Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times

Advertisements

I lived in an apartment building on Centre until two months ago, and the large buildings on Centre, Melwood between Centre and Bayard, and N. Craig have a very high percentage of Asian students, may be 75-80%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 09:03 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I don't think the question is if there are things to do in Oakland, I think the question is are there more interesting things for the OP than in some other Pittsburgh neighborhoods. I think the answer is mostly no.

At their price range, they can easily afford to live in an okay one-bedroom in just about any neighborhood in the city. Why would they settle for something mediocre?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:19 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Yes I've lived there all 4 years of school. Grant it a couple of those years were on campus but I've lived in central and west Oakland. I am all too familiar with the "slumlords" and housing that barely, if even, passes city ordinance. Also worked part time off Craig and had many friends scattered throughout the region. Just because there's LuLu's Noodles off Craig and a large Asian pop. at CMU doesn't make it an Asian Mecca. Also, the area of North Oakland around Centre can get pretty sketchy. I would recommend living closer to Shadyside. The number of bars have decreased since then, but what has increased is the student population and bland retail stores. Crowded bars are the norm. A few decent coffee shops (national chains) and the proximity to Schenely Park and green space is a plus to a lot of people though.
Actually.... this is a fair assessment. I'm proud pghdude. I'm not saying every block is ideal for family life but there is a lot more to Oakland than Atwood's run down row houses.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I lived in an apartment building on Centre until two months ago, and the large buildings on Centre, Melwood between Centre and Bayard, and N. Craig have a very high percentage of Asian students, may be 75-80%
Yup. And for Pittsburgh its an Asian mecca.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
The most hip place would be speagles84's pad. He has the magical kool aid that makes you see unicorns, fairies, royality and priests at every turn in the burgh.
Which neighborhood do you live in? I'll stop recommending it because there must be a nonstop crap storm there.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:28 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Which neighborhood do you live in? I'll stop recommending it because there must be a nonstop crap storm there.
Lol. Allegheny west.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Lol. Allegheny west.
Hm. Interesting... can't believe today was the day I agreed with pghdude and you sound like the bigger troll now. Times are changing. What's the next PG article you are going to post in a thread that YAC is going to close? Allegheny west: rough times ahead for once affluent community. Or Cleveland: the next San Francisco?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:42 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Lol. Allegheny west.
I could have sworn you said Observatory Hill only a few weeks ago.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I could have sworn you said Observatory Hill only a few weeks ago.
Now that you mention it, I believe he did say observatory hill.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:11 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Hm. Interesting... can't believe today was the day I agreed with pghdude and you sound like the bigger troll now. Times are changing. What's the next PG article you are going to post in a thread that YAC is going to close? Allegheny west: rough times ahead for once affluent community. Or Cleveland: the next San Francisco?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh