Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:17 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
My question is why don't Cincy, St. Louis, and Buffalo receive the same positive press. Those cities have good stuff going on all the time, too.
Putting underdog city on some stupid list = easy page views and social media reach

Everyone roots for the underdog. There has been countless, "remember when this place was a hell hole articles" released over and over and over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 06:17 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
My question is why don't Cincy, St. Louis, and Buffalo receive the same positive press. Those cities have good stuff going on all the time, too.
Too many black people.

Sadly, I'm not joking.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:22 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It's the east/west nature of development in the early years of the United States. The Great Lakes cities have a built environment similar to New England cities, with lots of wood frames, detached houses, and abundant setback from the streets. On the other hand, the inland river cities have a built environment similar to the Mid-Atlantic coast, with lots of bricks, attached rowhouses, and little or no setback from the streets.

In other words, the old built environments of Boston, Providence, Hartford, the northern half of the New York metropolitan area, Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago and Milwaukee are pretty similar to each other, and the old built environments of the southern half of the New York metropolitan area, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis and St. Louis are similar to each other.
I wish more Americans understood the actual cultural settlement patterns of this country, instead of the geographically simple, yet culturally inaccurate designations of "Northeast, Midwest, South, and West."

Despite a couple of serious flaws, "American Nations" by Colin Woodsworth should be required reading in high school geography.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:45 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Too many black people.

Sadly, I'm not joking.
To many black people is the reason why my son and I take urban tours. We take early summer trips to black cities. We use public transportation to ensure that we get a true feel of the city. Most of my family that moved to larger and blacker metros live in the suburbs. Our last trip to Washington DC included a stay in a hostel with a tour of Howard University. While in Baltimore we toured the Great Blacks in Wax museum. Our Cleveland adventure included a tour of the Hank Willis Thomas exhibit at the Cleveland Museum of Art. This summer my son and I will tour Bed Stuy and Harlem and hopefully tour the Apolo Theater and Harlem Heights.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:43 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
To many black people is the reason why my son and I take urban tours. We take early summer trips to black cities. We use public transportation to ensure that we get a true feel of the city. Most of my family that moved to larger and blacker metros live in the suburbs. Our last trip to Washington DC included a stay in a hostel with a tour of Howard University. While in Baltimore we toured the Great Blacks in Wax museum. Our Cleveland adventure included a tour of the Hank Willis Thomas exhibit at the Cleveland Museum of Art. This summer my son and I will tour Bed Stuy and Harlem and hopefully tour the Apolo Theater and Harlem Heights.
I read an article last year which said if you look at most of the cities which are trendy these days (Portland, San Francisco, Austin, Minneapolis, Boston, NYC, etc) one thing they all have in common is an unusually low percentage of black people. Pittsburgh fits into this trend - it's by far the whitest rust-belt city - only around a quarter black, when most other rust-belt cities are at least 40% black, and the few which aren't still have more blacks than non-Hispanic whites.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I read an article last year which said if you look at most of the cities which are trendy these days (Portland, San Francisco, Austin, Minneapolis, Boston, NYC, etc) one thing they all have in common is an unusually low percentage of black people. Pittsburgh fits into this trend - it's by far the whitest rust-belt city - only around a quarter black, when most other rust-belt cities are at least 40% black, and the few which aren't still have more blacks than non-Hispanic whites.
NYC has a low percentage of black people but the number of black and blatino residents outnumber most black cities. You can get the black cultural experience in NYC. Boston is on my list of cities to visit as well. Similar to Pittsburgh, Boston has a wealth of black history and has a hidden black middle class. Boston has a black history walking tour in downtown. Im also interested in seeing the parklets that replaced the above grade highway that snaked through the city.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:08 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
NYC has a low percentage of black people but the number of black and blatino residents outnumber most black cities. You can get the black cultural experience in NYC. Boston is on my list of cities to visit as well. Similar to Pittsburgh, Boston has a wealth of black history and has a hidden black middle class. Boston has a black history walking tour in downtown. Im also interested in seeing the parklets that replaced the above grade highway that snaked through the city.
Boston is well worth the trip. I'd suggest hitting Providence while you're up there as well. Very nice mid sized city.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Boston is well worth the trip. I'd suggest hitting Providence while you're up there as well. Very nice mid sized city.
Thanks. I can appreciate all older cities.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
Boston Photo Gallery by step2me at pbase.com

Old 03-03-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Nice pics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh