Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:29 AM

13 posts, read 15,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Public transit to downtown is pretty solid, especially from the sorts of walkable areas she wants to live in.

Elle, when you say you have a transfer to the "Downtown area", what exactly do you mean? Are you within the Golden Triangle itself?

Sorry What I meant was that I will be working in the downtown area and was hoping to be close to there

what is the golden triangle ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 08:35 AM

912 posts, read 1,732,958 times
The Golden Triangle is the actual downtown of Pittsburgh.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Um View Post
If you're interested in nice boroughs, convenient to Downtown, where your child can get a good education, and where you'll also have access to public transport, consider Emsworth, Ben Avon, and Sewickley. Emsworth, a very nice middle class suburb that's also quite affordable, is in the Avonworth School District, which is very highly regarded. Ben Avon is quite nice, although more expensive than Emsworth, and is in the same district. Emsworth and Ben Avon don't have business districts of their own, but they're close enough to the Bellevue/Avalon business district to make for convenience. Sewickley, the "Queen of the Suburbs," is the finest suburb in the Pittsburgh region, without question--but for the most part, it's very expensive. It's walkable and has a very nice business district. Glen Osborne, Sewickley, Edgeworth, Leetsdale, and several other boroughs in the area are in the Quaker Valley School District, said to be the best in the region. In fact, the district is so highly regarded that many people insist that a Quaker Valley education is on par with Sewickley Academy, an old and very expensive private school in the area where the elite send their children.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give me all this info I have printed and will be looking them up.

Many thanks I have not heard of any of these towns and I have not heard of Quaker Valley is that far from the downtown area ? I am hoping to keep my commute as short as possible and this sounds great

Old 03-06-2014, 08:37 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle74 View Post
Sorry What I meant was that I will be working in the downtown area and was hoping to be close to there

what is the golden triangle ?
Sorry, the "Golden Triangle" is just another name for downtown. Basically the area between Point State Park and Interstate 579 (look on a map and you'll see the triangle it refers to). Is your job inside that area? Or just nearby? If you're a mile or two outside of downtown for example, your transit options change quite a bit.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
The Golden Triangle is the actual downtown of Pittsburgh.

Got it Thanks I don't know why but I find it confusing when driving around LOL

Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Sorry, the "Golden Triangle" is just another name for downtown. Basically the area between Point State Park and Interstate 579 (look on a map and you'll see the triangle it refers to). Is your job inside that area? Or just nearby? If you're a mile or two outside of downtown for example, your transit options change quite a bit.

I Will be working downtown one Mellon center not sure where that fits in the triangle

Old 03-06-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastanug View Post
Bellevue should work fine for you. Mt. Lebanon is nice, but it can be a little bit pricey. You'll also be pleased to know that Pittsburgh will offer quite the smorgasbord in terms of men who will want to date you, despite the fact that you're a single mother, so be sure to get your pix up on POF and OKcupid before you move here, sister! Unlike other cities where men cruelly overlook single moms, you'll be happy to discover that you'll have men fighting over you here in Pittsburgh!

Tell your husband I said "thank you" for his service to our country, and enjoy your new city!

Ex Husband (lol) will have his 20 in the next four years and thanks

I have not thought of that but thanks for the Heads up. your funny

Old 03-06-2014, 08:46 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
I Will be working downtown one Mellon center not sure where that fits in the triangle
On the map above, it is just under the words "6th Ave".

Old 03-06-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
On the map above, it is just under the words "6th Ave".

yes thanks

Old 03-06-2014, 09:08 AM

654 posts, read 945,148 times
Quote:
I would like to thank you for taking the time to give me all this info I have printed and will be looking them up.

Many thanks I have not heard of any of these towns and I have not heard of Quaker Valley is that far from the downtown area ? I am hoping to keep my commute as short as possible and this sounds great
You're very welcome. The boroughs in the Quaker Valley School District (i.e., Glen Osborne, Sewickley, Sewickley Heights, Edgeworth, Leetsdale, Leet Township, Bell Acres) are around 11-15 miles from Downtown along Route 65, a highway traveling the Ohio River. So the commute shouldn't be bad at all for you. You mentioned a budget of $1,300. You should be able to find something modest to rent in Sewickley village for that amount. Rent is much cheaper in Leetsdale, but the place is in decline, except for the very eastern part near Edgeworth.

By the way, if you choose to pass on Sewickley, seriously look into Emsworth and Ben Avon, because those boroughs are in a much better school district (Avonworth) than Bellevue and Avalon.

Also, all of these areas are quite beautiful. The Sewickley area boasts some of the prettiest scenery and architecture in the state. Ben Avon is very similar. Since you're from NYC, you might be familiar with Locust Valley. The Sewickley area has a very similar feel.

Last edited by The King of Um; 03-06-2014 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh