Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

It does seem that the demand-highway-demand cycle is a chicken and egg situation. Which came first? I'm not a huge proponent of highways, and I have seen cases where they spurred development, but there has to be a reality orientation somewhere. The Parkway is an old road. Whatever development it spurred is probably over and done with.

I really don't like the "stick" approach to getting people to stop driving, e.g. eliminating parking subsidies, etc. If a business wants to provide a benefit like that for its employees, why should it be prohibited from doing so? There are businesses around here (metro Denver, particularly in Boulder) that provide a bus pass. What's the difference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I really don't like the "stick" approach to getting people to stop driving, e.g. eliminating parking subsidies, etc.
I don't think that you can reasonably describe eliminating a subsidy as a "stick."

Quote:
If a business wants to provide a benefit like that for its employees, why should it be prohibited from doing so? There are businesses around here (metro Denver, particularly in Boulder) that provide a bus pass. What's the difference?
As a matter of tax law, the difference is that an employer can provide $120/month more of free parking than free transit before you have to pay taxes on it.

Employer transportation benefits in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-06-2014, 08:58 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Quote:
It...

I really don't like the "stick" approach to getting people to stop driving, e.g. eliminating parking subsidies, etc. If a business wants to provide a benefit like that for its employees, why should it be prohibited from doing so? There are businesses around here (metro Denver, particularly in Boulder) that provide a bus pass. What's the difference?
parking subsidies are a carrot for driving not a stick. a congestion charge is a stick. I think you are misunderstanding what is meant by parking subsidies. we're not talking about benefits businesses are offering for their employees out of their own pocket, we're talking about parking capacity being built with taxpayer dollars. the saks garage and the millcraft parking monstrosity called the gardens are both subsidized parking capacity increases.at the federal level it means evening the tax deduction for parking ($250/mo) and transit ($130/mo I think) or eliminating it for both.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:08 AM

I can't argue the Pittsburgh issues w/o doing a lot of research, which I don't want to do right now. However, providing parking in cities is simply facing reality that people will drive their cars, and keeps these cars from causing a huge congestion problem as they drive around looking for street parking, park in front of people's houses, etc.

Here is some information about the bus passes our transportation district offers.
RTD

Old 02-06-2014, 09:29 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Quote:
I can't argue the Pittsburgh issues w/o doing a lot of research, which I don't want to do right now. However, providing parking in cities is simply facing reality that people will drive their cars, and keeps these cars from causing a huge congestion problem as they drive around looking for street parking, park in front of people's houses, etc.
no, it's not, it's directly encouraging them to drive which is not particularly the best use of tax dollars. while it's true that transit is also subsidized, transit raises property values, parking garages do not . worse, the larger the volume of cars the more the streets are given over to cars, the less desirable it is to live or play there. cities have already tried overcompensating for cars to disastrous effect, scaling back direct car subsidies is a relatively harmless way to stop encouraging excess auto consumption. how many spaces is pnc providing? over in Philadelphia comcast is building the state's largest tower with few parking spaces. neither of these companies have problems attracting employees.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:40 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
Pittsburgh CD forum... where everyone is a Civil/Transportation Engineer.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
no, it's not, it's directly encouraging them to drive which is not particularly the best use of tax dollars. while it's true that transit is also subsidized, transit raises property values, parking garages do not . worse, the larger the volume of cars the more the streets are given over to cars, the less desirable it is to live or play there. cities have already tried overcompensating for cars to disastrous effect, scaling back direct car subsidies is a relatively harmless way to stop encouraging excess auto consumption. how many spaces is pnc providing? over in Philadelphia comcast is building the state's largest tower with few parking spaces. neither of these companies have problems attracting employees.
I'd like to see some evidence that "transit raises property values". I somehow don't think living next to a bus station, or a bus garage, does much for one's property value. Being near, but not on, the busilne, maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Pittsburgh CD forum... where everyone is a Civil/Transportation Engineer.
Point well taken.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:05 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
Quote:

Point well taken.
I'd love to contribute here, as I am a Civil Engineer; but the majority will whine about my proposal saying it doesn't incorporate enough public transit vs highway construction (although my #1 is a public transit project). I'm sorry, some people no matter how easy it is for them, will not take the bus. Sorry, fact of life.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:10 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, some people no matter how easy it is for them, will not take the bus. Sorry, fact of life.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Old 02-06-2014, 10:11 AM

567 posts, read 1,161,203 times
Quote:
I'd love to contribute here, as I am a Civil Engineer; but the majority will whine about my proposal saying it doesn't incorporate enough public transit vs highway construction. I'm sorry, some people no matter how easy it is for them, will not take the bus. Sorry.
Public transit is one thing, at least. But what if fewer people commute off-peak? What about more people carpooling? What if more people want to move closer to the city because we improve it? What if gas prices go up to $5 a gallon? What if our state and municipalities are no longer able to maintain a number of excessive roadways? What if AASHTO standards are BS? What if narrower lanes can actually move people faster? What if there's such support for buses that the quality becomes great, and some of these people actually want to take the bus? What if trends are changing anyway?

These are some of the things that many highway engineers of the past seem to have overlooked in favor of trying to get traffic to be at a freeflow all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh