Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 05:16 AM

606 posts, read 943,733 times

Advertisements

Le Pommier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,412,949 times
This isn't in the city and may seem silly, but I miss a family owned Chinese restaurant/buffet called Master Wok that was in White Oak. My wife and I would eat there every Friday night. The food was good and the family was very nice. We would always and stop to chat with them for a bit. Every time I eat a Chinese place, I compare it to Master Wok.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:10 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,377 times
what about that French restaurant in Hopwood (outside Uniontown) that closed down? Never went there... but it was located in an 18th century house... seemed like a cool experience

Old 02-21-2014, 08:11 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I haven't spent much time on Carson the past couple of years and other than Pub Chip, haven't tried any new places. But I didn't even know Silvi's had closed, let alone the place that took it over. I'd been meaning to try Silvi's as I heard nothing but great things about it.

Not surprised at all about The Colony. They should stop trying to put a restaurant there. It's too big a space for that area. After Andorra couldn't make it there, I'm surprised any non-chain else tried. Sad thing is, it's big enough for a Cheesecake Factory and if that went in there, I'm sure it would be packed to the gills.

And the French place next to the Holiday Inn Express? Never even knew it existed. And I'm someone who'd appreciate a French meal now and then.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:24 AM

French cuisine seems to be just about non-existent in Pittsburgh these days (with the exception of some French bakeries).

Old 02-21-2014, 08:38 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
Quote:
French cuisine seems to be just about non-existent in Pittsburgh these days (with the exception of some French bakeries).
All is not lost!
Welcome to Paris66 - Best French Restaurant in Pittsburgh

Tartine

Old 02-21-2014, 08:39 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
Quote:
what about that French restaurant in Hopwood (outside Uniontown) that closed down? Never went there... but it was located in an 18th century house... seemed like a cool experience
Chez Gerard?

Old 02-21-2014, 08:42 AM

I went to Paris66 once when it just started out and focused almost exclusively on crepes. To be honest... I've heard some bad reviews about the place from friends... and they get a pretty mediocre score on Urbanspoon.

I was initially excited about Tartine... but then I found it it's breakfast/lunch-only... and seems to be an "old lady" type of place.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:52 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,971,575 times
Tartine is very limited in their menu but the food there is pretty amazing. I've been there a half a dozen times and am always impressed.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:28 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Quote:
I went to Paris66 once when it just started out and focused almost exclusively on crepes. To be honest... I've heard some bad reviews about the place from friends... and they get a pretty mediocre score on Urbanspoon.

I was initially excited about Tartine... but then I found it it's breakfast/lunch-only... and seems to be an "old lady" type of place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Tartine is very limited in their menu but the food there is pretty amazing. I've been there a half a dozen times and am always impressed.
Tartine looks positively roadtrip worthy. In French food, "old lady" translates as "cuisine grandmère," and that is a very good thing. Tartine doesn't quite qualify, but it looks good.

I thought Paris 66 was okay, but I'm not a big fan of the bakery they opened in Squirrel Hill. Expensive, which reflects the quality of the ingredients, but neither item I had there (Napoleon, blueberry tart) rocked my world the way pastries at Food Glorious Food, La Gourmandine, or Chatellier do. Their Napoleon is a strange hybrid of crunchy pastry (not the kind of puff pastry I think most are familiar with) and whipped cream (instead of crème pâtissière). And when I asked about it afterwards, they defended it as "chef's choice." I have no problem with that, but call it something other than a Napoleon, s'il vous plait.

Again, Tartine looks good for a class trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh