Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:48 PM

28 posts, read 81,005 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to the Pittsburgh area...
We have been going through the admissions process for high school here in Denver and are just waiting for responses for acceptance. Now, we may have to start the process all over again.

We had selected a Catholic High School here in Denver, for my daughter to start in the fall for her freshman year, which offers a "Learning Strategies Program" which is for highly motivated students who have been diagnosed with a learning disability or ADD. There is an extra fee for this program in addition to tuition.

Do any of the Catholic High Schools in the Pittsburgh offer any similar programs? I have looked on line and am not seeing anything for Vincentia, North Catholic, Seton La Salle, Bishop Canevin or St. Joseph's. Are there other Catholic schools not listed here that might have a program like this? Or are we going to have no choice but to send our child to public---we'd rather not....

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I posted in your other thread that Catholic schools don't implement IEPs. The best you can get is 504 accommodations. You're better off coming here with a 504. Otherwise, you'll have to go through the local school district for an evaluation to get a 504, and that will slow down your daughter hoping to have accommodations at a Catholic school. The local school districts send limited special education services to the private schools, usually limited to a visiting speech and occupational therapists.

Even though you hope to send your children to Catholic school, choose your residence in a good public school district for special education. North Allegheny School District has an excellent special education program. It's located next to Cranberry. You can't live in Cranberry though. You'll have to buy in a township that is served by North Allegheny School District.

Another option is to send your daughter to one of the elite private non-religious schools. Intelligent children with ADD usually thrive in their smaller classrooms and exceptional college prep curriculums. They're much more expensive compared to Catholic high schools though.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:50 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
other thread.
I don't think we need two threads regarding these schools. Many public schools around here would be way better than Catholic Schools to say the least.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I don't think we need two threads regarding these schools. Many public schools around here would be way better than Catholic Schools to say the least.
It's the OP's choice to have multiple threads. One is about Catholic schools in general. This one is about Catholic schools and learning disabilities. While the majority of our public school districts are superior to the Catholic schools, some people prefer a Catholic education for their children.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:03 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
It's the OP's choice to have multiple threads. One is about Catholic schools in general. This one is about Catholic schools and learning disabilities. While the majority of our public school districts are superior to the Catholic schools, some people prefer a Catholic education for their children.
And it is my choice to state there is no reason to have two threads. Also, most of the Catholic schools in our region are into sports more than anything. Look at Central for goodness sake. They run it like a college/business for profit. Recruiting football players, which are of course brought up in strict catholic families. I mean come on!

Anyway, we should tell the truth about it in this region. Stay away from Central if you want education to be the focus.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
And it is my choice to state there is no reason to have two threads. Also, most of the Catholic schools in our region are into sports more than anything. Look at Central for goodness sake. They run it like a college/business for profit. Recruiting football players, which are of course brought up in strict catholic families. I mean come on!

Anyway, we should tell the truth about it in this region. Stay away from Central if you want education to be the focus.
What has happened to the Protestant ethic of this once great nation?

Old 02-03-2014, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Central was discussed in the other thread. Maybe you should post there since you think there should only be one.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Central was discussed in the other thread. Maybe you should post there since you think there should only be one.
And don't get him started on Squirrel Hill's Yeshivot.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:25 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
What has happened to the Protestant ethic of this once great nation?
Quote:
Quote:
Hilarity ensues on an otherwise mundane Monday night.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
You better not start two threads about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh