Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:07 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
That's the spirit! Glad to see you finally came to your senses!
Nah, being sarcastic. Olive Garden is too soulless for Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 12:30 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Nah, being sarcastic. Olive Garden is too soulless for Oakland.
What if the soulless Cranberries wanted to have a concert in Oakland? Would our heads explode?

Old 03-11-2014, 04:23 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
...the office building on N Craig, and the building that Tamarind is in are all designated as "SP, Specially Planned District"

I don't have time to read the whole chapter, and am certainly not knowledgeable, so if anyone wants to step in and interpret...
doo dah - that just means that since its not a typically sized lot within a developed area (houses to the left, a bank to the right, a church across the street), it is allowed to be used 'creatively' (for lack of a better term), with uses that may usually not be permitted, and with specifications that might not be to code but could be granted an exception. (specifications such as - amount of parking per sq. footage, amount of green space, etc.).

its like youre being told "have at it!". youd still need permits and all that, but because its SP, you might get away without abiding to all the 'rules'.

wegmans - no. heres why i think that isnt a good idea. it would have to be SMALLER. and without the mile long buffets (like the one in chantilly, VA!) its appeal would dull after a while. it will become a crappy store, and....then defunct. wegmans are great for the suburbs, where there is room. i think an olive garden might be good, but then wouldnt that hurt a host of other, smaller restaurants nearby?

what does the area need....with a parking lot, what does it REALLy need.

but of course - a night club/performance space. Carson Street North!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:38 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
As was said in the other thread, they've already acquired four run-down (but quite nice, with stone facade) houses on Centre. They don't own the brick one on the corner yet, nor do they own the "intercultural house" around the corner.

I'm hoping they acquire a few more things yet - maybe the office building at 249 N Craig and even the Tamarind building. I don't like to see demolition of historic structures, but if it has to happen, I'd like there to be a wide footprint for dense redevelopment.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:35 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
doo dah - that just means that since its not a typically sized lot within a developed area (houses to the left, a bank to the right, a church across the street), it is allowed to be used 'creatively' (for lack of a better term), with uses that may usually not be permitted, and with specifications that might not be to code but could be granted an exception. (specifications such as - amount of parking per sq. footage, amount of green space, etc.).

its like youre being told "have at it!". youd still need permits and all that, but because its SP, you might get away without abiding to all the 'rules'.

wegmans - no. heres why i think that isnt a good idea. it would have to be SMALLER. and without the mile long buffets (like the one in chantilly, VA!) its appeal would dull after a while. it will become a crappy store, and....then defunct. wegmans are great for the suburbs, where there is room. i think an olive garden might be good, but then wouldnt that hurt a host of other, smaller restaurants nearby?

what does the area need....with a parking lot, what does it REALLy need.

but of course - a night club/performance space. Carson Street North!
Thanks for this szug-bot - I just discovered the zoning map (when looking for how the former CVS parcel was zoned) and thought it was odd that the whole block of Centre and part of N Craig has the "Special" zoning. I wonder how long it has bene like that?

I was kidding about Wegman's

I don't think Olive Garden is a good fit - Chipotle & Qdoba, yes, but I don't think a casual dining restaurant is a good use of that parcel. Plus, it is zoned "Local Neighborhood Commercial", definition of which: "The LNC, Local Neighborhood Commercial District is intended to:
1.  Maintain the small scale and rich diversity of neighborhood-serving commercial districts;
2.  Promote and enhance the quality of life in adjacent residential areas; and
3.  Reduce the adverse impacts that are sometimes associated with commercial uses in order to promote compatibility with residential development."

Compared to the adjacent parcel on Baum "The UNC, Urban Neighborhood Commercial District is intended to:
1.  Serve a broader market than the immediate neighborhood;
2.  Allow a range of development while controlling impacts on the neighborhood adjacent to them;
3.  Ensure that new development fit within existing development patterns; and
4.  Reinforce qualities of the built environment, such as the continuity of storefronts and pedestrian-oriented streetscapes."

So interesting!
Hmmm...

Last edited by doo dah; 03-12-2014 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh