Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 AM

814 posts, read 1,149,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
But it works okay because the street wall is taller than Brookline.
Aesthetically, maybe. But it doesn't make it any more fun to have to cross that street if you're on foot. Maybe I (and SCR) are unusual for even giving much thought to this, but I just consider it a major detraction from a business district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 09:26 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,715,521 times
If you cross with the light in a cross walk like you're supposed to (lolpittsburgh) then the width of the street shouldn't matter. That's a weird complaint to me, I see it as a plus as a driver. In a city where roads are barely wide enough as it is (looking at you Route 51) a street with ample room is awesome in my book.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:26 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,914,913 times
I get the taller building thing, it looks nice. I don’t see them adding floors to these buildings for the purpose of changing the ratio of building height to street width, so it is what it is.

As for crossing the street, I do it everyday, and I may be crazy but I wait for the crosswalk signal and then make a go of it. Not really life threatening, or dangerous in any regard.

The problem may arise when people are in the crosswalks that are not at signals, which I am not sure there are any on the Blvd, or when people are jaywalking.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Aesthetically, maybe. But it doesn't make it any more fun to have to cross that street if you're on foot. Maybe I (and SCR) are unusual for even giving much thought to this, but I just consider it a major detraction from a business district.
It works better than you think, because drivers in Western Massachusetts will actually brake for pedestrians in a crosswalk. As in, if they see you waiting at the side of the road, they'll come to a full stop to let you pass.

Of course, occasionally you get drivers from outside the area who don't respect pedestrians. You're pretty much screwed then.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:44 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I get the taller building thing, it looks nice. I don’t see them adding floors to these buildings for the purpose of changing the ratio of building height to street width, so it is what it is.

As for crossing the street, I do it everyday, and I may be crazy but I wait for the crosswalk signal and then make a go of it. Not really life threatening, or dangerous in any regard.

The problem may arise when people are in the crosswalks that are not at signals, which I am not sure there are any on the Blvd, or when people are jaywalking.
It appears from Streetview that there are 6 crosswalks from Pioneer to Chelton; all but one have stop signals and pedestrian walk signals (though are they full red lights or green lights with walk signals?). I wonder how much business the north side of the street gets compared to the south(with diagonal parking)?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:57 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
It appears from Streetview that there are 6 crosswalks from Pioneer to Chelton; all but one have stop signals and pedestrian walk signals (though are they full red lights or green lights with walk signals?). I wonder how much business the north side of the street gets compared to the south(with diagonal parking)?

Most of the businesses are on the south side of the boulevard, the north side of the street has a lot of single family homes.

And many of the businesses on the north side of the street are auto based, the gas stations and the cogo's.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,009,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
If Brookline got desirable enough, I'm sure you'd begin to see developers buy the one-story storefronts and knock them down for higher-density commercial structures. Or maybe just buy a few houses on the north side of the street and build something there.

That said, that level of desirability would first require crazy property appreciation. Lawrenceville is only just getting to the point now where they'll demo buildings to build something denser. And given it's almost entirely detached single-family housing even one block off the Boulevard, there might never be the "walking density" needed for a much more active business district.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:13 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,914,913 times
Yea I don’t see that happening in anyone’s lifetime. I don’t even think that is anything anyone wants to see happen in Brookline. The LACK of density in the housing is what is a draw for most people. The area is designed for and people like the single family home atmosphere. I think the long term goal is to bring some stability to the business district and perhaps a few spots that would attract even more people from outside the neighborhood, but in the end I think the majority of the citizens want to keep that small town feel, or a suburb in the city type vibe.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
If you cross with the light in a cross walk like you're supposed to (lolpittsburgh) then the width of the street shouldn't matter. That's a weird complaint to me, I see it as a plus as a driver. In a city where roads are barely wide enough as it is (looking at you Route 51) a street with ample room is awesome in my book.
LOL, that's the way I see it, too. Guess it's a matter of different strokes for different folks and all that. To me, the wider streets are attractive because they're easier to drive to/park along, they tend to have bus stops, and (most importantly) they tend to attract more groupings of bigger stores, which is where I like to do a lot of my shopping. I like having a large grocery store, a drug store, a gift shop, a pet supply shop, a shoe store, a sporting goods shop, my bank, my optometrist, my dentist, etc. all lined up on the same block.

But, I'm also accustomed to wider streets--so that may account for why they don't bother me. I used to walk to work along a boulevard and thought nothing of crossing it to go to a store on the other side. I prefer walking to a crossing light or pedestrian tunnel to do this, but it's ok because the lights always seem to be where all the stores are, anyway. But, to each his own.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:35 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
I think crossing a street like Walnut or Carson feels more intimate and cohesive. It's not a major factor to me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh