Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 05:00 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The civil service scoring system was devised by bureaucrats, and is therefore imperfect in determining who would make a good cop.

Having a bit of flexibility in choosing who to hire isn't that bad, and doesn't seem any more likely to bring subpar cops aboard.
The first point is dead on. The second is not. Limiting your applicants to those that will only have a city address is limiting the amount and choices to hire the best person for the job. Obviously some are not concerned with not having the best. Makes no sense, especially if you can have the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 07:31 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Great way to get a second rate force. Remember your point system the next time something goes awry.

I'd be more concerned with who does the better job to keep one safe, especially since not many have much trust in police as it is.
The courts have decided that the best (black) candidates were denied the opportunity to protect and serve. It has been proven that white applicants were chosen with more serious infractions than their black counterparts. The city admitted its short comings and is legally obligated to correct the system. Based on your response it appears that the police force should remain lilly white. That is some 1950s bs.

The distrust comes from jim crow policies such as this. A black officer with black children would be less likely to stereotype black males. A black officer with black children can recognize a true threat and bypass an innocent child walking to his grandmothers house.

Old 01-07-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The courts have decided that the best (black) candidates were denied the opportunity to protect and serve. It has been proven that white applicants were chosen with more serious infractions than their black counterparts. The city admitted its short comings and is legally obligated to correct the system. Based on your response it appears that the police force should remain lilly white. That is some 1950s bs.

The distrust comes from jim crow policies such as this. A black officer with black children would be less likely to stereotype black males. A black officer with black children can recognize a true threat and bypass an innocent child walking to his grandmothers house.
You should go back and read more carefully before playing the race card since I repeatedly said no job should be filled per skin color. In simpler form:

The best applicant should get the job.

The best applicant should get the job regardless of skin color.

The best applicant should get the job regardless of their address.

Last edited by erieguy; 01-07-2016 at 08:13 PM..

Old 01-07-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
You should go back and read more carefully before playing the race card since I repeatedly said no job should be filled per skin color. In simpler form:

The best applicant should get the job.

The best applicant should get the job regardless of skin color.

The best applicant should get the job regardless of their address.
The best applicants did not get the job. Race was definitely a factor and it has been proven. Allowing suburban applicants would further dilute the police racial makeup. No race card needed.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
The best applicants did not get the job. Race was definitely a factor and it has been proven. Allowing suburban applicants would further dilute the police racial makeup. No race card needed.
Again, the best applicant should get the job. Get out of the past. If a suburban applicant no matter what their race is chooses to move to the city then he/she can get the job. That will have zero to do with racial makeup. You want black officers whether they are the best applicant or not. That's discrimination and it's wrong. If they're the best applicant they should certainly be hired. If they're not then they shouldn't.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:24 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
I think an important job requirement for a police officer is to be able to form a relationship of trust and friendship with the residents on his beat, and not treat it as if he's an occupying force in a war zone.

I'm not saying that a white officer couldn't do this in a black neighborhood. But I do think that if you want to rebuild community-police relations in black Pittsburgh, more black officers would be a big help.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think an important job requirement for a police officer is to be able to form a relationship of trust and friendship with the residents on his beat, and not treat it as if he's an occupying force in a war zone.

I'm not saying that a white officer couldn't do this in a black neighborhood. But I do think that if you want to rebuild community-police relations in black Pittsburgh, more black officers would be a big help.
I don't care if every officer on the police force is black. If they're the best applicants for the job they should be hired...but hiring based on race is discrimination in every sense of the word.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Again, the best applicant should get the job. Get out of the past. If a suburban applicant chooses to move to the city then he/she can get the job. That will have zero to do with racial makeup. You want black officers whether they are the best applicant or not. That's discrimination and it's wrong.
I do not live in the past. I want the police to reflect the community. So yes I do want qualified black candidates policing my city. Discriminating against qualified black applicants is wrong. Choosing less qualified white applicants over black applicants is wrong.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
I do not live in the past. I want the police to reflect the community. So yes I do want qualified black candidates policing my city. Discriminating against qualified black applicants is wrong. Choosing less qualified white applicants over black applicants is wrong.
Exactly what I've been saying. The best applicant should get the job. You however, want black officers even if they're not the best applicant. That's the definition of discrimination.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:39 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Is this a Pirates thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh