Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 10:32 AM

6 posts, read 9,469 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered why Pittsburgh is not included in the list of major cities on the side of craigslist. The Pittsburgh metro area is much larger than some other ones included on there. I find it somewhat insulting to have Pittsburgh not included in that list and it's not a good look for the city. I've reached out to craigslist but got no answer. What are your thoughts and how can we help get this resolved? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 10:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Pittsburgh's Craig's List isn't very active. I've been checking it daily for a few months. There's just a bunch of garbage on there, and the new ads are far and few between. I attribute this to the frugal lifestyle of Pittsburghers not replacing anything until it's outdated or broken. I have almost resorted to posting on CD asking if anyone was selling X, Y or Z. I've checked other metros and there's great stuff and tons of new ads. Until Pittsburgh starts utilizing Craig's List more, it doesn't deserve special recognition.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:29 AM

912 posts, read 1,733,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Pittsburgh's Craig's List isn't very active. I've been checking it daily for a few months. There's just a bunch of garbage on there, and the new ads are far and few between. I attribute this to the frugal lifestyle of Pittsburghers not replacing anything until it's outdated or broken. I have almost resorted to posting on CD asking if anyone was selling X, Y or Z. I've checked other metros and there's great stuff and tons of new ads. Until Pittsburgh starts utilizing Craig's List more, it doesn't deserve special recognition.
Which section(s) are you checking daily? It seems pretty active to me. Sure there's a lot of spam (rental companies, ticket dealers, etc.), but I've had success on the Pittsburgh CL. I found my current house there last summer. I bought a bike that was posted there last month. I've bought and sold tickets to concerts and Pirates games there as well.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Which section(s) are you checking daily? It seems pretty active to me. Sure there's a lot of spam (rental companies, ticket dealers, etc.), but I've had success on the Pittsburgh CL. I found my current house there last summer. I bought a bike that was posted there last month. I've bought and sold tickets to concerts and Pirates games there as well.
I type certain words in the for sale search. Lately I'm looking for high end appliances and a top quality antique farm table. (I'm determined to have what I want and stay in budget on my kitchen remodel. LOL) What's on there is either garbage, too high priced, or sells in less than 24 hours. The sales person at Hgregg told me to wait---everyone remodels their kitchens in the spring and summer. But I could find anything I wanted on other cities' craig's list pages all winter!

Old 04-21-2014, 12:16 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,973,050 times
I've always been pretty successful finding antiques on Craig's List. I have an Android app that does a daily search and pings me when it gets a hit.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
I've always been pretty successful finding antiques on Craig's List. I have an Android app that does a daily search and pings me when it gets a hit.
I need that app. I've missed things just hours after being posted.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:22 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball70 View Post
I have always wondered why Pittsburgh is not included in the list of major cities on the side of craigslist. The Pittsburgh metro area is much larger than some other ones included on there. I find it somewhat insulting to have Pittsburgh not included in that list and it's not a good look for the city. I've reached out to craigslist but got no answer. What are your thoughts and how can we help get this resolved? Thanks!

Craigslist must have talked to Pennsylvania state government, who believe that everything west of Harrisburg should be part of OH and WV, or that nothing exists west of Harrisburg. I'm not sure which it is, but things have been that way as long as I can remember.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:07 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,224,689 times
I can't complain. Picked up a lot of good used electronic items (stereos, tvs, speakers, scanners, etc) over the years in like new condition & work fine for cheap.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:36 PM

419 posts, read 552,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball70 View Post
I have to disagree with this one. I've found Pittsburgh's finest women on Casual Encounters on there.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:46 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,901 times
I've used Pittsburgh Craigslist many times to sell my moving supplies with each round of unpacking. I also sold the stove that the former owners had here after I remodeled my kitchen. And I've used it to look for used furniture as I moved from a much smaller place in SF and need stuff. Not nearly as busy as the Bay Area CL, but plenty active for this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh