Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:39 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,317,437 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Pittsburgh, and are planning on visiting the Pittsburgh area in the next few weeks. I would appreciate receiving recommendations on the following:

An area or hotel to stay in -- safe area + fairly central.

I have seen a city map on wikipedia that is bordered by Fairywood/Windgap, Brighton Heights/Perry North, Homewood North/South and East Hills, Lincoln Place and Banksville. How much further out does the metro area (suburbs within reasonable distance) extend?

Where is the business district?

Any suggestion for outdoor activity such as hiking, and must-see kid-related places.

Go Pittsburgh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 12:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
We are thinking about moving to Pittsburgh, and are planning on visiting the Pittsburgh area in the next few weeks. I would appreciate receiving recommendations on the following:

Don't know, don't live there any more.

I have seen a city map on wikipedia that is bordered by Fairywood/Windgap, Brighton Heights/Perry North, Homewood North/South and East Hills, Lincoln Place and Banksville. How much further out does the metro area (suburbs within reasonable distance) extend?

"Reasonable distance" is an individual thing. To the north, the suburbs extend to southern Butler County. To the west, the suburbs kind of go to the Allegheny Co. line and then you get into the old mill towns in Beaver County, which are suburbs as well. I'm not as familiar with the east and south, but they extend at least to Monroeville to the east and Peter's Twp in Washington Co to the south.

Downtown, near the point, and extending east a ways.

Any suggestion for outdoor activity such as hiking, and must-see kid-related places.

There are lots of state parks within driving distance where you can hike, also some county parks. McConnell's Mills, Moraine and Raccoon Creek SP, Brady's Run Co. Park in Beaver County. I never had kids there. The next few weeks are not prime outdoor activity weather, unless it snows and you can go sledding or cross-country skiing.

Go Pittsburgh!
Enjoy your trip!

Old 12-02-2007, 05:07 AM

15 posts, read 23,486 times
Quote:

Go Pittsburgh!
I just moved out of Shadyside and I believe there is a Marriot at Central and Liberty Avenue. It's one of the more posh hotels there for sure. It has a Starbucks in it and best of all it's within walking distance of Shadyside. After you walk there and see all of the shops and eateries you may just want to move there.

And my name sake, Frick Park, is great for outdoor enthusiasts in the city. If I have a day off when you are around, let me know and I can show you the park. It's the city's largest, over 300 acres.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:39 AM

104 posts, read 353,576 times
When we came to scope out Pittsburgh we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Southside. It's a great hotel and pretty central if you have a car.

I'd say the city goes out a bit farther in all directions than your wikipedia map. I, for one, live just south of Banksville in Mt Lebanon. Back up and extend the map a bit.

As for kid friendly things to do, there are tons. The Carnegie Science Center is fantastic, as is the Children's museum. The zoo is great but it's pretty cold for that. Also, there's a fantastic exhibit at the Phipps of Chihuly glass (if it's still there) that's a must-see.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:08 AM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
as is the Children's museum.
Definitely go here!! I hear Children just love it!!

Here is the website!

Children's Museum of Pittsburgh

Old 12-02-2007, 09:59 AM

Is the Bates Street/Forbes Ave area beetween U. Pittsburgh and Schenley Park a good area to stay? Is it a safe area?

If anyone has comments about the areas around the following schools (safety, traffic, cost of housing, ..) please let me know. (I am yet to look for a job, so this is a general question about these areas).
Franklin Elementary, Sewickley
Hosack Elementary, Allison Park
Marshall Elementary, Wexford
Ohara Elementary, Pittsburgh
Washington Elementary, Pittsburgh
Streams Elementary School, Pittsburgh

Thanks.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:38 AM

Clarification about my previous post --

Question about Bates Street/Forbes Ave area is for hotel stay when we come to visit.

Question about elementary schools is related to areas/subdivisions we might want to check out when we visit. Let me know if you know the area around one or more of those schools.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:24 PM

156 posts, read 296,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhprentiss View Post
When we came to scope out Pittsburgh we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Southside. It's a great hotel and pretty central if you have a car.

I'd say the city goes out a bit farther in all directions than your wikipedia map. I, for one, live just south of Banksville in Mt Lebanon. Back up and extend the map a bit.

As for kid friendly things to do, there are tons. The Carnegie Science Center is fantastic, as is the Children's museum. The zoo is great but it's pretty cold for that. Also, there's a fantastic exhibit at the Phipps of Chihuly glass (if it's still there) that's a must-see.
Yes, the Chihuly exhibit is still there -- it was extended until some time in February. Also, a wonderful dinosaur exhibit just opened at the Carnegie Museum in Oakland. There are really two major business districts -- downtown, and Oakland (universities and hospitals). Be sure to check out both. There are lots of interesting urban neighborhoods - Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Friendship, Highland Park, Point Breeze, etc. Also, it's fun to take one of the inclines up Mt Washington to see the view, and, if it isn't too cold, to walk along the north shore along one of the rivers. etc.

The hotels downtown and in Oakland are somewhat expensive, but great for their locations. My friends recently visited and stayed at the Omni William Penn downtown. They really enjoyed the hotel and location. I believe they were able to get a reasonable price on a website such as priceline.

Enjoy your visit.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:01 PM

15 posts, read 23,486 times
Quote:
Clarification about my previous post --

Question about Bates Street/Forbes Ave area is for hotel stay when we come to visit.

Question about elementary schools is related to areas/subdivisions we might want to check out when we visit. Let me know if you know the area around one or more of those schools.
I drive through there every day, those hotels in that area are fine to stay in, Panera Bread is close.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,567 times
I live in the North Hills. While I don't know anything about the Sewickley or Allison Park schools, the area is nice and safe. I might also recommend checking out the Shaler intermediate school, which is near the same area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh