Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
So I understand why I don't support Corbett: he's a conservative Republican and I'm a Democrat who wishes the Democrats were more liberal. What I don't understand is why so many Republicans in PA obviously don't support him either. To my lefty eye he seems like he ticks off all the right boxes to qualify as a conservative: he's pro-life, anti-gay, anti-tax, pro gas and oil industry, anti-pollution regulation, anti-union, anti-public school, anti-ACA, etc.

So what is it? Why does he get so little support from his fellow Republicans?
Honestly Corbett, while an awful, ineffective governor, isn't that conservative compared to most of the rest of the class of '10. Walker (WI), Scott (FL), LePage (ME), and even "moderate" Snyder (MI) all have more conservative legislative records than he does in states with around the same political balance.

The only "conservative" issues he's consistent on are cutting funds for public education and ensuring Marcellus Shale fracking isn't taxed. Neither of these are "red meat" issues for the base of the party. He didn't really do anything of note to push through new abortion restrictions. He decided not to ask for a stay/appeal of the SSM ban being overturned. He hasn't attacked public employee unions, or pushed for PA to become Right to Work. The only two things that were passed since he was governor (aside from the budgets) that were "right wing" were Voter ID and gerrymandering. They were really more self-serving actions for the local Republican machine, and the latter was overturned anyway. Plus he raised gas taxes, and hasn't moved to cut any state taxes at all. If I were a serious conservative, I would be pretty mad.

Even on his two signature issues, education cuts and fracking, he talks mealymouthed and just says things like "economic realities require we do ___." That's Democratic framing. The hard right-wing base (who has the biggest qualms about him) want him to do things like publicly attack teachers unions like Chris Christie, or make fun of environmentalists. He's too above the fray (or tin-eared) to know he should do that.

IMHO Corbett isn't losing because of the issues though - he's losing because he's one of the most inept, bumbling politicians I've ever seen take the helm of a major state. If he went full Tea Party I think he would probably lose this year anyway, but have more of a legislative legacy. And he clearly could have marketed himself successfully as a semi-moderate (like Sandoval, Bransted, and Martinez) if he had an ounce of political skill. Thankfully for him, all he had to deal with in 2010 was Dan Onarato, but he's not so lucky this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 08:08 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,991,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
I know very little about this guy. His ads seem to be filled with pleasant generalities about improving education.
That all sounds very nice, but the devil is in the details. I would not want at Governor who started hiking a bunch of taxes (and yes....I know what Corbett just did to our gas tax) because right now PA is in a pretty good competitive position vis-a-vis our neighboring states.

I don't know about you but every time I go West or South I realize how expensive it is here in Pennsylvania. Everything seems to cost noticeably less in Ohio. PA is out of control. We need politicians who will fix it.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:29 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
So I understand why I don't support Corbett: he's a conservative Republican and I'm a Democrat who wishes the Democrats were more liberal. What I don't understand is why so many Republicans in PA obviously don't support him either. To my lefty eye he seems like he ticks off all the right boxes to qualify as a conservative: he's pro-life, anti-gay, anti-tax, pro gas and oil industry, anti-pollution regulation, anti-union, anti-public school, anti-ACA, etc.

So what is it? Why does he get so little support from his fellow Republicans?

Actually, Gov. Corbett isn't "anti-gay"- he has ordered gay marriage to not be challenged--and he isn't really "anti-ACA" either as he is working to push through a new medicaid program under ACA auspices to sell insurance to indigents.

Gov. Corbett is seen as a tad too moderate for many conservative voters, and they could be right- he's pretty much down in the polls although its still early. When all the votes are counted, its likely that the GOP is going to wish they went with a more conservative candidate in 2014.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:25 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
In my mind his main problem is that Corbett hadn't accomplished much of anything yet had party control over both houses of the legislature.

Wolf on the other hand hasn't said much of anything of substance yet & one thing that I disagree with (ending PA's flat income tax structure for individuals).

I remain very much undecided until I hear more substance from wolf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh