Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 05:00 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
The birds were way cool. That was a great mall "back in the day". Mama Lucia's right next to the arcade "The Boardwalk" and Herman's Sporting Goods. Don't forget Woolworth's or GC Murphy's, and National Record Mart. Good stuff for sure.
Talk about a "blast from the past".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 10:27 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Seems the Northway Mall is a bit dated.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:32 AM
gg

This is good news for the area. They are also getting a Trader Joes at McCandless Crossing and already have about everything under the sun up that way. It is really a shopping mecca. Hopefully they can keep it nice and not follow Monroeville's path. I think it will be pretty good up there for a long time though. Congrats to the North Hills.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:54 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
This is good news for the area. They are also getting a Trader Joes at McCandless Crossing and already have about everything under the sun up that way. It is really a shopping mecca. Hopefully they can keep it nice and not follow Monroeville's path. I think it will be pretty good up there for a long time though. Congrats to the North Hills.
Pittsburgh's northern suburbs are quickly becoming its most desirable suburbs, and the median household income in the area is quite high, so I doubt that McKnight Road will be hurting anytime soon.

As for Monroeville, William Penn Highway is still doing fine, though Monroeville Mall needs more than the half-assed update it was given last decade, and also needs a stable anchor at the east end of the mall.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:08 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Pittsburgh's northern suburbs are quickly becoming its most desirable suburbs, and the median household income in the area is quite high, so I doubt that McKnight Road will be hurting anytime soon.
Um, the Northern suburbs have been desirable for decades. What do you mean, quickly becoming? You needed to post that 20 years ago.

Keep in mind, the Southern suburbs have some desirable areas as well. That T helped, not to mention some beautiful homes down there.

Anyway, this is good to have all that shopping in a close area so people living in the city can drive out there to do some shopping.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:12 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Um, the Northern suburbs have been desirable for decades. What do you mean, quickly becoming? You needed to post that 20 years ago.

Keep in mind, the Southern suburbs have some desirable areas as well. That T helped, not to mention some beautiful homes down there.

Anyway, this is good to have all that shopping in a close area so people living in the city can drive out there to do some shopping.
The biggest problem many areas south and southeast of the city have is that they have the worst highway infrastructure in the county and probably the worst commutes in the area as well. Hopefully the Rt 51/88 reconstruction project helps with the traffic a lot because I think the bad shape Rt 51 is in will hold back many of the suburbs and neighborhoods along it.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:22 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
The biggest problem many areas south and southeast of the city have is that they have the worst highway infrastructure in the county and probably the worst commutes in the area as well. Hopefully the Rt 51/88 reconstruction project helps with the traffic a lot because I think the bad shape Rt 51 is in will hold back many of the suburbs and neighborhoods along it.
Personally, I don't want to see roads continually get bigger and bigger and promoting more and more urban sprawl. Look at McKnightmare Road! Talk about a horrible thing to drive on, but if you want to shop they got the stores. That whole region is a drag and is really odd living if you ask me, but many love the idea of driving around in a big SUV, going to the gym, trying to show off and always be in a hurry and aggressive. It is an ugly life in many ways, but as we can see it is very popular. Look at that North Allegheny School. Talk about huge and filled with every SUV known to man when little Parker gets out of school. Of course my district looks about the same on a smaller scale.

Ah well, car centric places are popular. You can walk anywhere up that way. Imagine just shopping on one side of McKnight and wanting to go to a store on the other side of the street. You can see the store, but you can't get there.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:29 PM

65 posts, read 87,783 times
Maybe I'm just crazy, but I don't really think of McKnight Road as that bad in terms of traveling it. The areas around Monroeville Mall or Robinson seem a lot more of a pain to me to navigate. If you are traveling around the north hills, there are plenty of side roads to get you where you are going and can bring you out onto McKnight closer to your destination if that's the goal. The good thing about McKnight is that most of your traffic is confined to a very specific area. If that's the only part of the north hills area you drive, I guess it would seem bad. With the exception of specific times for Christmas shopping, it's not usually not terrible.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
The bird cage!

Old 02-16-2014, 12:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Here's a picture with National Record Mart in the background.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh