Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,122 times

Advertisements

We're a young couple looking to live close to the city of Pittsburgh without paying downtown prices. I'd really like to find a cool young area with stuff like boutiques and coffee shops - interesting enough to keep me occupied (I work from home so I would go CRAZY too deep into the suburbs). Are there any suggestions of neighborhoods I should look at? It must be affordable, we need to stay under 1100 TOPS because we're both young and broke haha

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 09:53 PM

13 posts, read 17,343 times
Laweranceville.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsamper View Post
We're a young couple looking to live close to the city of Pittsburgh without paying downtown prices. I'd really like to find a cool young area with stuff like boutiques and coffee shops - interesting enough to keep me occupied (I work from home so I would go CRAZY too deep into the suburbs). Are there any suggestions of neighborhoods I should look at? It must be affordable, we need to stay under 1100 TOPS because we're both young and broke haha

Thanks!
20's I'm assuming? Try:

-Downtown (SOME(edit) still under $1,100 I believe)
-Oakland
-Southside
-Lawrenceville
-Mt. Washington

Old 03-05-2014, 10:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Add Friendship to the list.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:41 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Add Friendship to the list.
Friendship is a good neighborhood that's often overlooked because it doesn't have a busy commercial district, but it's still an easy walk to what's available on Liberty and Penn Aves and Baum Blvd. It's a good neighborhood if you want to be close to where the hangout spots are, but want to have some separation from them for a little bit more quiet. I'd also add Bloomfield if Friendship is getting mentioned too.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:29 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,911,011 times
Oakland? youll go nuts with the college kids. id say bloomfield/friendship/east liberty(closer to Stanton heights/morningside) or near the border of sq hill but in east liberty. easy bus access to all over the city that way

personally id avoid southside unless its near the works. keep away from the rowdy drunks and random violence, but i don't know how expensive its near the work.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:27 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
McCandless, it's a great 'hood.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:48 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,377,333 times
Edit: I did not read the op's post I thought we were listing off hip areas. A few of these areas are in your price range... Those affordable areas are labeled with an astrict.

Hip areas
West Deutchtown
Most of Central Northside
Allegheny West to some degree
*Troy Hill to some degree
Brighton Heights to some degree
*Student areas of Mt. Washington/Duquesne Heights
Southside
South Side Slopes to a lesser degree
*Parts of Beechview to a lesser degree
*Uptown to some degree
*Central Oakland/*parts of the other Oaklands
*Strip District
*Larwenceville
Highland Park
*Central East Liberty
*Garfield south of Broad St
*Bloomfield
*Friendship
the East End (SQ Hill, Shadyside, Point Breeze, *Regent Sq, Swisshelm Park & *most of Greenfield)
Edgewood Township to a lesser degree
'Little known' but the Avonworth suburb area allegedly has a lot of hipsters
the Sewickley area suburbs

Their not very hip but Mt. Lebon and the top outer suburbs can be somewhat hip if your young, middle class and have kids & their are many young families also living in your development.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:32 AM

912 posts, read 1,731,907 times
Southside and Lawrenceville are really your best options. You can easily find places in both neighborhoods for under $1,100. My girlfriend and I are in our 20s and live in the Southside. It's great. There are tons of bars, restaurants, coffee shops and shops in the neighborhood. Just don't live right on Carson Street. We did that when we first moved here in 2012 and it was way too loud. Now we live a block off Carson, and it's amazing what a difference it made. It's remarkably quiet, and we still have all the amenities right down the street.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:13 AM

288 posts, read 511,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
'Little known' but the Avonworth suburb area allegedly has a lot of hipsters
Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh