Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 08:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Hopes suggestion of Greenfield is also a good one. It would be a driving commute, but a short one. Most people consider the Greenfield schools to be decent/good.
The Port Authority website shows there is a bus from Greenfield elementary (not the Giant Eagle bus stop) to Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 08:34 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The Port Authority website shows there is a bus from Greenfield elementary (not the Giant Eagle bus stop) to Oakland.
Yeah, but it's still a big hike up the hill from there to the VA hospital. AFAIK only the 83 stops at the VA Hospital, although the 82 has stops not that far away either. That pretty much limits her to areas beyond her price range (Shadyside, South Side Flats), or which would be problematic from a school perspective (Hill District, Larimer, Lincoln Lemington Belmar).

Old 02-21-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yeah, but it's still a big hike up the hill from there to the VA hospital. AFAIK only the 83 stops at the VA Hospital, although the 82 has stops not that far away either. That pretty much limits her to areas beyond her price range (Shadyside, South Side Flats), or which would be problematic from a school perspective (Hill District, Larimer, Lincoln Lemington Belmar).
Plus, the bus ride alone is 20 minutes when it's a 5 minute drive in the car.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 AM

19 posts, read 25,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The 58 goes from Greenfield to Oakland. Having walked cardiac hill numerous times, it really isn't that bad of a walk once you get used to it. You can take the route through the Pete and use the escalators if you choose. The drive to oakland also isn't that bad (I made it from 2010-2011) if you can find reasonable parking (and go early enough).

Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolfDad View Post
Having walked cardiac hill numerous times, it really isn't that bad of a walk once you get used to it.
The OP says she is disabled. She didn't say the type of disability, but walking Pittsburgh's hills might be a problem.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:40 PM

7 posts, read 7,166 times
Eschaton:
I wouldn't mind living in an "all black area" as long as it was "safe". I have lived in all black neighborhoods in the past one of them being an area of north Philly but not near a university. I did not have a child at the time. I appreciate the honest feedback about the schools though. My child would be going to a "special school" most likely as in the hearing/deaf school. He is disabled but not on ssi or any disability. His disability has nothing to do with mine as mine was military war related after he was born.

Ferraris:
I can walk just not too far as my leg has major injuries, but not sure how I would do on hills. I will be visiting the area very soon and can try to see the feel for it. The budget does not include utilities. I can pay them seperate. My husband is Hispanic. My child does not speak (but he understands both Spanish and English) and he's very "dark" as in skin color. I would most likely need to send him to a special school. He does not get any assistance as my husbands and my overall income is too high even if I didn't work he still would not be eligible financially for ssi. Not sure if any of this matters but I know some areas it does. I heard of a few special schools in pitts and My child has no Speech (most likely never will) and can not hear like others...he does understand Spanish and english both as in words on a tv and he does understand and use basic sign language. He would not be outside without me or away from me besides at school. I don't see him going to a public school as I am going to be Trying to have him enrolled in a special school. Even if tuition would be high his father/my husband could/would cover it. My disabilities are physical but I worry about his more because I do not need him teased/bullied.

I heard wonderful things about the school in pitts for deaf/hearing impaired and that is one of the main reasons I was drawn to the area. I realize they can board and commute students but I would rather be close by. That is why I would not be joining my husband overseas because lack of services for our son.

My son is so dark he is often mistaken for being black or mixed with black. Would this cause any issues? I'm pale as possible and blonde. My husband is american citizen but his family originally from Honduras. He served in the us military with me. I don't need a Hispanic area...my son watches/reads Spanish/ English but does not need to be In spanish area. Although, its nice if possible but after three years his father will be joining us. He does not mind if he is around Spanish or not.
I just wouldn't want issues being only white person in an area. I'm not racist at all, but have experienced negative reactions from others thinking my child is blk/mixed with black. He is not.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:57 PM

Thank u all for the feedback. I have a disability with my leg from the war but I Can still walk it just takes longer. If a walk is 20 min for average person, it takes me twice as long.
I enjoy walking if safe area and sidewalk or area to walk.
I do have a car in good condition...but always liked options as in bus, walk, car, subway, train, metro, taxi, etc. one of the reasons that I was interested in that area was because my job would be at the va as most of my own medical care would be there also. My son would most likely need to go to a special school not far from hospital area (not sure exact distance but will be visiting there soon)
But he would also need to go to lawrenceville
To children's hospital if that's where it located at quit often. We have decent insurance both my husband and I, so I am thankful for that. Both of us did 20 years active duty. I also wanted to be near that area incase I decided to go back to grad school or take some classes at Pitt of near by school. Nothing specific at this time though as my child keeps me pretty busy as in learning sign language and all.

If my rent is too low as in willing price...what would u all suggest to try to budget for? 1200? 1400? Would it include utilities? Parking? I really only wanted cheap as possible as its a rental and not a long term investment. I am not ready to buy until my husband would return overseas and see where he would want to reside, etc.

Thanks again all for the suggested areas. I am going to check the areas out soon on my visit to pitts..basically I keep to myself and so does my child. I just don't want to be in an area that people of any race would cause us problems when we keep to ourselves...I go to work and every minute I'm not at work I feel as if I'm spending it with child trying to have him learn more. He enjoys Ice skating and I heard pitts is big on Ice hockey and skating. Not sure if he would be accepted but regardless he enjoys skating as a hobby. But we really keep to ourselves a lot. I do appreciate all the feedback.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra40 View Post
I can walk just not too far as my leg has major injuries, but not sure how I would do on hills. I will be visiting the area very soon and can try to see the feel for it.
I have a feeling our hills will be a challenge. If you feel the same way when you see them, plan on driving to work and parking somewhere on top of the hill. Calculate the parking lease into your budget.

Greenfield could be difficult for you. The neighborhood is entirely steep hills. Morningside is nice and flat but there isn't much of a business district. Bloomfield and Friendship are flat and Bloomfield has a great business district. (Friendship is right next to Bloomfield.)

If you can live the suburban lifestyle, I saw some houses in Shaler on Craig's List within your budget. That area is convenient to Oakland and the school or the deaf. The school for the deaf is halfway between the two. The commute driving into Oakland is about 15 minutes from the areas of Shaler with the lower priced rentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondra40 View Post
I just wouldn't want issues being only white person in an area. I'm not racist at all, but have experienced negative reactions from others thinking my child is blk/mixed with black. He is not.
You'll run into that more in the black neighborhoods.

Last edited by Hopes; 02-21-2014 at 09:21 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 09:23 PM

Hopes; thanks for the input. I'll be sure to
Check out those areas. I will be visiting the school also. It would be nice to be close to both his school and work if at all possible or easy commute to both if needed.

I do notice in other cities and areas that other races (non white) have more of an issue with my child being so "dark" meaning they often make remarks. I feel like people do not realize I am as old as I am. Often white people will only ask if he was adopted if my husband not with us. As for other races (non white) I often get rude remarks regardless if husband with us or not. I do not know how pitts is as far as race or marriages between two races (husband Spanish (Honduras background) and me white.

I have always been open to all races and all people as I grew up a military brat and then served in military myself. I have lived mostly overseas but have lived in various US cities also. I often feel it is others how have more of An issue for some reason (meaning more non whites make comments outload). My husband and I meet in Japan. No one seemed to care what race we were there or in Korea or in Germany. My child been around all races/backgrounds so far. He is still young and also has his own disabilities, not sure if he is aware of any tensions yet or not.

White people as my own race are usually not rude directly as they see I work and so does my husband. We never qualified for child care discounts or even wic. Only a few comments here and there if husband not with us about if child was adopted.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
there's hardly any latinos up in here. if anything, one will think hes black, if hes that dark. im more caramel, so I get confused with Arabic often. funny thing is, I used to be as white as they come that youd think I was a white latino. I was, but as a kid I hated those sun protectors and well...I got burnt/darkened

I cant say for sure how folks will interact between mix racial relationships as I haven't seen any actually here. The east end would probably be more open and accepting than other parts of the city and suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh