Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 12:04 AM

158 posts, read 227,188 times

Advertisements

No one is able to buy their 'dream home' in their 'dream neighborhood' when they're in their 20's or even 30's. Most people work for years, save hard, and buy their first, small, house in their 30's. They work on that home, upgrade it, save more money, move up in their career and buy their second home 10 or more years later. After another 10 years or so they MIGHT have worked hard enough, and saved enough, to begin to look for a home that is something closer to their 'dream home'. To expect to get to live exactly where you want, in the house you want, when you're in your 20's, is very unrealistic and setting yourself up to be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 04:16 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,895,327 times
housing crisis? if there was, i dont think the bakery square apartments would be charging a bit over $3,000/mo for an apartment. wow.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:46 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,964,234 times
Interesting comments about heating bills and the advantage of buying a smaller house. I'm curious what an average heating bill for January or February for a smaller house is.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:59 AM

SCR, here's a nice house in Troy Hill for under $60K. It's in the price range you said you could afford and in a neighborhood you've often talked about. It's not a palace, but it looks like a place with a lot of charm and potential to me. In a few more years you can move up to something you like better.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:55 AM

What do you guys think of this little house in Millvale?

506 Bauerlein St, Pittsburgh, PA 15209 is For Sale - Zillow

It needs work, but it's got off street parking, is under $40K and is in a pretty nice location (at least as far as I've heard). What do people who live there think of Millvale? It looks like a decent neighborhood to me, and fairly convenient.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:33 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,576,494 times
I don't think this is so much the "making fun of SCR" thread as the "getting the Brookline thread back on topic". As soon as SCR posts in any thread about how awful it is that he can't afford his preferred lifestyle at age 27 without compromise, the thread goes off the rails for several pages. Maybe someone thinking about Brookline stumbles across that thread and gets turned off by it, who knows? It does seem like it could be contained in a EEHC thread and not end up taking over multiple threads, but there again by that time the original thread on Brookline rebranding had probably run out by then.

Also, for the record, not being able to afford a neighborhood doesn't mean the people who live there are trustafarians or pretentious or "phonies" which is the newest one. For some of us it means we chose a well paying job, worked hard, got promoted, and bought our first house after age 30. I know a lot of people with six figure incomes who still won't cross a picket line. We're all just people.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
What do you guys think of this little house in Millvale?

506 Bauerlein St, Pittsburgh, PA 15209 is For Sale - Zillow

It needs work, but it's got off street parking, is under $40K and is in a pretty nice location (at least as far as I've heard). What do people who live there think of Millvale? It looks like a decent neighborhood to me, and fairly convenient.
He only wants to live in city limits iirc. Part of the whole restoring the city by living in the city and working in the city thing.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I don't think this is so much the "making fun of SCR" thread as the "getting the Brookline thread back on topic".
I'm going for option #3 as far as what the point of this thread is. I think this thread is all about finding hidden treasures--prices may be going up so it's fun to look at the inexpensive houses that are still available and consider neighborhoods that haven't yet become trendy (but are still very interesting). Whether SCR wants any of these houses or not is a moot point, to me.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 AM

I think the general consensus with Millvale is that if you like blue collar grit and rowhomes reminiscent of pre gentrification Bloomfield or Lawrenceville with easy access to downtown and with an intact shopping district and not far from a bike trail, it's a good option, but (1) parts of it flood and (2) there is too much section 8 for some people. Bonus points for Jean-Marc Chatellier of course. It looks too scruffy for a lot of people but that is the very thing tha charms others.
The house listed I thought looked like an orphaned rowhome, but the row nearest it doesn't look like it, two windows wide instead of three. On the other side of it though there is also a big gap so it's hard to say what that used to be.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:00 AM

6,596 posts, read 8,916,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Interesting comments about heating bills and the advantage of buying a smaller house. I'm curious what an average heating bill for January or February for a smaller house is.
1,200 square feet+heated basement, newer single pane windows, and forced air furnace from the 2000's runs me about $150 in a normal winter month. For this year I jumped up to $220 and $250 during the run of subzero temps.

Last edited by ferraris; 03-19-2014 at 09:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh