Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Agreed.

Fury Conventions > Political Conventions

Conventions of urologists, petroleum engineers and labor bosses are even better. People with real cash and looking for a good time are what is needed to really help the economy, not pampered VIP's that require excessive security precautions and prevent other economic activity in town from happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:39 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Conventions of urologists, petroleum engineers and labor bosses are even better. People with real cash and looking for a good time are what is needed to really help the economy, not pampered VIP's that require excessive security precautions and prevent other economic activity in town from happening.
Bingo! I experienced this first hand. I worked as a bellman at one of the top hotels Downtown during the G20 Summit. We handled all of the dignitaries luggage but never saw the dignitaries. We worked our butts off for four days. They informed us that no money was going to be exchanged(tips) but we would be taken care of after the summit. The hotel was given $3 million by the Federal Government. They gave the bellman $100.00 each. We should have gotten ten times as much and would have if we had our normal clientele. It was a joke and did nothing for the working man, only the big shots. I_Like_Spam knows what he's talking about.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
Bingo! I experienced this first hand. I worked as a bellman at one of the top hotels Downtown during the G20 Summit. .

I worked as a cabdriver in the 90's, I saw the types who wanted to go places and do things. Getting people in town with money helps to fill the fancy restaurants and niteclubs, lower profiled people with money are the ones ready to cut loose. And if they can write it off as a business expense in their medical practice, so much the better.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:40 AM

632 posts, read 853,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
While I disagree that Pittsburgh was properly equipped to handle G-20, a major party convention is small enough (and doesn't attract anywhere near the same amount of opposition) that PGH could probably host one without incident.
These conventions typically attract large numbers of protesters.
Nothing like Chicago 1968, but they do pose a challenge.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:44 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
I wonder if people in Cleveland, one of the poorest big cities in the country, are asking themselves how the city/county/businesses/foundations came up with the $25 or $50 million or whatever it is to host something like this when whole sections have fallen apart? I'm glad that we pulled out for the Democratic convention consideration because we have more important issues to address before we go after something like this.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
These conventions typically attract large numbers of protesters.
Nothing like Chicago 1968, but they do pose a challenge.
Right, but still, nowhere near G-20 levels.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:42 PM

632 posts, read 853,610 times
The protests could be even larger than the G-20 depending on whatever political particulars
are occurring at that time. They would just be more tightly focused on domestic issues.

I know at all recent conventions a very large and tight security perimeter was drawn around the convention hall. When you consider how many elected officials, including the sitting Vice-President and President would be attending, the security challenge may be every bit as tough.

My guess is they'd have to cordon off all of Downtown Pittsburgh again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh