Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times

Advertisements

"Who Cleans the Snow?"

Mother Nature, when she gets back from her vacation at the end of April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:24 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Nobody is going to be clearing sidewalks along bridges and parks when their main priority is clearing the roads. It's just not going to happen. It usually doesn't snow as much as it has this winter. Snow typically melts within a day or two. The best thing people can do for their own safety is to invest in boots/shoes with good treads. There are ice cleats, but I've never seen a Pittsburgher use them. We're not deep into snow country here.
That's a little over-the-top. The sidewalks and paths in the The Allegheny Commons do get cleared by the city at least half of the time so someone is actively doing it, just not reliably or consistently.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:28 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
"Who Cleans the Snow?"

Mother Nature, when she gets back from her vacation at the end of April.
30 days until the first day of spring!
March Equinox: March 20, 2014, 16:57 UTC

Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
30 days until the first day of spring!
March Equinox: March 20, 2014, 16:57 UTC
Indeed! It has been a L-O-N-G winter! Praying that the winter goes out like a lamb.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:35 AM

632 posts, read 853,509 times
My grandfather was an attorney, and he was always out shoveling as the first hint of snow.
(he could tell you 15 nasty things that would happen to you if someone slipped and fell on your sidewalk, all of them in Latin). And he had a corner lot which meant he had quite a lot of sidewalk to maintain. As he got older we all knew to get over to his house as soon as the snow started to fall.

The law states the property owner is to clear the walk within 24 hours. Obviously some of us are more conscientious than others. There are SO many properties in the city I think they might go broke trying to actually enforce it. For one thing many homeowners are elderly, and are no longer in any physical condition to shovel snow. Does the city want to find itself on the 11 o'clock news butting heads with an 87 year old shut-in because they tried to fine her for not having her walk cleared? I don't think so.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:37 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
They'll be pretty clear on Thursday or Friday regardless, I should think. For a little while anyway.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:06 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
That's a little over-the-top. The sidewalks and paths in the The Allegheny Commons do get cleared by the city at least half of the time so someone is actively doing it, just not reliably or consistently.
I hated it when "someone" cleared the paths in Allegheny Commons after that ice storm a couple weeks ago... I... and just about everyone I saw... traipsed through the snow-covered grassy areas instead of slipping and falling on the slick freshly cleared paths.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:12 AM

110 posts, read 609,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
For one thing many homeowners are elderly, and are no longer in any physical condition to shovel snow. Does the city want to find itself on the 11 o'clock news butting heads with an 87 year old shut-in because they tried to fine her for not having her walk cleared? I don't think so.
Growing up, my parents would always help out the elderly in our neighborhood by shoveling their snow. When I was old enough, I continued to do it. Now that I have a house of my own with elderly neighbors, I keep doing it. Every snow, I assist in shoveling my neighbor's sidewalk and driveway. It's a great way to brighten the day of an elderly widow that can't physically move well.

This is just how I take care of the snow removal for the elderly I know.

P.S. the mail man is also thankful of it.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:14 AM

458 posts, read 656,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram8876 View Post
Growing up, my parents would always help out the elderly in our neighborhood by shoveling their snow. When I was old enough, I continued to do it. Now that I have a house of my own with elderly neighbors, I keep doing it. Every snow, I assist in shoveling my neighbor's sidewalk and driveway. It's a great way to brighten the day of an elderly widow that can't physically move well.

This is just how I take care of the snow removal for the elderly I know.

P.S. the mail man is also thankful of it.
I normally shovel our driveway, and clean off the neighbors cars for them, even though they are far from elderly. As a runner and pedestrian, I appreciate when others clean their sidewalks up.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:15 AM

458 posts, read 656,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
My grandfather was an attorney, and he was always out shoveling as the first hint of snow.
(he could tell you 15 nasty things that would happen to you if someone slipped and fell on your sidewalk, all of them in Latin). And he had a corner lot which meant he had quite a lot of sidewalk to maintain. As he got older we all knew to get over to his house as soon as the snow started to fall.

The law states the property owner is to clear the walk within 24 hours. Obviously some of us are more conscientious than others. There are SO many properties in the city I think they might go broke trying to actually enforce it. For one thing many homeowners are elderly, and are no longer in any physical condition to shovel snow. Does the city want to find itself on the 11 o'clock news butting heads with an 87 year old shut-in because they tried to fine her for not having her walk cleared? I don't think so.
Here's some irony for you: Edgar Snyder is not good about clearing his sidewalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh