is adding flights to Memphis and Kansas City (both two flights a day) and Palm Beach, Fl (once daily). Memphis and Kansas City are 'new' routes; Southwest has a seasonal flight to Palm Beach. It's beginning to seem like we cannot go a week without getting a new flight.

Memphis, Kansas City to get OneJet flights from Pittsburgh | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Great news! I always wanted to go to KC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh