Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 06:50 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Plus, the bus ride alone is 20 minutes when it's a 5 minute drive in the car.
^ This. People on this sub-forum love to promote the bus whenever possible as being the best thing since sliced bread, but with rare exception (i.e. the East Busway from the East End to Downtown) it's always MUCH quicker to drive around here to your destinations. Considering how many of my deliveries have been delayed by buses "blocking the box" Downtown I can't say I have a very favorable opinion of buses these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Considering how many of my deliveries have been delayed by buses "blocking the box" Downtown I can't say I have a very favorable opinion of buses these days.

Streetcars on the city streets in town were worse than buses at this. They have to stick to the tracks which gives them less maneuverability when getting around poorly parked cars or broken down motorists/ other streetcars.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:54 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,973,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
^ This. People on this sub-forum love to promote the bus whenever possible as being the best thing since sliced bread, but with rare exception (i.e. the East Busway from the East End to Downtown) it's always MUCH quicker to drive around here to your destinations. Considering how many of my deliveries have been delayed by buses "blocking the box" Downtown I can't say I have a very favorable opinion of buses these days.
"Rare exception" is pushing it a bit, but overall you're right that driving is usually faster. It's not just about speed, but about less stress and saving money vs driving and parking. In OP's case though, I do think driving is the best option for her since the VA is not particularly accessible from most places by bus without a transfer or decent walk up hill. She also might prefer to drive her son to and from school.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:04 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,973,922 times
Alondra, I'll offer my 2 cents regarding race in Pittsburgh. I think it's admirable that you are so concerned about how your family might be treated, but I hope that the concern winds up being for naught. I don't have a child of my own, so I can't speak to that at all, but I have been in an interracial relationship for 7 years now, living together for most of them, with literally zero issues. I'm white and like your son my girlfriend is mixed but looks more black. There's never been so much as a negative nor a positive remark about it, which is how I think it should be: a non issue. I can't provide any guarantees about how you guys will be treated, but I'm optimistic about it. That said, we've never lived in a 95% black area like the Hill, so it's certainly possible you'd be treated differently there, but I don't have any particular reason to warn you away from it so long as you're okay being the minority in a poor area.

Also, will you be able to visit Pittsburgh before selecting an apartment? Seeing the hills in person should really help your decision on how you want to commute and which neighborhoods you want to live in. You don't want to rent a place on a steep hill and then feel trapped in your house because it's difficult to walk.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:41 PM

59 posts, read 113,233 times
I agree with a previous poster that the racial concerns would probably be much lower/non-existent in the East End. There are LOTS of mixed-race families. Lots.

Also, I would echo suggestions for Morningside, Highland Park, and Bloomfield (all in the East End). All are pretty close to Oakland, more affordable, safe, and relatively flat. I'm pretty sure there are buses that go from those neighborhoods into Oakland, but I'm not sure if any go to the top of the hill where the VA is. If not, the VA likely will offer you parking and all of those locations offer a fairly short commute. I am relatively young and very fit and do the walk from Fifth/Forbes (where most bus routes into Oakland drop off) up to the VA on a regular basis and even with the escalator through the Peterson Center, it's strenuous.

good luck.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 PM

7 posts, read 7,165 times
Default Thanks all

I am really glad that all of you have responded with great input and I will be checking out the areas next month on a visit to Pitts.

ferraris: I agree race should be a non issue and I never really had any problems overseas, but have had some remarks in the states. I guess I worry more for my son because of his "disabilities" as he only communicates via sign language. I am grateful he can do so though. He would never be without me besides at school because he is still very young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh