Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 03:48 PM

13 posts, read 15,643 times

Advertisements

I am a single Mom Living in NYC with my daughter

This Year my daughters father who is in Military will be transferred to the area so I decided to follow since I think it would be best for Our daughter to have both her parents with her

I have been looking at many different Places but not really sure I want her to go to a good school district and have been looking in the Mt Lebanon area I hear and have also read that the schools there are pretty great
I have already been given a transfer so I will be working in the Downtown area

We will be renting a place for now I am hoping to be close to public transportation and able to walk to shops restaurants Etc. Also public transportation would be a plus as I don't think I would want to drive in everyday the traffic seems to be like New York

I was also looking at Bellevue I know its on the other side of downtown but I also liked that area as well we will be there in June and hoping to get as much info as Possible as far as good places to Live and area schools she will be going into 3rd grade .

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 04:55 PM

6,595 posts, read 8,907,835 times
Will you be able to visit at all before making a decision?

What is your budget? Both Mt. Lebo and Bellevue fit the bill from what you've described, but Bellevue will be much cheaper (Mt. Lebo schools are considered better, but both districts should be fine).

Do you want to rent a house or an apartment?

Old 03-05-2014, 07:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,081,749 times
You also need to rachet down your public transportation expectations. Pittsburgh ain't NYC.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:48 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,804,425 times
Traffic is a cake walk compared to NYC, believe me. What about Bethel Park? It's not really walkable, but def cheaper than Mt. Leb and the schools are pretty good and it is a nice middle class area to raise a kid. You are also close to the "T" with reliable access to downtown.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:58 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,893,127 times
public transportation here is horrible compared to NYC. the closer to the city itself you are (east end for example) the easier to take it becomes. traffic isn't bad as nyc but there will be days when you drive you ask yourself "why in the heck is this taking so long?"

Old 03-05-2014, 08:03 PM

6,595 posts, read 8,907,835 times
Public transit to downtown is pretty solid, especially from the sorts of walkable areas she wants to live in.

Elle, when you say you have a transfer to the "Downtown area", what exactly do you mean? Are you within the Golden Triangle itself?

Old 03-05-2014, 08:31 PM

654 posts, read 939,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle74 View Post

This Year my daughters father who is in Military will be transferred to the area so I decided to follow since I think it would be best for Our daughter to have both her parents with her

I have been looking at many different Places but not really sure I want her to go to a good school district and have been looking in the Mt Lebanon area I hear and have also read that the schools there are pretty great

We will be renting a place for now I am hoping to be close to public transportation and able to walk to shops restaurants Etc. Also public transportation would be a plus as I don't think I would want to drive in everyday the traffic seems to be like New York

I was also looking at Bellevue I know its on the other side of downtown but I also liked that area as well we will be there in June and hoping to get as much info as Possible as far as good places to Live and area schools she will be going into 3rd grade .

Thanks
If you're interested in nice boroughs, convenient to Downtown, where your child can get a good education, and where you'll also have access to public transport, consider Emsworth, Ben Avon, and Sewickley. Emsworth, a very nice middle class suburb that's also quite affordable, is in the Avonworth School District, which is very highly regarded. Ben Avon is quite nice, although more expensive than Emsworth, and is in the same district. Emsworth and Ben Avon don't have business districts of their own, but they're close enough to the Bellevue/Avalon business district to make for convenience. Sewickley, the "Queen of the Suburbs," is the finest suburb in the Pittsburgh region, without question--but for the most part, it's very expensive. It's walkable and has a very nice business district. Glen Osborne, Sewickley, Edgeworth, Leetsdale, and several other boroughs in the area are in the Quaker Valley School District, said to be the best in the region. In fact, the district is so highly regarded that many people insist that a Quaker Valley education is on par with Sewickley Academy, an old and very expensive private school in the area where the elite send their children.

Last edited by The King of Um; 03-05-2014 at 08:45 PM..

Old 03-05-2014, 08:40 PM

13 posts, read 17,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle74 View Post

Thanks
Bellevue should work fine for you. Mt. Lebanon is nice, but it can be a little bit pricey. You'll also be pleased to know that Pittsburgh will offer quite the smorgasbord in terms of men who will want to date you, despite the fact that you're a single mother, so be sure to get your pix up on POF and OKcupid before you move here, sister! Unlike other cities where men cruelly overlook single moms, you'll be happy to discover that you'll have men fighting over you here in Pittsburgh!

Tell your husband I said "thank you" for his service to our country, and enjoy your new city!

Old 03-06-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Will you be able to visit at all before making a decision?

What is your budget? Both Mt. Lebo and Bellevue fit the bill from what you've described, but Bellevue will be much cheaper (Mt. Lebo schools are considered better, but both districts should be fine).

Do you want to rent a house or an apartment?

I Have visited the area several times already and I do like both area's Mt Lebo and Bellevue but that's why I am on here to see if there are other places as well that I should take a look at

Max for rent that I can pay would be around $1,300 I am looking to rent and would rather have an apartment

Thanks for the feedback

Old 03-06-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Traffic is a cake walk compared to NYC, believe me. What about Bethel Park? It's not really walkable, but def cheaper than Mt. Leb and the schools are pretty good and it is a nice middle class area to raise a kid. You are also close to the "T" with reliable access to downtown.

Where is Bethel Park ?

That also sounds great as it is near the T and I hear that is a good way to commute into the downtown area I will be working Downtown so that is something I will Def look into

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh