Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 01:44 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,687,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It actually happened to me when I got my last job. We already had tickets purchased to go to Chicago to look at colleges for our daughter when I was hired. But hey, the interview/hiring happened over a period of say, two weeks when I wasn't even planning to look for a job until we got back. A friend referred me to her office. I've never made plans for a vacation right after starting a job.

Peduto campaigned for the job and was elected knowing when he'd start. But keep on defending the Pittsburgh political system.
You still haven't pointed out any reason why this particular Pedutocation was a bad decision. Was a ball dropped somewhere that we didnt notice? It was a very quiet week. What specific thing did Peduto screw up by taking a vacation here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 02:21 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,233,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Yep. It is a non-issue, and it seems a little early to write him off at this point.
It is amazing how many people on this forum want Pittsburgh to be a failure.
A complete non-issue. Taking time off soon after starting a new job is something I've done at both Microsoft and IBM. Both were kind of accidental job changes. And in my old job when I hired many folks, if they told me about plans when we were haggling, it was a non-issue.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:08 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
You still haven't pointed out any reason why this particular Pedutocation was a bad decision. Was a ball dropped somewhere that we didnt notice? It was a very quiet week. What specific thing did Peduto screw up by taking a vacation here?
The appearance of impropriety. I value my reputation. I work hard to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. - Richard Hanna at BrainyQuote
Anyone in the public eye knows about that, even a lowly public servant like a public health nurse.

So what if it was a quiet week, which, BTW is not what we were hearing on the news. "OMG, this awful storm is hitting the eastern US, yada, yada". I know Pittsburgh didn't get hit hard, but who knew? Does he have a crystal ball or something? Mayor Luke got excoriated for going to Seven Springs during "Snowmageddon".

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
A complete non-issue. Taking time off soon after starting a new job is something I've done at both Microsoft and IBM. Both were kind of accidental job changes. And in my old job when I hired many folks, if they told me about plans when we were haggling, it was a non-issue.
So you think this was a sort of "accidental" job change for Billy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw_now_what View Post
the recurring complaints about no Republican ______ in __ years are insulting, not in the least when they rest on the idea that all Democrats are the same. In cities, the marketplace of ideas tends to be liberal/progressive Democrat vs. conservative/old school Democrat, latter of whom may actually hold more conservative positions on some social issues than some prominent Republicans.

Also I would point out that Peduto has worked for the same employer for upwards of 20 years, in (I believe) three different jobs of increasing responsibility. and as others have said, he was performing some duties of his present job months before taking office. He also is well known for working 12+ hour days. Criticizing him on taking three vacation days Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday of this past week is the laziest possible thinking, not to mention irrelevant from someone who's not a constituent.
The Democratic Party in Pittsburgh is corrupt (as is the Democratic Party of Boulder County, Colorado, or which I am a nominal member). And what, I might ask, was he doing working as mayor before he was mayor? Talk about "appearance of impropriety".

Old 02-15-2014, 03:10 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,459,063 times
Quote:
Agree, a few times when I made job changes there was never a problem if I had made vacation plans in advance.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:59 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,389,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
He made a poor appointment decision at the time of taking his vacation. The guy owes 80k in taxes. Now he is overseeing city finances. Maybe he had his vacation scheduled, but he timed one with the other to be out of town when this disaster of an appointment was made. Now it is out of sight and out of mind.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:15 PM

480 posts, read 609,047 times
Quote:
I give up. The Pittsburgh dems are as corrupt as ever, and their supporters just keep on making excuses for them.
Can you point to any corruption that relates to Bill Peduto?

Old 02-15-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghuser View Post
Can you point to any corruption that relates to Bill Peduto?
No

Old 02-15-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
No
Calm down, Katiana, calm down. It was a snowy, then somewhat sunny day here, and now its a cold beautiful clear night. There's an excellent new bar opened in Squirrel Hill. They had barramundi fillets at Penn Ave Fish Co. The roads are clear. Peduto is back to work and the world hasn't ended. We're going skiing tomorrow and the future looks bright.

I hope it is equally agreeable in Boulder too.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Calm down, Katiana, calm down. It was a snowy, then somewhat sunny day here, and now its a cold beautiful clear night. There's an excellent new bar opened in Squirrel Hill. They had barramundi fillets at Penn Ave Fish Co. The roads are clear. Peduto is back to work and the world hasn't ended. We're going skiing tomorrow and the future looks bright.

I hope it is equally agreeable in Boulder too.
Calm down? I answered directly. It's supposed to be in the 60s this week. We're going out to some trendy brunch place tomorrow with our daughter.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Calm down? I answered directly. It's supposed to be in the 60s this week. We're going out to some trendy brunch place tomorrow with our daughter.
I have some buddies in Telluride right now. Aussie ski conditions, they say. That's not a compliment.

Enjoy brunch . Maybe we can all give slightly more insightful comments on Mr Peduto after he's been in office 6 or more months. I see positive signs, but we'll see ...

Last edited by gortonator; 02-16-2014 at 05:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh