Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:27 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,098,459 times

Advertisements

Rather glad this storm spared us. I was driving home from the pens game in Chicago today and the drive would ha e been a nightmare if what the models said earlier for this storm came true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,815,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
you know, I have some qualms about Pittsburgh, but ive never been so anti a city like him and zman are for this city, or SCR is for the dc area. I see the good and bad of them, but PGH and zman need to find careers outside this city and Get out.
« First

The economy has many people stuck in places they no longer want live, but they can't find jobs in the areas that they want to relocate to. Not everyone prints their entire life story in City-Data, so you may just be getting a snapshot. I have a nephew who wants to move to Altanta, and there's R.N. from my nursing school cohort who is trying to move to TX, and neither has found a job in his/her field yet. That kind of makes it difficult to relocate, like if you don't have a large bankroll, you have loan payments to make, and you have no family in the area to give you a place to live or at least a local address to claim on job apps. There's a whole "I only hire locally" mentality with today's employers, because none of them offer relocation assistance, and most don't even want to bother with a candidate who has to drive or fly in for an interview. I'm trying to ship myself the heck outta provincial familyland up here, and have actually had a recruiter tell me she called my cell phone, but hung up when she realized it was out of state (I called her number back, and that's what she said.) Different job, I drove to a group interview in Cleveland, and it wasn't even snowing for gosh sakes, and it's less than a 2hr drive, a piece of cake, no big deal. And I was the only candidate there who was not already living in Cleveland or its suburbs. How weird is that. I think the movers & shakers all went to the South or Phoenix or Colorado or somewhere, but didn't stay here, LOL.

Not much snow here, this round. Overall, I think Pittsburgh's climate is on the mild side, at least compared to Crawford and Erie counties and places like Buffalo. I don't mind cloudy days at all because they are easier on my eyes. Since this fall/winter season started about 4 weeks early and we are usually done with the big-blast winters by mid-March, I am predicting that the big snows are now over with for this year.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:21 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,684,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
The economy has many people stuck in places they no longer want live, but they can't find jobs in the areas that they want to relocate to.
Tell me about it. If I could have a decent career in Asheville I would have moved there like yesterday.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:03 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,775,988 times
The city has done a pathetic job with the snow this time. Ice is everywhere, because they waited so long to plow and salt the roads. Was out in Castle Shannon, and the roads are clear and dry. Can't blame Luke either.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:05 AM

44,912 posts, read 59,905,934 times
How much did you guys end up getting?

We're in the middle of the snow here, predictions up to a foot for my area. We had sleet/ice from about 2AM until 5:30 or so then it changed over to all snow. The kicker is the lows tonight are down to about 5 above, which will lock everything up.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:11 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,538,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How much did you guys end up getting?

We're in the middle of the snow here, predictions up to a foot for my area. We had sleet/ice from about 2AM until 5:30 or so then it changed over to all snow. The kicker is the lows tonight are down to about 5 above, which will lock everything up.
We got squat really, well, up north we got about 2". The city may have gotten a hair more, like around The winter storm warning was cancelled way early. The weather system sunk farther south.

Low here tonight should be about 0.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,684,892 times
I feel like I should just copy and paste this every time the topic comes up:

The roads (both main and side streets ) in the hilltop neighborhoods looked like sh*t.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:29 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,103,329 times
I'm always surprised how well my neighborhood is treated, but then I get to work this morning and am shocked by the conditions in Oakland, which one would expect to be much better. I was almost in an accident in front of the Carnegie Museums because of ice, and Forbes from Bellefield to past the CMU campus was a mess.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:33 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,774,833 times
I was in the East End during the snow and after and the roads were fine. Sure they were ruts of clear, but who cares? To me that is good enough and it slows people down, which is a good thing. There wasn't really enough snow to justify spending TONS of money trying to get them perfect. Doing that takes too much money and it is no needed.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:36 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,525,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I was in the East End during the snow and after and the roads were fine. Sure they were ruts of clear, but who cares? To me that is good enough and it slows people down, which is a good thing. There wasn't really enough snow to justify spending TONS of money trying to get them perfect. Doing that takes too much money and it is no needed.
I agree. It was three inches of snow. It was a bit slick in places on Sunday, but it was never undriveable with reasonable care and as soon as it stopped falling, the plows were running down my street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh