Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 AM

129 posts, read 160,962 times

Advertisements

We live in the Cranberry area, and are thinking about sending our kid to private school.
We're deciding between two choices:
Providence Heights Alpha School and Aquinas Academy.

Both are relatively close to our house.
We've visited the schools, and liked them both.

We've seen several recommendations from folks on this forum for the Aquinas Academy, but not the Alpha School.
Was wondering if anyone here could comment on the quality of Alpha?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 04:51 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,421 times
Just a statement of fact; Aquinas has mandatory daily mass before the school day begins.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Aquinas is top notch and has an excellent reputation. I have never heard of the other school. I quickly researched it quickly and discovered it's the school at LaRoche College. I was aware there is an elementary school at LaRoche College, but I never heard anything good or bad about it. I simply knew one was there. I've never know anyone who sent children there, even people who live immediately near LaRoche, myself included. My children attended a different Catholic school.

My children played sports against children in Aquinas but not the LaRoche school. Further research indicates that's because the LaRoche school has limited sports compared to Aquinas. LaRoche school has "basketball, soccer, cross country (fall) and volleyball (fall)." Aquinas has those and field hockey, Lacrosse and Crew. (Crew is a big deal.) Along with intramural sports like "tennis, developmental soccer, and ultimate Frisbee." Aquinas' website also says there is a ski club that families participate. Aquinas has more extracurricular activities too.

It seems like Aquinas has much more to offer in many ways. The biggest draw to Aquinas is that it's college prep K-12.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:10 PM

However, the LaRoche school seems to be more liberal minded, with religion geared towards respecting all beliefs.

Most families seeking a Catholic school might be turned off by this, but I find it to be very desirable.

Quote:
Religion

Alpha's student body is composed of students from all religious denominations. As a Catholic School, religion is taught as part of the curriculum to all students. A critical attribute of our religious instruction is an emphasis on respect for all people, their beliefs and practices. Students have an opportunity to share with the class their beliefs and practices, noting both the similarities and the differences.

Providence Heights Alpha School - Curriculum

Old 02-17-2013, 06:26 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,421 times
So, you are suggesting that families that send their kids to Catholic school specifically seek out schools that teach intolerance? Catholic schools have always accepted and respected kids of all denominations.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
So, you are suggesting that families that send their kids to Catholic school specifically seek out schools that teach intolerance? Catholic schools have always accepted and respected kids of all denominations.
My children attended a Catholic school that taught intolerance. My children are only in their early 20s, just graduated a few years ago.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:04 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:

I don't think its particularly disrespectful to non-catholic children to have them attend mass, considering the fact it is a Catholic school. Certainly a lot of the Catholic schools that were operating when I was a kid -I'm 56- had it as part of the school day, I don't the graduates turned out intolerant for the most part.

If Catholicism was really that objectionable to the kids' parents for one reason or another that they didn't think the child should be exposed to Catholic masses, I doubt they would have chosen a Catholic school in the first place.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I don't think its particularly disrespectful to non-catholic children to have them attend mass, considering the fact it is a Catholic school. Certainly a lot of the Catholic schools that were operating when I was a kid -I'm 56- had it as part of the school day, I don't the graduates turned out intolerant for the most part.

If Catholicism was really that objectionable to the kids' parents for one reason or another that they didn't think the child should be exposed to Catholic masses, I doubt they would have chosen a Catholic school in the first place.
I'm not talking about mass and religion class. I'm talking about telling children their non-Catholic parents are going to Hell and they were illegitimate because their parents weren't married in the Catholic church. My children were upset by the things that were said because it hurt their friends' feelings. There was a lot of anti-Jewish stuff too. None of the families were Jewish, so it wasn't offensive personally, but it was unsettling from a wanting children to learn tolerance perspective. People did withdraw their children from the school, myself included. We didn't expect that type of intolerance from a Catholic School in this day and age. My husband experienced that crap in the 50s and 60s. (One of his parents was Catholic, the other wasn't. They weren't married in the Catholic church, but they raised my husband and his siblings Catholic.) While this mindset isn't the norm for today's Catholic schools, it does still exist in some of them. That's why I like that the LaRoche school is publicly announcing that it teaches tolerance. The LaRoche school won't be a crapshoot.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:37 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Especially if you can drain the trey and run the football. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
This varies greatly with each priest. For the most part in our region, I would say your statement is false. You are aware that Catholic teachings state that if a marriage wasn't performed in a Catholic church it isn't recognized? That in itself is intolerance. Baptized? Come on. IMHO, if you are not Catholic I wouldn't go to a Catholic school. I was brought up with a former Catholic parent and one that wasn't. I also deal with a lot of churches in business. It is best to speak plainly about this subject so those trying to understand reality are well informed. Hopes is spot on and sadly in some circumstances so is Copanut. If you are looking for tolerant folks you are certainly able to find them in other denominations. If you were married Catholic and enter a Presbyterian Church, your marriage would be recognized and so would your baptism. I think that right there says all that needs to be said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh