Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Since people have been complaining about how this forum has gone off track lately, I thought it would be cool to have a "back to basics" thread. So show some love to neighborhoods which don't normally get much discussion.

My own nominations.

Morningside: Easily the most forgotten neighborhood in the East End. I can't say I'm a big fan of its "bungalow belt" architecture, but the streets are well laid out, the neighborhood is functional, and it has a small business district with potential. You can still find houses relatively cheap by East End standards here as well.

Oakwood: A mini Highland Park in the West End that essentially no one knows about. Minus lacking rowhouses, you can find examples of virtually all of Pittsburgh's housing styles within one square mile.

Sugar Top: A historic, safe, and largely intact neighborhood completely ignored by most of the city due to being full of black people. Most people presume it's a bombed-out mess like the rest of the Hill District unless they accidentally end up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
I think Morningside gets a lot of love but not from people who frequent this forum. Reason being that everyone one here wants a walkable neighborhood and "decent" city schools. Morningside business district is lousy and the school situation is worse than (South) Squirrel Hill or Greenfield, two neighborhoods which sort of overlap Morningside price wise. Friends lived their for a decade and like it but weren't happy with the schools situation.

Duquesne Heights/Mt. Washington also doesn't get much love.

Where is Oakwood?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I think Morningside gets a lot of love but not from people who frequent this forum. Reason being that everyone one here wants a walkable neighborhood and "decent" city schools. Morningside business district is lousy and the school situation is worse than (South) Squirrel Hill or Greenfield, two neighborhoods which sort of overlap Morningside price wise. Friends lived their for a decade and like it but weren't happy with the schools situation.
Morningside actually has the highest proportion of white children of any neighborhood in the Upper East End. Admittedly this might be in part because it's such an unpopular neighborhood for students or early 20s professionals to live in. But clearly minus the local schools issues a lot of locals still think it's quite family friendly.

Quote:
Duquesne Heights/Mt. Washington also doesn't get much love.
True enough, at least on this forum. In general I think those places tend to be overhyped more though, insofar as they don't live up to the reputation of Grandview. Mediocre business districts, houses generally in not very good condition, etc.

Quote:
Where is Oakwood?

Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
True enough, at least on this forum. In general I think those places tend to be overhyped more though, insofar as they don't live up to the reputation of Grandview. Mediocre business districts, houses generally in not very good condition, etc.
the problem here is that "mt washington" is mostly looked at as a tourist area and restaurant row, which is not a young professional area or vibe. The shiloh/virginia district portion is doing quite well though with lots of younger clientele and a pretty good nightlife scene. It has all the basics one would need within walking distance and is a quick commute to all areas of the city. It will never be the east end, but for what it is, I feel its somewhat underrated.

morningside is not really a core east end neighborhood. its an ok family area, but its not a central, highly walkable area like most people who want "east end" are looking for. Nothing really wrong with it, but nothing really exciting or great either.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
Oakwood goes largely unknown because of the limited points of entry. It exists almost entirely on a hillside surrounded on three sides by the valley containing Bell's Run. There are a few streets leading into Oakwood from Noblestown along with Oakwood Ave from Crafton. Most people would assume its part of Crafton.

I'd also put a mention in for Ridgemont. It tends to have a new housing stock (40s and 50s) with larger yards and some great city views.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
the problem here is that "mt washington" is mostly looked at as a tourist area and restaurant row, which is not a young professional area or vibe. The shiloh/virginia district portion is doing quite well though with lots of younger clientele and a pretty good nightlife scene. It has all the basics one would need within walking distance and is a quick commute to all areas of the city. It will never be the east end, but for what it is, I feel its somewhat underrated.
I know that land speculators have been holding onto large areas near Grandview (and holding back development) but it must be remembered that as the crow flies, Mount Washington is closer to Downtown than any surviving residential neighborhood. The Monongahela incline goes directly to the T as well, making it easy to get downtown. There's really no reason why it shouldn't be one of the most desirable areas in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
morningside is not really a core east end neighborhood. its an ok family area, but its not a central, highly walkable area like most people who want "east end" are looking for. Nothing really wrong with it, but nothing really exciting or great either.
I'd dispute the core East End thing, given it directly abuts Highland Park and East Liberty. Due to topography it does have few links with other neighborhoods except at its south end however. Technically you can get into the neighborhood from Greenwood Avenue and Baker Street, but both are pretty steep/isolated streets, and unlikely to be chanced upon by most people.

Regardless, I'm not sure it's unappreciated in general, just probably the single most forgotten majority white neighborhood in the East End. Even Stanton Heights is better known, as it's postwar architecture stands out for the East End.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:24 AM

654 posts, read 945,148 times
Unappreciated are many North Side neighborhoods, specifically Troy Hill, Spring Hill, Deutschtown (both East and West), and Brighton Heights. Troy Hill and Spring Hill are very livable: they're affordable and fairly safe to safe, and offer decent to nice housing stock. Also, both have nice views. Deutschtown, both sides, are pretty decent places to live, if currently rundown on the east side, and will continue to see improvement due to a fantastic location, walkability, and historic housing stock. Brighton Heights offers some truly grand homes, due to being one of the places where the elite from Manchester and Allegheny West relocated to around the turn of the century, and thus is a pretty cool neighborhood. Its location is good, it's affordable, it's not dangerous, and it gives more of a suburban impression, for those who like that. All of those neighborhoods seem unappreciated to me; people seem to focus too much on the East End, on places like Shadyside, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Oakland, etc.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:28 AM

252 posts, read 348,237 times
I second Ridgemont. If you don't mind driving everywhere, it's a nice, quiet neighborhood just minutes from downtown that's quite affordable too.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,163,995 times
Within the East End I don't feel like Greenfield gets much love. The housing stock is old but usually well-maintained (if in need of updates). The hills can be a pain but they provide great views and free exercise! Plus Hough's is a friendly place to hang out.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grep View Post
I second Ridgemont. If you don't mind driving everywhere, it's a nice, quiet neighborhood just minutes from downtown that's quite affordable too.
Right. And it could become even more desirable depending on what happens to Parkway Center Mall (I'm hoping for a Target and a Market District). Even if Parkway Center becomes busy again, the neighborhood is safe since the only access is via Greentree Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh