Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:10 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Something weird happened to the link when you posted it, Jay. If I click on the link in Catia's post, it is

"https://maps.google.com/maps?num=50&q=corfu+st+at+dumas+pittsburgh+pa+1522 0&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8834f69f8865c30f:0x178a6c3753a2b6db, Dumas+St+%26+Corfu+St,+Pittsburgh,+PA+15220&gl=us& ei=Z_j-UszeEaLiyAHl3oCoDA&ved=0CCgQ8gEwAA"

but in your post, it is
"https://maps.google.com/maps?num=50&q=google+maps+pittsburgh&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8834f16f48068503:0x8df915a15aa21b34, Pittsburgh,+PA&gl=us&ei=Bvf-Uq-ZOcKfyQGY2YDQCg&ved=0CCYQ8gEwAA"

somehow, the "corfu+st+at+dumas+pittsburgh+pa+15220" became "google+maps+pittsburgh" and that is why it is just showing you the map of Pgh.

This is so curious. Up to now, I've been clicking on the link in the quote box from Catia rather than the one in her post.

I just clicked on the link you sent, doo dah, and yes, I get to Dumas and Corfu Streets. Also, when I click on the link in Catia's original post, I go there, too.

Somehow, the link didn't transpose correctly in the quoting process. How bizarre.

Thanks for your help figuring all of this out, doo dah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 01:22 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Is that Corfu and Dumas house the one with the large Christmas-tree shaped light display that you can see from the West End Bridge?

Old 02-15-2014, 02:15 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In the same general area, I've always found this house ridiculous, as it's situated at the very end of an alley where it's the only house. I'm sure the tax money collected isn't worth paving the street, even if it only gets paved once every twenty years.

I think this house even tops it though in terms of sheer "How the hell is that still there?"
you could just make it a gravel st to save on pavnig costs. that's actually a fascinating location. I love that the house doesn't even face the street. it's not that difficult to imagine this location becoming desirable again.
toboggan st seems aptly named. seems like you'd be better off with a funicular than a street.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:12 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think this house even tops it though in terms of sheer "How the hell is that still there?"
This one really is pretty strange. Imagine getting deliveries there. That land really has no value, though, so I don't see the harm in the house being there. It's not like it's big enough or flat enough to put anything else there.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:38 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catia View Post

Below West End Overlook, there was a nook, with beautiful houses, & they became unstable. I was in them *after* they were condemned, it was so sad to see, because they were beautiful inside & had great view.

^^^ from Catia's comment where she links to Corfu Street. Yes, the City had to acquire i think two houses, raze them, then level it out. if you use the trail on the northern side of the river, look across and you can see this weird plateau that was created by levelling it out.

how unbelievably unfortunate! can...you...imagine the view from up there!? but, the hillside came down and that was that. one guy, a former resident, is actually suing the city for some b-s reason.

as for the COST of maintaining and/or serving some of the one or two-home nook streets, i'll look in to that. i am currently sleeping with 4 city employees, so thats where i can get some inside info...

Old 02-15-2014, 03:45 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
toboggan st seems aptly named. seems like you'd be better off with a funicular than a street.
The public stairwell actually has a different name (Rising Main Avenue). A house was for sale there a few months back, IIRC. One of the three rather nice ones at the bottom of the steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
This one really is pretty strange. Imagine getting deliveries there. That land really has no value, though, so I don't see the harm in the house being there. It's not like it's big enough or flat enough to put anything else there.
Although not as extreme, Bigelow Boulevard through Polish Hill is rather similar, insofar as a street was turned into a highway, despite residential structures still existing there.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:05 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i am currently sleeping with 4 city employees, so thats where i can get some inside info...
Now YOU know how to celebrate Valentine's Day....

Old 02-15-2014, 06:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
To answer the question in the thread title, emotionally, no, I don't think the "nooks and crannies" should be allowed to die. I think they have a certain charm. When I was a public health nurse in Pgh in the early 70s, I paid a few visits to some of those places. As a practical matter, they're probably costly for the city to maintain services. But, there aren't very many of them!

Old 02-15-2014, 06:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
There's no reason to take these properties away from owners. If the city chooses to not maintain a road, ownership of the road can be transferred to the homeowners. The roads can become their driveways.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
^^That's a good solution! I was thinking too about police, fire, etc. But like I said, there aren't that many of them, so the total cost shouldn't be *that* exorbitant to send a police car out once in a while.

ETA: I would never suggest that the city condem or otherwise take a homeowner's property.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-15-2014 at 07:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh