Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Another hilarious Ravenstahl story from a couple days ago... in light of Peduto's executive action banning politicians' names on public assets... came this story about "Ravenstahl Field"...
That one cracked me up when I saw it back then. Love how they paid twice as much to rush the sign order! Make sure we order the sign, that way they can't change it! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 07:26 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
That one cracked me up when I saw it back then. Love how they paid twice as much to rush the sign order! Make sure we order the sign, that way they can't change it! LOL
Other ex-mayors and ex-politicians have facilities named after them. I can certainly understand where some people would want their own "fair share" of glory and recognition.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Other ex-mayors and ex-politicians have facilities named after them. I can certainly understand where some people would want their own "fair share" of glory and recognition.
Heh, well sure. But I don't think many of those places, such as David Lawrence Convention Center, were named by those mayors or members of their administration without input. Maybe a couple of obscure things like this field were in fact done that way though. But from that piece I get the feeling that Duane Ashley was trying to surprise his boss with the naming, all on his own, and sneak it through before the administration changed. I don't know.

What is named for Tom Murphy? That dude was mayor for 12 years, still more than half the time I've lived in this area. Must be something named for him. Bob O'Connor was only mayor for a few months, but stuff is named for him because he's dead and others did it after in his honor. If you're alive, the typical way you get your name on something is to donate a chunk of money to help it get done, or to do something really above and beyond. Doesn't really sound like the case here.

Honestly, I don't really have an objection to calling it Ravenstahl Field if as Ashley says he did a lot to make sure it got built, etc. But I object that Ashley should single-handedly or with the mayor determine that name at the end of his employment/term in office without more input.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:38 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
What is named for Tom Murphy? .
Trash cans.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Trash cans.
Trash cans are named for all of them, but not anymore supposedly.

Funny I don't remember the Murphy trash cans. I saw some of the Sophie ones though, hehe.

I'm thinking Murphy is just not that memorable in most ways, despite the long tenure? Seems to be the case. He just really faded into the background seems like.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:02 AM

Murphy is extremely memorable... both positive and negative. And he's maintained a high profile with his ULI gig.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Murphy is extremely memorable... both positive and negative. And he's maintained a high profile with his ULI gig.
Must depend upon how one defines high profile. I try to stay on top of local news to a reasonable degree. I don't hear much of Tom Murphy. He got his name out there in being in opposition to Buncher's Strip District project, that was the most recent thing. Can't think of what before that. Of course, I may well forget more real news than most people actually read. The ULI perhaps arguably should be more high profile to me, but in general news it really doesn't seem to be. I had to look up what it was.

Now this thread will come up in searches though presumably.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:21 PM

Ravenstahl in the news again...

Peduto gives FBI information about missing items from mayor's office

Old 03-19-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
I'm not complainig about people calling him names, I'm complaining about people obsessing over what he was doing, even though he is no longer our mayor.
More trouble for Mayor Luke...

Former Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl took his computer home, returned it later - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 03-19-2014, 07:55 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
In case you didn't think Luke was dumb before..,

Quote:
the former mayor took the computer because he was concerned the Peduto administration would move in, hide it and then concoct a story about it going missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh