Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 07:32 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times

Advertisements

On the other side... Corbett has a primary challenger.

Corbett Gets A Republican Primary Challenger « CBS Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
On the other side... Corbett has a primary challenger.

Corbett Gets A Republican Primary Challenger « CBS Pittsburgh
I was happy until I clicked the link to see he is running against something good Corbett actually did (transportation bill)

Old 03-12-2014, 05:59 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
It's too early for me to be thinking about this. I'll pay more attention when they start eating their own. But as a first impression, Wolf seems like a nice guy who will get eaten alive and ultimately be ineffective.

Any political promises regarding education are just hooey unless said candidate comes out and declares s/he's detaching the state from federal education funding/regulation. Then and only then that person might get something done. Burn it down and rebuild it based on what today's real world needs are. Turn education into an economic engine instead of dumbing down to the LCD.

And while there are many who are PO'd about Corbett and fracking, to me, there was no more egregious example of Corbett being completely useless than the fact that he did absolutely nothing regarding the PALCB despite promises to get rid of it.

Old 03-12-2014, 06:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan14 View Post
..he's an old rich white man...
Does this mean that ALL rich white men are bad? What is your view of poor white men? Rich black men? Poor black men? Just wondering what that means is all.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Why are people so against Corbett? Sometimes I wonder if anyone in office will ever be popular again. The media loves to bash anyone in the public eye. Look at Obama's hatred that goes on. It is pretty wild and really borderline racist, but they do it to all races, so it is hard to point fingers.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:24 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Why are people so against Corbett? Sometimes I wonder if anyone in office will ever be popular again. The media loves to bash anyone in the public eye. Look at Obama's hatred that goes on. It is pretty wild and really borderline racist, but they do it to all races, so it is hard to point fingers.
Honestly, if you compare Tom Corbett to other Republican governors elected as part of the class of 2010, he's far more moderate (although not enough he would get my vote by a long shot).

I think the main issue with Corbett people have is he's totally politically tone deaf. He sees himself as a glorified county clerk with a job to do, not a politician, so he approaches every political question from the logic of "what solves problem X" not "what will make my agenda popular."

Thus his signature move as governor was to cut education spending, which is one of the most popular things government spending is used for in the state, and alienated a lot of moderate suburban voters. In contrast, unlike governors like Walker and Scott, he hasn't thrown any red meat to the base - there's not a single thing Corbett has done which would meet with their approval (unless you're really into fracking companies not paying any taxes), and he's actively pissed them off with the new transportation bill.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:29 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
He wants to plop an oil derrick onto my Park.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:33 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Honestly, if you compare Tom Corbett to other Republican governors elected as part of the class of 2010, he's far more moderate (although not enough he would get my vote by a long shot).

I think the main issue with Corbett people have is he's totally politically tone deaf. He sees himself as a glorified county clerk with a job to do, not a politician, so he approaches every political question from the logic of "what solves problem X" not "what will make my agenda popular."

Thus his signature move as governor was to cut education spending, which is one of the most popular things government spending is used for in the state, and alienated a lot of moderate suburban voters. In contrast, unlike governors like Walker and Scott, he hasn't thrown any red meat to the base - there's not a single thing Corbett has done which would meet with their approval (unless you're really into fracking companies not paying any taxes), and he's actively pissed them off with the new transportation bill.
As a Democrat, I've actually been pleasantly surprised with a few of Corbett's decisions. Of course... those very decisions (such as bare minimum transportation funding instead of letting infrastructure collapse) are what people on the right detest about Corbett. He's in a hopeless situation... Democrats just aren't gonna vote for him due to the "wild west" fracking push and education defunding and offensive statements on gay marriage... and Republicans hate the few sensible things he's done.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:09 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,097,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
As a Democrat, I've actually been pleasantly surprised with a few of Corbett's decisions. Of course... those very decisions (such as bare minimum transportation funding instead of letting infrastructure collapse) are what people on the right detest about Corbett. He's in a hopeless situation... Democrats just aren't gonna vote for him due to the "wild west" fracking push and education defunding and offensive statements on gay marriage... and Republicans hate the few sensible things he's done.
When both side dislike you, you're probably doing a reasonable job.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:16 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
When both side dislike you, you're probably doing a reasonable job.
Why? Compromise is sometimes needed in order to pass an agenda, but that doesn't mean it leads to good policy in and of itself. If anything (taking off my left-wing glasses for a second) it's more likely that each side is 100% right about certain (different) things, than there is some magical point in the middle between the two extremes which would lead to the best outcomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh