Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 07:46 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,013 times

Advertisements

I worked in Cranberry and lived on Mt Washington. Driving up there was never an issue (I took Parkway North). The homebound commute was either 25 minutes or an hour+ depending on the exit from the crosstown to the Liberty Bridge. That exit was a mess and never made the radio traffic reports--a real "hidden gem" of Pittsburgh traffic problems.

Still, I really liked living up there with the exception of the maintenance on the hilly roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 07:54 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
I think the Northside is the best location for commuting and I also think it has what you are looking for.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,768,878 times
If you like condo living, try downtown - it will give you a nice offset to your suburban workplaces, and if you get different jobs elsewhere in the region, you'd probably still have decent commutes (maybe even walk to work). Although I'm not sure if any places downtown offer their own grassy courtyards where you could take your dog, maybe someone else knows about that.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:58 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
I think you have to be willing to sacrifice a little on the commute end or sacrifice a little of the urban lifestyle. The problem isn't so much the commute to Cranberry but the commute to Southpointe because the tunnel comes into play. To avoid this you would want to live close to where 79 intersects with 65.

Also, let's face it the War Streets is not the East End. IMO the real perk to the War Streets is being able to walk to work downtown but since you don't work downtown it isn't a benefit to you. Same thing for Mount Washington. If you don't want to sacrifice the urban lifestyle just stay in the East End and you both will have a rough commute. If you move to the War Streets, for example, only one of you will have a rough commute. Lawrenceville wouldn't be bad. You could take 31st bridge to 28 and then head north of south.

If you are willing to sacrifice the urban lifestyle you could live along 65. Ben Avon and Bellvue are both older burbs with sidewalks. Bellvue has a business district. Ben Avon does not. Sewickley is great town.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:23 PM

654 posts, read 944,669 times
Consider Sewickley. The borough has history, awesome architecture, walkability, a charming business district offering many shops and restaurants, and plenty of diversity. The Victorian- and Edwardian-era architecture is so well preserved, it's really quite something. There are also several nice parks. If you want more of a bucolic feel, look into neighboring Edgeworth. It's serene, relaxing, and so amazingly beautiful. The architecture is mostly very stately Edwardian-era, the streets are lined with ancient trees, and the entire borough is very leafy and completely unspoiled. It's nicer than Fox Chapel and only one step down from Sewickley Heights. Although Edgeworth doesn't have a business district, it's close enough to Sewickley's to be walkable, and there are sidewalks in both boroughs.

Also, Ben Avon is very nice, sort of like a smaller Sewickley without a business district. Ben Avon is a beautiful borough, a very historic place where the mill management built their summer homes (much like Glen Osborne, Sewickley, Sewickley Heights, and Edgeworth), where you'll find tree-lined streets and many grand turn-of-the-century homes (and also some cute smaller homes). It's very similar to Glen Osborne or Sewickley. Even though it doesn't have its own business district, it's fairly close to the Bellevue/Avalon business district to make walking possible, especially if you're ambitious.

Last edited by The King of Um; 02-28-2014 at 05:45 PM..

Old 03-05-2014, 06:06 AM

9 posts, read 15,449 times
Have you considered Greentree? It's right on th border of the city, but just far enough out of town that you'll have pretty quick access to 79.

Or for an even better commute Carnegie is a great place to live if you like having a city feel but with much less traffic. And 79 runs through Carnegie so you can hop on it in 5 minutes.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:39 AM

145 posts, read 182,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
I worked in Cranberry and lived on Mt Washington. Driving up there was never an issue (I took Parkway North). The homebound commute was either 25 minutes or an hour+ depending on the exit from the crosstown to the Liberty Bridge. That exit was a mess and never made the radio traffic reports--a real "hidden gem" of Pittsburgh traffic problems.

Still, I really liked living up there with the exception of the maintenance on the hilly roads.
When I used to come down Bigelow and try to get to the Liberty Bridge, if that interchange was backed up I would exit at 7th Ave and take Washington Place to Center to Sixth and get on the bridge that way. It would only take 5-6 minutes even on the worst days...not sure if that's a viable way to go if you are coming from the Veteran's Bridge as I have never done it from there.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:57 AM

146 posts, read 215,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Lawrenceville wouldn't be bad. You could take 31st bridge to 28 and then head north of south.
The commute to 79 is not bad from Lawrenceville. On the days when I have to drive to Morgantown, I take the 40th St. bridge to 28. Leaving early (6:15 or earlier), there is very little traffic either on 28 or in the tunnel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh