Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 01:12 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
An unfortunate reality is that many suburbanites look at the city with disdain (and vice versa of course). I really don't want people that are in control of my freedom automatically have a lower opinion of me due to my geographical location.
This is exactly how I feel and I disagree with the current policy we have in Erie:

"Need not be a resident of the City of Erie, but must be able to move within a fifteen (15) mile radius of the City of Erie; time will be allotted for the applicant to do so."

Recruitment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 01:16 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
An unfortunate reality is that many suburbanites look at the city with disdain (and vice versa of course). I really don't want people that are in control of my freedom automatically have a lower opinion of me due to my geographical location.

Not to mention, I wouldn't doubt that neighborhood such as Lincoln Place would decline as higher income earners leave so that they can send their kids to decent schools.
plenty of city residents have disdain for other city neighborhoods

Old 03-13-2014, 01:56 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,826,595 times
I see no reason for a neighborhood like Lincoln Place to continue to exist... it was essentially a haven for police officers who REALLY wanted a suburban lifestyle but were forced to reside within the boundaries of the city. Now, with the residency requirement gone... it has no appeal whatsoever.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:05 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I see no reason for a neighborhood like Lincoln Place to continue to exist... it was essentially a haven for police officers who REALLY wanted a suburban lifestyle but were forced to reside within the boundaries of the city. Now, with the residency requirement gone... it has no appeal whatsoever.
To be clear, it was originally part of West Mifflin. It seceded in the 1920s because West Mifflin refused to build a new elementary school. Pittsburgh built the school, and the rest is history.

I can't say I see the appeal of Lincoln place (and my wife's grandmother had a house there up until recently, so I've seen a lot of the area). That said, given how bad Steel Valley and West Mifflin schools are, this might be one of the only areas (outside of say the Woodland Hills border with the city) where people choose the city over the immediate suburbs nearby.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:53 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,092,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63
I didnt give a timetable but why stay? Taxes are high and public schools suck. 25 air miles gets you well out of allegheny county. Good for the cops. Hopefully all city employees get the same option.

Cleveland and philly lifted residency requirements a few years ago.

Quote:
Did Cleveland suffer the same apocalyptic fate you are envisioning for Pittsburgh?

[crickets]

Old 03-13-2014, 04:56 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm confused. Haven't you said before the City is the only good part of Allegheny County, and the rest is stagnant and dying? If so, why are you rubbing your hands with glee at the ability of people to move out of the city (including yourself, IIRC).
You haven't realized yet that this person doesn't make a whole lot of sense?

Old 03-13-2014, 04:58 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
My guess is a lot of cops will move out of the city when their kids go to 7th grade, can't blame them. The City schools are lousy. BUT, most twp/boros require their employees to live there. Don't have a problem with that.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:26 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Quote:
There are some beautiful 1920s -1930s homes in Lincoln Place. They have large, well-maintained yards, and the neighborhood is clean and attractive. It may not have appeal to you, for whatever reason, but it's a nice neighborhood.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:27 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,510 times
So the police department is a department of 1,092 if my information is correct. How many of them, realistically, are going to move? Plenty of them own homes in the city, plenty of them are single and don't give a hoot about the district, etc. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that 50% or more city cops will stay in the city limits. I live not even 3 miles from Downtown. There's no chance in Hell that I would up and move to some suburb to start commuting all over again. Granted, I don't have children to consider and don't plan on having children, so I live in the city for convenience and by choice.

I had another thread when this was on the ballot with a poll. The poll even favored city cops living in the city. With that said, I'm not going to get into why I disagree with this, but, it will be interesting to see what, if any change on the city population this has. I know of a lieutenant who is single and owns a home--I highly doubt he's going to rush off to Cranberry--just because. I also know of a cop who has a family with a house in Shaler, but an apartment in Brookline. With that said, a cop living in Shaler doesn't bother me. You can be in the city limits in minutes. In Cranberry, however, different story.

As another poster pointed out, I wonder how this will effect vehicles. I do have a real problem with a city vehicle being driven clear to Cranberry for non-business purposes.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:28 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
The good news about all of this is maybe prices will come down on city real estate now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh