Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 04:20 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,391,440 times

Advertisements

1,000 jobs lost between cranberry and marshall townships.....

Verizon Wireless to close 2 local call centers, cut 1,000 jobs | TribLIVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 04:43 PM

369 posts, read 460,368 times
Default Home Depot to hire 900 in Pittsburgh region

Home Depot to hire 900 in Pittsburgh region - Pittsburgh Business Times

Columbus law firm moving to BNY Mellon Center
Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP moving to BNY Mellon Center - Pittsburgh Business Times

Another sign that the shale revolution is more than just front line well jobs. As the Pittsburgh region has become a major admin/corporate center for this industry, it has translated to good paying legal, geological, and other spin off jobs for Pittsburgh.

Yahoo to increase Pittsburgh presence beyond CMU partnership

Yahoo to increase Pittsburgh presence beyond CMU partnership (Video) - Pittsburgh Business Times

IIRC this is exactly how Google Pittsburgh began only a few years ago.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:55 PM

98 posts, read 172,595 times
This is an ever growing problem that extends past the "my US city is better than yours" . No doubt some of these jobs are going overseas so a few corporate slimeballs can buy some new yachts and cars. I'm all for rewarding hard and or smart work with monetary compensation but the American worker can't get ahead anymore even if they can find a job.

Verizon has been pissing me off for a few years. When my current cable and cell phone contracts are up. BYE! (And I won't be going back to AT&T for cell, they pissed me off in '99 and I won't forget it . )

Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,823,476 times
The sad thing about this is these are high paying jobs for low skilled workers. The only job requirement is a low typing speed and a year of retail experience. They make over 60k within just a few years and health insurance is fully paid by the company. They'll never earn the same money again. If their mortgage depends on their income, this will severely impact their financial stability. If they're smart, they'll all go to college while collecting unemployment.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The sad thing about this is these are high paying jobs for low skilled workers. The only job requirement is a low typing speed and a year of retail experience. They make over 60k within just a few years and health insurance is fully paid by the company. They'll never earn the same money again. If their mortgage depends on their income, this will severely impact their financial stability. If they're smart, they'll all go to college while collecting unemployment.
Where do all of these people go to find work? They will have to leave the region....

Old 02-13-2014, 04:04 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,522,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Where do all of these people go to find work? They will have to leave the region....
Unless they have fairly specialized skills, there's nowhere else to go.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:27 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,490,401 times
I recently fired my butler, so I guess that is in the job loss count. Just can't find good help these days.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Unless they have fairly specialized skills, there's nowhere else to go.
It just seems we lose a good chunck of jobs at once. We arent getting nickled and dimed. A few hundred here a thousand there.

Imo it is so important for this regions future to encourage small biz startup and growth. We need to replace and offset job losses. If not we will always be in danger of a declining population and economy.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:18 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,028,976 times
oh, great, so more offshore operators, named "milly", "meg", and "robert"? i am tired of hearing myself say "uh, what was that again, please?" because i couldnt understand what they were saying.

i read recently that a slovenian company involved in LED lighting was looking at the Pittsburgh area for a headquarters (regional HQ?) AND for manufacturing.

hopefully it could be long term, more stable employment for unskilled, low-skilled, or hard-to-place workers.

Developer eyes bringing LED manufacturing to Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Local firm reviewing possible U.S. partnership with Slovenian LED company - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 02-13-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
oh, great, so more offshore operators, named "milly", "meg", and "robert"? i am tired of hearing myself say "uh, what was that again, please?" because i couldnt understand what they were saying.

i read recently that a slovenian company involved in LED lighting was looking at the Pittsburgh area for a headquarters (regional HQ?) AND for manufacturing.

hopefully it could be long term, more stable employment for unskilled, low-skilled, or hard-to-place workers.

Developer eyes bringing LED manufacturing to Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Local firm reviewing possible U.S. partnership with Slovenian LED company - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
They are looking at pittsburgh, cleveland and denver. I think they have an office in cleveland already. Due to this i would assume cleveland may have the inside track on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh