Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:00 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
My point is the suburbs pull the R no matter what. Democrats have no chance in these areas. It is the same argument you use for the city always pulling the D lever.

I do not see the suburbs changing much. Pulling the R level hasn't pushed them toward a path of progression or youth. They like the status quo out there.

I am beginning to see the huge age difference of the residents in the city and the suburbs. I see a lot of young people at the gym and walking the neighborhoods in the city.

In bethel park i went to a social event last week where of the 500 people there I was probably the youngest at 33. It looked like an AARP function.
Again, what city do you want to live in that will make you happy?

I'm guessing Bethel Park is not on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Young professionals are being hired at google and american eagle and their wages are high. They know the future is in the city and that is why the companies are investing here.

BTW McCandless lost nearly 1,000 people between the 2000 and 2010 census. Bethel Park lost 1,200, Sewickley lost 2 percent of its population.

The suburbs peaked in the early 2000s the trend has reversed to the city.

I wouldn't give up on the suburbs yet. There is a lot to say about ample parking day or night.

I wish I could find they story, but there was a suggestion in the 1980's floated where a columnist in the Press suggested that the suburbs to the north, south and west merge into "New Pittsburgh" as the future of the area.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:01 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,140,512 times
Quote:
Sucks to be old and white, but I'll keep paying my taxes to keep the economy running. Tell me how being progressive in the City will change things. The Dems have run this town/county for years, and even you admit you would like to live somewhere else.
Old politics is old politics. Party matters little on those matters.

Quote:
So, the only people moving into the city will be rich, how else could you afford those prices.
Wow, you talk about yinzers....

Old 02-04-2014, 07:02 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Educate the masses? Eliminate unions? Get rid of yinzers n'at?

Hey, I have no answers, just like living in the 'burbs where you get a great bang for your tax buck.
No, I mean is there anything short of electing a Republican mayor which you would admit is "defeating the machine."

Old 02-04-2014, 07:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
My point is the suburbs pull the R no matter what. Democrats have no chance in these areas. It is the same argument you use for the city always pulling the D lever.

I do not see the suburbs changing much. Pulling the R level hasn't pushed them toward a path of progression or youth. They like the status quo out there.

I am beginning to see the huge age difference of the residents in the city and the suburbs. I see a lot of young people at the gym and walking the neighborhoods in the city.

In bethel park i went to a social event last week where of the 500 people there I was probably the youngest at 33. It looked like an AARP function.
Lots of students and people who don't have children in the city, more of those likely to be younger. There is still an appeal for those settling down with a little yard to have the young'uns to play in for the suburbs

Old 02-04-2014, 07:05 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
No, I mean is there anything short of electing a Republican mayor which you would admit is "defeating the machine."
Ya got me, I'm just tired of the same old same old. I'm glad that Boy Luke is gone, seems like Mr. Peduto has the right idea. Really liked Mr. O'Conner(sp), RIP. Hey, I love this area, 61 years on the planet. Just get tired of the old Dem thing.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:11 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Lots of students and people who don't have children in the city, more of those likely to be younger. There is still an appeal for those settling down with a little yard to have the young'uns to play in for the suburbs
Bingo

This thread is stupid. Claiming everybody is either R in the suburbs or D in the city is ludacris. Or the same for young people vs old people. Everybody is an individual and has their own choices. Personally, once I'm done with school (in 3 months yay for me ), I'm moving out to the suburbs. I've loved my time in the city, but I've had enough of it for now. Also, I'm a republican at age 24 . So classifying every young person as democratic and city loving or old people as suburban loving republicans is just dumb.

As for the point made about the suburbs dying off and declining like Penn Hills (Just one suburbs by the way), just no. Bethel Park and McCandless will never be a ghetto. Ever.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:13 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times
Wow, lots of haters hating on Bethel here. Who knew that Bethel merely consisted of a bunch of geriatrics rolling around in their wheel chairs pulling the lever for Republicans. I guess all those kids and young people that I see jogging and hanging around South Park are the great grand kids visiting. Who needs a yard and the ability to listen to the birds when you can live in an Section 8 inner city slum with all those progressive "enlightened" people.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:18 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times
Quote:
My point is the suburbs pull the R no matter what. Democrats have no chance in these areas.
Bethel Park voted for Obama 57% vs Romney 42%. There are a lot of Democrats in the suburbs and vice versa.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Bethel Park voted for Obama 57% vs Romney 42%. There are a lot of Democrats in the suburbs and vice versa.
You are on fire tonight. I'd rep you for this post, but I just repped your other post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh