Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 06:18 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Are they loud?
Not really. They were generally pretty calm and sedate, as if they too were just waiting out the winter before they could get back to their normal gull-y business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 06:33 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Not really. They were generally pretty calm and sedate, as if they too were just waiting out the winter before they could get back to their normal gull-y business.
In my experience a bunch of gulls standing around are not usually noisy. But I'm not really used to these northern ones which may be different sometimes. I've only really experienced big groups of gulls recently in Florida. Seems that much of the behavior is similar though.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
In my experience a bunch of gulls standing around are not usually noisy. But I'm not really used to these northern ones which may be different sometimes. I've only really experienced big groups of gulls recently in Florida. Seems that much of the behavior is similar though.
Agreed. If Hopes or someone else wants some noisy gulls, they just need to toss over some food.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:36 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I don't want noisy gulls. I was just wondering. I wouldn't feed them because I'd feel unfair since there is no way to feed all of them.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:12 AM

632 posts, read 853,042 times
Huh. I wondered why all of the seagulls were hanging out in the parking lots near Century III Mall.
Had never seen them around here before.

I had lived in Toledo where they could be quite annoying.
Whatever you were carrying out of a store, they were convinced it was for them,
and they'd repeated swoop down after it until you got it safely in the trunk.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:40 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
I don't want noisy gulls. I was just wondering. I wouldn't feed them because I'd feel unfair since there is no way to feed all of them.
It can be quite scary to feed gulls. In August 2012 while vacationing in the Outer Banks we ate at Sonic. While parked and eating tater tots one lonely gull came wandering over next to my car door and looked at me, begging and pleading. I thought "poor little guy" and tossed a tater tot his way. Before I knew it I was quickly pulling up my window as an entire flock of the cackling things descended upon my sedan like something out of a horror movie!

Old 02-17-2014, 01:23 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It can be quite scary to feed gulls. In August 2012 while vacationing in the Outer Banks we ate at Sonic. While parked and eating tater tots one lonely gull came wandering over next to my car door and looked at me, begging and pleading. I thought "poor little guy" and tossed a tater tot his way. Before I knew it I was quickly pulling up my window as an entire flock of the cackling things descended upon my sedan like something out of a horror movie!
That sounds a lot like Market Square in the 90s. If you feed one pigeon, look out overhead.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:36 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times
Quote:
They can be noisy at times, but nowhere near what the crows are.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I once observed this while feeding a seagull, I forget where or when. The instant the bird received a morsel of food, he began calling out, attracting all sorts of other seagulls to the spot. I was fascinated to watch as one gull became quite the crowd. Obviously, the seagull was crying out "Food here!" in seagullese so that its comrades would know where they could get some grub.

These days I never feed any birds, no matter how much they may beg. It does more harm than good in that it teaches the birds to view humans as a food source, creating a dependency, and the food itself is unlikely to be nutritiously appropriate.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:18 PM

632 posts, read 853,042 times
A Seagull vs. a Crow for a McDonald's French Fry is an evenly matched heavyweight battle for the ages!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh